Compiled by Amy Ephron and Lisa Dinsmore
We received a letter from a reader telling us how how much she loved the scene in "Desk Set" (a film that
Favorite food scene! I won't say it was "The Dead," which involved sitting in front of fish-fed goose for three weeks! I would have to say "
The scene in
I guess the most memorable food scene in movies for me is from "What Ever Happened to
I'd have to say the "who gets the last brownie" scene in "Notting Hill," where the saddest story wins. Clever, funny, poignant and, as an actress, unfortunately true. I would have given Julia the brownie.
For me, my favorite food scenes in a movie are the opening credits of "Napoleon Dynamite." Spending most of my days coaxing out the beauty of food in romantic and ethereal contexts for photographs, seeing it displayed so crudely and devoid of romance was refreshing and full of humor the first time I saw it. To this day, it still makes me chuckle, and I cannot think of Tater Tots or mustard the same way.
A film we quote almost once a month, whenever we eat pasta is "The Odd Couple." Felix: "It's not spaghetti, it's linguini." Oscar throws the plate against the wall. "Now it's garbage." Finally, his own F.U. to Felix.
Being an obsessed food and movie lover, it's hard to narrow it down to just one scene. There are just too many, and my favorite depends on my mood. If you're looking for the best movies about food my Top 5 are: "Tampopo," "Mostly Martha," "Ratatouille," "Big Night" and "Eat Drink Man Woman."
As a wine lover, I have to say the films that showcase an alcoholic beverage to the best comedic and clever effect are "Arsenic and Old Lace" and "The Princess Bride." Who would believe what those two little old ladies were up to? It's inconceivable! Hands down the funniest wine tasting on film goes to the ladies from "AbFab." Pure drunken hilarity. The food scene I wish I could re-enact one day in real life has to be
The bean eating scene in "Blazing Saddles" because, well, I'm immature. OK? At least I admit it.
<< RETURN TO MOVIE REVIEWS ...
Recent Movie Reviews - Films in Theaters
- 'The Company You Keep'
- 'The Place Beyond the Pines'
- 'Evil Dead'
- 'Jurassic Park 3-D'
- 'The Host'
- 'G.I. Joe: Retaliation'
- 'Gimme the Loot'
- 'The Croods'
- 'Olympus Has Fallen'
- 'Spring Breakers'
- 'On the Road'
- 'The Incredible Burt Wonderstone'
- 'The Call'
- 'Beyond the Hills'
- 'Oz: The Great and Powerful'
- '21 and Over'
- 'Like Someone in Love'
- Argo Wins Top Oscar Prize
- Daniel Day-Lewis Wins 3rd Oscar for 'Lincoln'
- Jennifer Lawrence Makes Up for Forgotten Thank You's during Oscars
- Oscars 2013: Stars Shine at 85th Academy Awards
- 2013 Oscars Winners List
- Anne Hathaway Apologizes for Last-Minute Dress Switch at Oscars
- 'The Gatekeepers'
- Hollywood Prepares for Oscars Night
- 'Amour' Favorite for Best Foreign Film Oscar
- The 2013 Academy Awards by the Numbers
- With Lincoln, Daniel Day-Lewis Ponders 3rd Oscar
- Nominated Movie Scores Feature Sophistication, Cultural Diversity
- Afghan Coming-of-Age Film is Oscar Contender
- 'Life of Pi's Ang Lee Conquers Anti-Asian Bias
- Most Entertaining Documentary May Win The Oscar
- Oscar-Nominated Film Traces Journey of Ailing African Youngsters
- Sci-Tech Oscars Honor Science of Movie-Making
- Palestinians Hope to Tell Their Story Through the Oscars
- History of the Academy Awards and Oscars
- Host Your Own Oscars Party
- Oscars Party Recipes
- Our Favorite Food Movies
- 'Beautiful Creatures'
- 'A Good Day to Die Hard'
- 'Safe Haven'
- 'A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III'
- 'Side Effects'
- 'Identity Thief'
- 'John Dies at the End'
- Nominees and Movie Fans Get Ready for Oscars
- Two Films, Directors Are Top Oscar Contenders
- 'Warm Bodies'
- 'Bullet to the Head'
- 'Stand Up Guys'
- '56 Up'
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters'
- Broken City
- The Last Stand
- Argo Wins Top Prize at Golden Globe Awards
- 'Lincoln' Leads Oscar Nominations
- Gangster Squad
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Price Check
Copyright © 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc.