85th Academy Awards - 2013 Oscars
Oscars 2013: Stars Shine at 85th Academy Awards (Credit: Richard Harbaugh / AMPAS)
After winning the category achievement in directing for "Life of Pi", director Ang Lee poses in the audience with his Oscar
Hollywood's finest gathered for the Academy Awards ceremony in Los Angeles, with Ben Affleck's Iran hostage drama Argo edging out Steven Spielberg's Lincoln for best film of the year.
Daniel Day Lewis has won the best actor in a leading role Oscar for his role in Lincoln. The best actress in a leading role award went to Jennifer Lawrence for her role in Silver Linings Playbook.
Ann Hathaway won the best supporting actress Oscar for her role in the musical Les Miserables.
Christoph Waltz won the best supporting actor Academy Award for his role as a genteel bounty hunter in the film Django Unchained directed by Quentin Tarintino. Sunday's prize is Waltz's second supporting acting Academy Award. He won his first best supporting acting prize for his role as a Nazi in Tarintino's Inglourious Basterds.
Searching for Sugarman, the chronicle of a forgotten musician's rediscovery took home the Oscar for best documentary.
The French-language film Amour has won the best foreign language Academy Award.
This year's show featured a film tribute to the so-called "Bond girls" who have appeared the five decades of the British super-spy James Bond films. Halle Berry, herself a "Bond girl" introduced the tribute. Afterwards, Shirley Bassey sang Goldfinger.
Lincoln was the favorite film with 12 nominations when the Hollywood awards season started two months ago. But Argo has won the best picture honor in almost all the other awards this season.
Ang Lee won best director for Life of Pi.
The Oscar winners are chosen by some 5,800 movie industry professionals who are members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Seth MacFarlane hosted the 2013 Oscars show.
Nancy O'Dell gives highlights from the Oscars, from Jennifer Lawrence's fall and Daniel Day-Lewis' record-making win to Michelle Obama's surprise appearance from the White House
Highlights from Oscar night 2013
<< RETURN TO MOVIE REVIEWS ...
Recent Movie Reviews - Films in Theaters
- 'Oz: The Great and Powerful'
- '21 and Over'
- 'Like Someone in Love'
- Argo Wins Top Oscar Prize
- Daniel Day-Lewis Wins 3rd Oscar for 'Lincoln'
- Jennifer Lawrence Makes Up for Forgotten Thank You's during Oscars
- Oscars 2013: Stars Shine at 85th Academy Awards
- 2013 Oscars Winners List
- Anne Hathaway Apologizes for Last-Minute Dress Switch at Oscars
- 'The Gatekeepers'
- Hollywood Prepares for Oscars Night
- 'Amour' Favorite for Best Foreign Film Oscar
- The 2013 Academy Awards by the Numbers
- With Lincoln, Daniel Day-Lewis Ponders 3rd Oscar
- Nominated Movie Scores Feature Sophistication, Cultural Diversity
- Afghan Coming-of-Age Film is Oscar Contender
- 'Life of Pi's Ang Lee Conquers Anti-Asian Bias
- Most Entertaining Documentary May Win The Oscar
- Oscar-Nominated Film Traces Journey of Ailing African Youngsters
- Sci-Tech Oscars Honor Science of Movie-Making
- Palestinians Hope to Tell Their Story Through the Oscars
- History of the Academy Awards and Oscars
- Host Your Own Oscars Party
- Oscars Party Recipes
- Our Favorite Food Movies
- 'Beautiful Creatures'
- 'A Good Day to Die Hard'
- 'Safe Haven'
- 'A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III'
- 'Side Effects'
- 'Identity Thief'
- 'John Dies at the End'
- Nominees and Movie Fans Get Ready for Oscars
- Two Films, Directors Are Top Oscar Contenders
- 'Warm Bodies'
- 'Bullet to the Head'
- 'Stand Up Guys'
- '56 Up'
- 'Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters'
- Broken City
- The Last Stand
- Argo Wins Top Prize at Golden Globe Awards
- 'Lincoln' Leads Oscar Nominations
- Gangster Squad
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Price Check
VOA News. "Oscars 2013: Stars Shine at 85th Academy Awards"