2012 Election Results: Mitt Romney Self-Destructs Again
Defeated presidential nominee
He did so in a conference call with donors saying President Obama won reelection essentially by bestowing "gifts" to minority voters, the young and women through his policies and campaign promises. Romney cited the extended benefits of the Affordable Care Act, free contraceptives and forgiveness of interest on college loans essentially as bribes that helped put Obama over the top.
That is how he explained the overwhelming support these voters gave the president, including more than 70 percent among Hispanic and Asians and 94 percent from fellow blacks. Their turnout for Obama more than countered Romney's success with white, male voters, many of whom responded to the loser's pitch to repeal "Obamacare" and the other policy goodies in his own bag of temptations for their ballots.
Still other Republicans explained their nominee's loss of the
Romney apparently again naively thought what he was saying in the conference call would not get beyond his immediate listeners. He offered that "the Obama campaign was following the old playbook of giving a lot of stuff to groups" to get their votes, "specifically the African-American community, the Hispanic community and young people."
Reporters, doing what they do, either knew of the call and tapped into it or learned of Romney's remarks from folks who conveyed them to newspapers like the
At a post-election gathering of the
The incoming chairman of the RGA,
Ironically, Romney, who in his second failed presidential bid was seeking to achieve the presidency that the late
Then, the father came a-cropper for saying, after a trip to
In blaming his loss on unreachable voters corralled by an opponent's promises, which after all is what campaigns are all about, Romney and his party could well learn a lesson from
Romney instead, running as the nominee of a party seen too often as one of exclusion, paid the price, and now is bellyaching about Obama's appeal to many who saw themselves as excluded, or being dismissed as willing dependents on big government.
A danger for the party in Romney's defeat would be to regard it as simply a matter of having nominated the wrong candidate. In a way, he may have unwittingly underscored that the
Read the latest political news.
- Corporate Bosses Gone Berserk
- The Trojan Horse in the Debt Debate
- The Real Problem with Military Spending
- Without Unity, We'll Tumble Over the Fiscal Cliff
- The Classy Election of 2012
- Karl Rove: The Biggest Loser in Politics
- Will the Supreme Court Dismantle the Voting Rights Act?
- The Pollution of Political Discourse
- The Sad State of Zealots with Microphones
- Mitt Romney's Uncertain Legacy
- Obama's Re-Election: Oh, We Forgot to Tell You ...
- Republicans and Democrats Playing Game of Economic Chicken
- Petraeus Yet Another High-Ranking Military Official Mired in Scandal
- David Petraeus: Sex and the City (of Washington)
- David Petraeus: What Obama Did Not Need to Know
- David Petraeus: The Public's Need to Know or Not
- The French View of The Petraeus Sex Scandal
- Mitt Romney's 'Gifts' Gaffe
- Mitt Romney Self-Destructs Again
- Ballot Measures Reveal Electorate No Longer in a Tea Partying Mood
- Real Facts Catch Up with the GOP Spin Doctors
- 2012 Election Results: Changing America
- 2012 Election Results: The Right Is Not Waving a White Flag
- Whither the GOP?
- GOP's Biggest Problem is Itself
- 2012 Election Results: Compassionate Conservatism Redux
- Election was a Turning Point for Latinos
- Republicans Need to Rethink Future; Latinos Here to Help
- 2012 Election Results: Once Again, Florida is the National Punchline
- GOP Defeated by Single Women
- 2012 Election Results: The Mandate
- 2012 Election Results: A Victory for Creatures of the State
- Let's Make Sure Every Vote Matters
- Obama Re-Elected as President
- Obama Victory Speech Talks About Reconciliation and Hope
- Romney Ends Presidential Run, Congratulates Obama's Election Win in Concession Speech
- GOP Retains House Majority But Democrats Keep Control of Senate
- Obama Re-election the Result of Increasingly Diverse Electorate
- Voters Said No to 'Politics of Pitchforks'
- Obama Presses On
- Four More Years of Decline
- An America Yet to Be Born
- Democrats' Medicare Offensive Falls Flat Against GOP
- Federal Deficit Talks Could Impact Obama's Moves On Health Law
- Groundhog Day in America
- 10 Reasons Latinos Voted for Obama
- The New American Civil War
- What's Next?
- Nate Silver's Numbers Racket
- Florida Voters Won't Be Fooled Again -- or Will We?
- A Date with History: The Cuban Missile Crisis
- United States Presidential Elections in Perspective
- Early Latino Turnout Could Swing Vote
- A Letter to Women Voters
- The Final Days, The Biggest Issue and The Clearest Choice
- Another Electoral College Nightmare?
- Why We're Still in Deep Trouble No Matter Who Wins The Presidency
- FEMA vs 'Romnesia'
- An Unscripted October Surprise
- Stormy Weather Politics
- Storm Saves Obama From Himself
2012 Election Results: Mitt Romney Self-Destructs Again | Politics
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc