Old Wives' Tales About Dogs: Dispelled
Is it true that seven human years are equivalent to one dog year? Can dogs really smell cancer? Here, we debunk some commonly held canine myths.
Though many believe one human year equals seven dog years, this is a common misconception. When your dog reaches 2 years of age, it will age about five dog years to every human year in smaller to medium-sized breeds, and one human year for every six to seven dog years in larger breeds.
A dog's nose can actually change color in the winter months due to a condition called snow nose (or winter nose). In winter months, owners of black-nosed dogs may notice their pets' noses turning a pinkish color, which is believed to be caused by an enzyme deficiency. Any sudden changes should be examined by a veterinarian.
The ability of dogs to detect cancer via scent receptors ("their sniffer") is, in fact, a truth. A German research report revealed that dogs are able to find early-stage lung cancer, and countless reports have revealed that canines can sniff a cancerous growth in humans long before the growth is visible with the naked human eye.
When a dog wags its tail, it is not necessarily a sign of friendliness. Dogs wag when they are fearful, disconcerted, aroused and more. Watch its body language, such as posture and ear positioning, and always ask a dog's owner about petting it first.
Dogs that eat grass are not necessarily sick. Some dogs may like the taste, but other theories suggest their bodies might instinctively crave nutrients that are lacking in their regular diet.
Finding a puddle of piddle in the house may not be pleasant for humans, but dogs do not feel guilt when humans disapprove. Instead, they are reacting to the emotional response of their owner, regardless of when the accident occurred.
Recent Pet Articles
- Is Your Dog Ready for Agility?
- When Should You Tell Your Dog 'No'?
- How to Plan a First-class Puppy Playgroup
- Dog Lovers: You Too Can Have a Garden!
- Are Tennis Balls Safe for Your Dog?
- 4 Simple Steps to Stop Dog Jumping
- Minimize the Shedding: Essential Springtime Dog-grooming Tips
- Grooming Curly-haired Dogs
- Why Your Dog Needs Vaccinations
- Old Wives' Tales About Dogs: Dispelled
- New Supplement Can Help Your Dog's Digestion
- What Snoring Says About Your Dog's Health
- The Dog Olympics
- Stop Cat Bullying
- Turn Your Cat Into a Social Media Star
- Best Books for Cat Lovers
- Improve Your Senior Cat's Eating Behavior
- Find Your Perfect Kitten
- Don't Declaw Your Cat: Furniture-saving Tips and Tricks
- Common Eye Problems in Cats
- Cat Displacement Behavior
- Luxury Hotels for Cats
- The Right Way to Handle Puppy Behavior Issues
- The Silken Windhound: A Low-maintenance Beauty
- Is Your Puppy Ready for Sports?
- Dog-friendly Spring-cleaning: A How-to Guide
- Dog Training Partner
- How to Help Keep an Aging Cat Healthy
- Do Bored Cats Sleep More?
- The Agile Cat
- Cat Athletes With Summer Olympics Talents
- Why Cats Have Whiskers
- 5 Ways to Save on Pet Costs
- 10 Questions a Dog Breeder Wants to Ask You
- Puppy Socialization: A Trainer's Top Tips
- The Real Story Behind Dog Odors
- Apps for Dogs
- Easy Ways to Reduce Pet Allergens in Your Home
- Benefits of Owning a Senior Dog
- What Makes a Dog Yawn?
- 10 Ways to Keep Your Dog Happy This Spring
- Are You Protecting Your Dog's Health?
- Does Breeding Impact Dog Behavior?
- Dog Treadmills: Safe or Hazardous?
- The Irish Setter: Fun Wears a Red Coat
- How to Read Your Dog
- Games to Download for Your Cat
- Is It Too Late to Train Your Senior Cat?
- How Cats Show Their Happiness
- Natural Ways to Eliminate Litter Box Odor
- Are You Protecting Your Cat's Health?
- Is a Toy Dog Breed Your Best Match?
- Introducing Your Older Dog to Your New Puppy
- True Stories of Presidential Dogs
- Off the Beaten Career Path With Dogs
- Best Sleep Position for Dogs
- Keep Your Dog Safe on Night Walks
- How to Exercise Your Cat
- Why Your Cat Acts Stressed and Anxious
- Hidden Causes of Cat Obesity
- Lower Your Stress with a Cat
- The Cat Connection to Dating and Romance
- Make Your Senior Dog Feel at Home
- Top 5 Ways to Improve Life for Your Senior Dog
- Healthy Nutrition for Your Senior Dog
- How to Care for Your Arthritic Dog
- How to Introduce Your Puppy to Your Cat
- Tibetan Spaniels: The Dog for Cat People
- How You and Your Dog Can Go Green
- Dieting With My Dog
- Dog Fitness Centers
- Running With Your Dog During Cooler Weather
- Take Care of Your Dog's Hot Spots
- How to Introduce a New Pet to Your Old Pet
- Should You Clothe Your Cat?
- Cat Sleep Routines
- Can You Give Your Cat a Bath?
- Healthy Nutrition for Your Senior Cat
- Top 3 Apps for Cats
- Breed Match
- Doga: Yoga Your Dog Will Love
- Groom Your Dog Like a Pro
- Puppy, Get That out of Your Mouth!
- Terminate Stinky Dog Breath
- The Schipperke: Escape Artist Extraordinaire
- Help Your Dog Cope With Holiday Guests
- Coping With the Loss of a Dog
- Cat Breeds for Dog Lovers
- Teach Your Dog to Enjoy Your Garden Without Destroying It
- How to Play Tug-of-war With Dogs
- Size up Your Puppy's Food
- What's Not to Love About Yorkies?
- What to Ask a Dog Breeder
- Train Your Aggressive, Biting Kitten
- Can Cats Find Their Way Home?
- Caring for Your Arthritic Cat
- Keep Your Cat Calm During Storms
- Top 5 Ways to Improve Life for Your Senior Cat
Copyright © 2012 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.