One of the 2013 Academy Award nominees for Live-action Short Film is Buzkashi Boys, a coming-of-age story set in Afghanistan shows a side of life in Afghanistan seldom seen outside the country.
The film has vivid shots of the ancient Afghan sport called Buzkashi. It's a dangerous game played on horseback with a goat carcass.
In this drama, filmed in Kabul, two Afghan boys dream of becoming famous Buzkashi players.
The 29-minute film is a joint project of Western and Afghan filmmakers and was directed by documentary filmmaker Sam French. He has lived in Afghanistan since 2008.
The two young stars were 12 years old when the film was shot. Jawanmard Paiz is the son of a well-known Afghan actor and has acted before. Fawad Mohammadi is a newcomer whom the director knew from Chicken Street in Kabul.
"There's a bunch of kids that live on the street that try to sell you maps and bubble gum and be your body guard while you're there, street kids. And one of them was this kid Fawad who was unlike any of the other kids," French said. "He had this big huge heart, and he was incredibly nice, with big green eyes."
The boys play a street urchin and the son of a blacksmith. Their dreams conflict with their harsh reality. French says the boys became friends on the set and that helped make their acting believable.
Sam French oversaw production with Ariel Nasr, an Afghan-Canadian producer. Los Angeles filmmaker Martin Desmond Roe co-produced the film and helped write the script. "So our aim was to write something that was culturally sensitive but still honest," he said.
The filmmakers hope the project will help revive the Afghan film industry.
For the two young actors, the nomination means a trip to Hollywood, and for Fawad Mohammadi, a chance to meet Sylvester Stallone, his movie hero.
Fawad Mohammadi spent half his life peddling maps in and Jawanmard Paiz is the son of a well-known Afghan actor. Now both 14-year old actors are going to the Oscars with their nominated Live Action Short,"Buzkashi Boys"
Young Afghan Actors Get Ready for the Oscars
<< RETURN TO MOVIE REVIEWS ...
Recent Movie Reviews - Films in Theaters
- 'Oz: The Great and Powerful'
- '21 and Over'
- 'Like Someone in Love'
- Argo Wins Top Oscar Prize
- Daniel Day-Lewis Wins 3rd Oscar for 'Lincoln'
- Jennifer Lawrence Makes Up for Forgotten Thank You's during Oscars
- Oscars 2013: Stars Shine at 85th Academy Awards
- 2013 Oscars Winners List
- Anne Hathaway Apologizes for Last-Minute Dress Switch at Oscars
- 'The Gatekeepers'
- Hollywood Prepares for Oscars Night
- 'Amour' Favorite for Best Foreign Film Oscar
- The 2013 Academy Awards by the Numbers
- With Lincoln, Daniel Day-Lewis Ponders 3rd Oscar
- Nominated Movie Scores Feature Sophistication, Cultural Diversity
- Afghan Coming-of-Age Film is Oscar Contender
- 'Life of Pi's Ang Lee Conquers Anti-Asian Bias
- Most Entertaining Documentary May Win The Oscar
- Oscar-Nominated Film Traces Journey of Ailing African Youngsters
- Sci-Tech Oscars Honor Science of Movie-Making
- Palestinians Hope to Tell Their Story Through the Oscars
- History of the Academy Awards and Oscars
- Host Your Own Oscars Party
- Oscars Party Recipes
- Our Favorite Food Movies
- 'Beautiful Creatures'
- 'A Good Day to Die Hard'
- 'Safe Haven'
- 'A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III'
- 'Side Effects'
- 'Identity Thief'
- 'John Dies at the End'
- Nominees and Movie Fans Get Ready for Oscars
- Two Films, Directors Are Top Oscar Contenders
- 'Warm Bodies'
- 'Bullet to the Head'
- 'Stand Up Guys'
- '56 Up'
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters'
- Broken City
- The Last Stand
- Argo Wins Top Prize at Golden Globe Awards
- 'Lincoln' Leads Oscar Nominations
- Gangster Squad
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Price Check
VOA News. "Afghan Coming-of-Age Film is Oscar Contender"