Several years ago, I went to
No matter the time of day, the ride went like this: The train lumbered to a stop where hundreds waited to board what looked like cars that could accommodate exactly zero extra passengers. Yet somehow, some way, EVERYBODY got on. The car continued to the next stop where the identical scene occurred. Nobody seemed to get off. Because I did not know how to say, "Let me out of here" in Japanese, I often missed my stop. I wondered if there ever came a moment when a conductor would scream, "That's enough! No more!"
I'm starting to feel the same way about
This year, the
"Welcome to 'NFL Countdown' with Mike, Tom, Keyshawn, Jaws and, at the little table just off camera, Ray, Herm, Merril and Damien. That's all the time we have this week. See you next Sunday."
At least Lewis didn't pedal his skills to the 24-hour NFL Network, where he'd have to compete with Marshall, Steve, Warren, Michael, Kurt, Deion, Tom, Solomon, Darren, Dennis, Sterling, Brian and a few others who were hired in the time it took to write this sentence. Like
Just in case a network thinks breaking down X's and O's can't be handled by six, or, nine or 13 expositors, now comes word that former
"Looks like that kickoff is going out of the end zone. Mike, your thoughts?"
"Uh, yeah it did roll out, Joe. Now watch, the referee is going to place the ball on the 20-yard line. Did you see that?"
"Great call, Coach! If either team decides to punt this quarter, we'll check back with you."
On Super Bowl Sunday, I curled up on my couch and overindulged in three items: chili, chicken wings and a single, 60-minute football game. And as I listened to pre-game, post-game and halftime studio analysts scrutinize everything from the coin toss to the cheerleaders' outfits, I stifled the urge to leap high in the air and scream what every exhausted fan was probably thinking:
"Let me out of here!"
- Do You Take This Smartphone for Better or Worse?
- I'm Sweating It
- The TV Remote is Harvard's Answer to Birth Control
- When Selecting Wine, Choose Your Words Carefully
- Ray Lewis, Your Seat at The Kids Table is Ready
- Let's Name the Lottery Losers
- Snow Memories Warm the Heart
- Diplomacy: Lying Politely
- It Should Have Been Super
- Flu Sufferers, Your Facebook Posts are Making Me Sick
- Where Are All The Young Nudes?
- It's Your Cellphone That Makes You Fat!
- Things I Love to Hate
- Warm Coats and Inaugural Memories
- Searching For Life, Any Life, in Rural New Mexico
- Attention Sports Parents! In Cyberspace, No One Can Hear You Scream
- There's No Joy in Junking Your Christmas Tree
- Food for Holiday Thoughts
- White House Tweets That Never Were
- Warning: Antiques are Addictive
- Real Men Don't Wrap Christmas Gifts
- Lessons From a Reformed Cybershopper
- Make Christmas More Like Christmas
- Christmas: Fugeddaboutit!
- Preparing for Doomsday One Candle at a Time
- Horror Stories from a Black Friday Dad
- The Joys of Email Hacking
- Hard Choices in Store
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc.