2 1/2 stars
The tween-minded zombie romance "Warm Bodies" pulls a comic-romantic twist on a genre better known for its entrails. It is narrated by the undead fellow known as R, played by
The voice-over narration confirms our hero's sensitive side. "I just want to connect," he tells us, accompanying footage of R stumbling around an abandoned airport on an ordinary undead day, among his fellow zombies in a post-apocalyptic landscape. R covets his long-playing records (actual vinyl!), and like the title character in "Wall-E," he's a collector and a nostalgist by nature. All he needs is love.
The film, written and directed by
Palmer's character, Julie, is the overprotected daughter of General Grigio, leader of the movement to keep the zombies at bay on the other side of the quarantine wall. (What's up with that character name? Is he a crew chief at
We're a long way from the manic, repulsive, jolly slapstick of "Zombieland." This is more like a sensitively bent version of a
Levine has a strong instinct as a packager of moments, ladling on the alt-rock just so before ladling on another ladle's worth. So far he's proven himself wildly uneven, careening from the smugness of "The Wackness" to the heartening success of "50/50." "Warm Bodies" lands somewhere between the two.
<< RETURN TO MOVIE REVIEWS ...
"Warm Bodies" Movie Trailer
MPAA rating: PG-13 (for zombie violence and some language).
Running time: 1:37.
Credits: Written and directed by
Recent Movie Reviews - Films in Theaters
- 'Oz: The Great and Powerful'
- '21 and Over'
- 'Like Someone in Love'
- Argo Wins Top Oscar Prize
- Daniel Day-Lewis Wins 3rd Oscar for 'Lincoln'
- Jennifer Lawrence Makes Up for Forgotten Thank You's during Oscars
- Oscars 2013: Stars Shine at 85th Academy Awards
- 2013 Oscars Winners List
- Anne Hathaway Apologizes for Last-Minute Dress Switch at Oscars
- 'The Gatekeepers'
- Hollywood Prepares for Oscars Night
- 'Amour' Favorite for Best Foreign Film Oscar
- The 2013 Academy Awards by the Numbers
- With Lincoln, Daniel Day-Lewis Ponders 3rd Oscar
- Nominated Movie Scores Feature Sophistication, Cultural Diversity
- Afghan Coming-of-Age Film is Oscar Contender
- 'Life of Pi's Ang Lee Conquers Anti-Asian Bias
- Most Entertaining Documentary May Win The Oscar
- Oscar-Nominated Film Traces Journey of Ailing African Youngsters
- Sci-Tech Oscars Honor Science of Movie-Making
- Palestinians Hope to Tell Their Story Through the Oscars
- History of the Academy Awards and Oscars
- Host Your Own Oscars Party
- Oscars Party Recipes
- Our Favorite Food Movies
- 'Beautiful Creatures'
- 'A Good Day to Die Hard'
- 'Safe Haven'
- 'A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III'
- 'Side Effects'
- 'Identity Thief'
- 'John Dies at the End'
- Nominees and Movie Fans Get Ready for Oscars
- Two Films, Directors Are Top Oscar Contenders
- 'Warm Bodies'
- 'Bullet to the Head'
- 'Stand Up Guys'
- '56 Up'
- Broken City
- The Last Stand
- Argo Wins Top Prize at Golden Globe Awards
- 'Lincoln' Leads Oscar Nominations
- Gangster Squad
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Price Check
- Joe Morgenstern's Top Films of 2012
- Promised Land
- Les Miserables
- Django Unchained
- The Guilt Trip
- Jack Reacher
- This is 40
- Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away
- The Impossible
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
- Hyde Park on Hudson
- Playing for Keeps
- The Central Park Five
- Life of Pi
- Red Dawn
- Rise of The Guardians
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2
- Anna Karenina
- Silver Linings Playbook
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.