Obama Re-Elected as President
President Barack Obama captured a number of battleground states including Ohio on Tuesday's election to beat Republican rival Mitt Romney and won another four-year term in the White House.
The president also pocketed swing states Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, New Hampshire and Michigan, a state which Romney's father used to serve as governor.
It took longer for other swing states to be called including Iowa, North Carolina and Ohio since they were too close to call.
It became clear that the president was going to be re-elected a few minutes after 11 PM Eastern Time when news media projected Ohio will go for the president, which essentially ensured that he will go over the 270 electoral votes needed to win the presidency. Both sides have long considered Ohio as key to winning the elections.
Romney claimed the early advantage after winning several solid Republican states as well as a crucial win in North Carolina.
Obama got a huge boost by winning battleground states New Hampshire, Wisconsin and Iowa before being declared winner of electoral votes-rich California, which conveniently put him way ahead of the former Massachusetts governor.
Most states saw high turnout but the result showed no surprise in the electoral map. By carrying most of the battleground states, Obama's margin rose as polls closed in the West coast.
Tuesday's elections marked the end of a long, grueling race.
It concluded Romney's six-year run for the presidency. Obama will get a fresh four-year term and is expected to deal with another divided Congress. The Republicans are expected to win the House while the Democrats will likely retain control of the Senate.
After he was projected to win re-election, President Obama posted a message from his Twitter account thanking his supporters. Nancy Cordes reports from the President's victory rally in Chicago and Jan Crawford reports on the mood from the Romney rally in Boston
Obama thanks supporters on Twitter after re-election
Read the latest political news.
- Corporate Bosses Gone Berserk
- The Trojan Horse in the Debt Debate
- The Real Problem with Military Spending
- Without Unity, We'll Tumble Over the Fiscal Cliff
- The Classy Election of 2012
- Karl Rove: The Biggest Loser in Politics
- Will the Supreme Court Dismantle the Voting Rights Act?
- The Pollution of Political Discourse
- The Sad State of Zealots with Microphones
- Mitt Romney's Uncertain Legacy
- Obama's Re-Election: Oh, We Forgot to Tell You ...
- Republicans and Democrats Playing Game of Economic Chicken
- Petraeus Yet Another High-Ranking Military Official Mired in Scandal
- David Petraeus: Sex and the City (of Washington)
- David Petraeus: What Obama Did Not Need to Know
- David Petraeus: The Public's Need to Know or Not
- The French View of The Petraeus Sex Scandal
- Mitt Romney's 'Gifts' Gaffe
- Mitt Romney Self-Destructs Again
- Ballot Measures Reveal Electorate No Longer in a Tea Partying Mood
- Real Facts Catch Up with the GOP Spin Doctors
- 2012 Election Results: Changing America
- 2012 Election Results: The Right Is Not Waving a White Flag
- Whither the GOP?
- GOP's Biggest Problem is Itself
- 2012 Election Results: Compassionate Conservatism Redux
- Election was a Turning Point for Latinos
- Republicans Need to Rethink Future; Latinos Here to Help
- 2012 Election Results: Once Again, Florida is the National Punchline
- GOP Defeated by Single Women
- 2012 Election Results: The Mandate
- 2012 Election Results: A Victory for Creatures of the State
- Let's Make Sure Every Vote Matters
- Obama Re-Elected as President
- Obama Victory Speech Talks About Reconciliation and Hope
- Romney Ends Presidential Run, Congratulates Obama's Election Win in Concession Speech
- GOP Retains House Majority But Democrats Keep Control of Senate
- Obama Re-election the Result of Increasingly Diverse Electorate
- Voters Said No to 'Politics of Pitchforks'
- Obama Presses On
- Four More Years of Decline
- An America Yet to Be Born
- Democrats' Medicare Offensive Falls Flat Against GOP
- Federal Deficit Talks Could Impact Obama's Moves On Health Law
- Groundhog Day in America
- 10 Reasons Latinos Voted for Obama
- The New American Civil War
- What's Next?
- Nate Silver's Numbers Racket
- Florida Voters Won't Be Fooled Again -- or Will We?
- A Date with History: The Cuban Missile Crisis
- United States Presidential Elections in Perspective
- Early Latino Turnout Could Swing Vote
- A Letter to Women Voters
- The Final Days, The Biggest Issue and The Clearest Choice
- Another Electoral College Nightmare?
- Why We're Still in Deep Trouble No Matter Who Wins The Presidency
- FEMA vs 'Romnesia'
- An Unscripted October Surprise
- Stormy Weather Politics
- Storm Saves Obama From Himself
Obama Re-Elected as President | Politics
AHN - All Rights Reserved