'Bullet to the Head'
2 1/2 stars
We've been here before. The Sylvester Stallone vehicle "Bullet to the Head" concludes with an ax fight featuring Stallone against his sneering, murderous adversary, played by
If it gets this director back into the hard-driving action game, then it will have done its duty.
Back when he was hotter, Hill made "The Long Riders" and "48 Hrs." and the undervalued "Geronimo: An American Legend," and he knows a lot about how to film and frame and deliver violence and violent stories on screen. The style here -- hairline-to-chin close-ups, nervous, jacked-up editing -- isn't Hill at his best. But the movie has a certain grungy panache, "panache" being a French word and "Bullet to the Head" (initially titled "Headshot") being derived from a French graphic novel titled "Du Plomb Dans La Tete." So, voila.
The bare bones of the graphic novel remain, though a key plot element has been foregrounded. The movie wastes no time in bringing together the vicious but honorable hit man played by Stallone and the crusading police detective played by "Fast & Furious" co-star
The plot has something to do with police corruption and skeezy development deals and an incriminating flash drive. Stallone's character,
<< RETURN TO MOVIE REVIEWS ...
"Bullet to the Head" Movie Trailer
MPAA rating: R (for strong violence, bloody images, language, some nudity and brief drug use).
Running time: 1:31.
Cast: Sylvester Stallone (
Credits: Directed by
Recent Movie Reviews - Films in Theaters
- 'Oz: The Great and Powerful'
- '21 and Over'
- 'Like Someone in Love'
- Argo Wins Top Oscar Prize
- Daniel Day-Lewis Wins 3rd Oscar for 'Lincoln'
- Jennifer Lawrence Makes Up for Forgotten Thank You's during Oscars
- Oscars 2013: Stars Shine at 85th Academy Awards
- 2013 Oscars Winners List
- Anne Hathaway Apologizes for Last-Minute Dress Switch at Oscars
- 'The Gatekeepers'
- Hollywood Prepares for Oscars Night
- 'Amour' Favorite for Best Foreign Film Oscar
- The 2013 Academy Awards by the Numbers
- With Lincoln, Daniel Day-Lewis Ponders 3rd Oscar
- Nominated Movie Scores Feature Sophistication, Cultural Diversity
- Afghan Coming-of-Age Film is Oscar Contender
- 'Life of Pi's Ang Lee Conquers Anti-Asian Bias
- Most Entertaining Documentary May Win The Oscar
- Oscar-Nominated Film Traces Journey of Ailing African Youngsters
- Sci-Tech Oscars Honor Science of Movie-Making
- Palestinians Hope to Tell Their Story Through the Oscars
- History of the Academy Awards and Oscars
- Host Your Own Oscars Party
- Oscars Party Recipes
- Our Favorite Food Movies
- 'Beautiful Creatures'
- 'A Good Day to Die Hard'
- 'Safe Haven'
- 'A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III'
- 'Side Effects'
- 'Identity Thief'
- 'John Dies at the End'
- Nominees and Movie Fans Get Ready for Oscars
- Two Films, Directors Are Top Oscar Contenders
- 'Warm Bodies'
- 'Bullet to the Head'
- 'Stand Up Guys'
- '56 Up'
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters'
- Broken City
- The Last Stand
- Argo Wins Top Prize at Golden Globe Awards
- 'Lincoln' Leads Oscar Nominations
- Gangster Squad
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Price Check
- Joe Morgenstern's Top Films of 2012
- Promised Land
- Les Miserables
- Django Unchained
- The Guilt Trip
- Jack Reacher
- This is 40
- Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away
- The Impossible
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
- Hyde Park on Hudson
- Playing for Keeps
- The Central Park Five
- Life of Pi
- Red Dawn
- Rise of The Guardians
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2
- Anna Karenina
- Silver Linings Playbook
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.