The Last Stand
2 1/2 stars
The question with "The Last Stand,"
The answer falls somewhere squarely in the middle. For sure, "The Last Stand" is no "Terminator," but it is a fun, if predictable, action-thriller that has no problem gently reminding you how old he is -- 66 -- while simultaneously having him give the world's most dangerous drug-cartel kingpin a brain-banging beat-down.
Schwarzenegger is Sheriff
Little does he know that, miles away in
Angry federal agent
South Korean director Jee-woon Kim ("The Good, The Bad, the Weird"; "I Saw the Devil"), working from a script by
That helps distract viewers from the story's outbursts of improbability. (No one even suspects that a large bridge, not hidden by foliage and easily seen from the air, is being built by a criminal gang near their town? Really?)
Certainly, Schwarzenegger moves a bit slower than he used to. There are a couple of moments when you almost hear the bones creaking. But he can still deliver the hurt to some bad guys.
That's the main thing anyone going to see this film cares about. With "Terminator 5" announced and a fleet of other Schwarzenegger movies in the pipeline, those afraid "The Last Stand" indeed would be Arnold's last stand can breathe a sigh of relief.
He'll be back.
"The Last Stand" Movie Trailer
MPAA rating: R (strong bloody violence throughout, strong language).
Running time: 1:47.
Credits: Directed by Ji-woon Kim; written by
<< RETURN TO MOVIE REVIEWS ...
Recent Movie Reviews - Films in Theaters
- 'Oz: The Great and Powerful'
- '21 and Over'
- 'Like Someone in Love'
- Argo Wins Top Oscar Prize
- Daniel Day-Lewis Wins 3rd Oscar for 'Lincoln'
- Jennifer Lawrence Makes Up for Forgotten Thank You's during Oscars
- Oscars 2013: Stars Shine at 85th Academy Awards
- 2013 Oscars Winners List
- Anne Hathaway Apologizes for Last-Minute Dress Switch at Oscars
- 'The Gatekeepers'
- Hollywood Prepares for Oscars Night
- 'Amour' Favorite for Best Foreign Film Oscar
- The 2013 Academy Awards by the Numbers
- With Lincoln, Daniel Day-Lewis Ponders 3rd Oscar
- Nominated Movie Scores Feature Sophistication, Cultural Diversity
- Afghan Coming-of-Age Film is Oscar Contender
- 'Life of Pi's Ang Lee Conquers Anti-Asian Bias
- Most Entertaining Documentary May Win The Oscar
- Oscar-Nominated Film Traces Journey of Ailing African Youngsters
- Sci-Tech Oscars Honor Science of Movie-Making
- Palestinians Hope to Tell Their Story Through the Oscars
- History of the Academy Awards and Oscars
- Host Your Own Oscars Party
- Oscars Party Recipes
- Our Favorite Food Movies
- 'Beautiful Creatures'
- 'A Good Day to Die Hard'
- 'Safe Haven'
- 'A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III'
- 'Side Effects'
- 'Identity Thief'
- 'John Dies at the End'
- Nominees and Movie Fans Get Ready for Oscars
- Two Films, Directors Are Top Oscar Contenders
- 'Warm Bodies'
- 'Bullet to the Head'
- 'Stand Up Guys'
- '56 Up'
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters'
- Broken City
- The Last Stand
- Argo Wins Top Prize at Golden Globe Awards
- 'Lincoln' Leads Oscar Nominations
- Gangster Squad
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Price Check
- Joe Morgenstern's Top Films of 2012
- Promised Land
- Les Miserables
- Django Unchained
- The Guilt Trip
- Jack Reacher
- This is 40
- Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away
- The Impossible
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
- Hyde Park on Hudson
- Playing for Keeps
- The Central Park Five
- Life of Pi
- Red Dawn
- Rise of The Guardians
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2
- Anna Karenina
- Silver Linings Playbook
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.