'A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III'
1 1/2 stars
A vibe in no particular search of a plot, "A Glimpse Inside the Mind of
For his second stint in the feature director's chair (after 2001's "CQ"),
As the title character, Sheen is a playboy in 1970s
An animated-collage dissection of Swan's brain reveals, no surprise, an obsession with women. But the film is pretty tame on the matter of sex. Fantasy sequences give vent to his sense of being under siege by females who won't cut him any slack. These skits (in a film of skits) ride the line between period-specific POV and old-school offensiveness -- a tribe of lovelies in skimpy American Indian costumes goes on the warpath, for example -- and in any case aren't particularly funny.
For all his distress, Swan is not without emotional support -- from his singer-comedian best friend (
The earnest passages mostly just lie there; the film works best on its frilly, exuberant surface, as a valentine to streamline moderne, pop art and LA. Among the iconic locations Coppola uses, Randy's Donuts is especially well-chosen for a terrific nighttime scene involving an illicit purchase.
Like the films of
<< RETURN TO MOVIE REVIEWS ...
"A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III" Movie Trailer
MPAA rating: R (for language and some nudity).
Running time: 1:26.
Credits: Written and directed by
Recent Movie Reviews - Films in Theaters
- 'The Company You Keep'
- 'The Place Beyond the Pines'
- 'Evil Dead'
- 'Jurassic Park 3-D'
- 'The Host'
- 'G.I. Joe: Retaliation'
- 'Gimme the Loot'
- 'The Croods'
- 'Olympus Has Fallen'
- 'Spring Breakers'
- 'On the Road'
- 'The Incredible Burt Wonderstone'
- 'The Call'
- 'Beyond the Hills'
- 'Oz: The Great and Powerful'
- '21 and Over'
- 'Like Someone in Love'
- Argo Wins Top Oscar Prize
- Daniel Day-Lewis Wins 3rd Oscar for 'Lincoln'
- Jennifer Lawrence Makes Up for Forgotten Thank You's during Oscars
- Oscars 2013: Stars Shine at 85th Academy Awards
- 2013 Oscars Winners List
- Anne Hathaway Apologizes for Last-Minute Dress Switch at Oscars
- 'The Gatekeepers'
- Hollywood Prepares for Oscars Night
- 'Amour' Favorite for Best Foreign Film Oscar
- The 2013 Academy Awards by the Numbers
- With Lincoln, Daniel Day-Lewis Ponders 3rd Oscar
- Nominated Movie Scores Feature Sophistication, Cultural Diversity
- Afghan Coming-of-Age Film is Oscar Contender
- 'Life of Pi's Ang Lee Conquers Anti-Asian Bias
- Most Entertaining Documentary May Win The Oscar
- Oscar-Nominated Film Traces Journey of Ailing African Youngsters
- Sci-Tech Oscars Honor Science of Movie-Making
- Palestinians Hope to Tell Their Story Through the Oscars
- History of the Academy Awards and Oscars
- Host Your Own Oscars Party
- Oscars Party Recipes
- Our Favorite Food Movies
- 'Beautiful Creatures'
- 'A Good Day to Die Hard'
- 'Safe Haven'
- 'A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III'
- 'Side Effects'
- 'Identity Thief'
- 'John Dies at the End'
- Nominees and Movie Fans Get Ready for Oscars
- Two Films, Directors Are Top Oscar Contenders
- 'Warm Bodies'
- 'Bullet to the Head'
- 'Stand Up Guys'
- '56 Up'
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters'
- Broken City
- The Last Stand
- Argo Wins Top Prize at Golden Globe Awards
- 'Lincoln' Leads Oscar Nominations
- Gangster Squad
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Price Check
Copyright © 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc.