That would be for the 20.5-carat engagement ring given to her by
Of course you did, honey. That ring has to fill a gaping hole where the basis for a marriage would normally be. And it has to be bigger than your sister's 9-carat ring or we might confuse you girls with the Ingalls sisters of TV fame.
In case you missed these headline-news events: Kim and Kris met when she was dating someone else who is also vaguely famous and have known each other now, all told, for maybe six months. This will be her second marriage at 30 years old.
I've been married only five years and I live in abject fear of the institution. The overachiever in me knows the odds are completely against my marriage lasting a lifetime. Even more so because I only had one year with my husband before I became engaged. A whole year that I kept telling him no matter what you do, "Don't buy me a giant engagement ring -- because it's the kiss of death."
Take the original princesses: Grace and Diana. Big engagement rings were clearly not the cause of their demise, but still, this is not a plot point I want to insert in my love story after seeing how those turned out.
Moving onto the next-most-famous engagement ringer of the 20th century --
The rest of the big rings that come to mind are those I remember seeing extensively in the "news" announcing an impending marriage -- soon followed up by discussions of their impending breakup or divorce, and if they made it that far, a custody battle.
Any one of the engagement rings mentioned above could probably rebuild all of the houses wiped out by the recent tornadoes in America. Any one could also eradicate the lack of education for girls in
Now more is not always less. There are Catherine Zeta-Jones,
I understand that Kim "works," as her fees for showing up at parties or lending her name or likeness to things (including credit cards, I recall) are terrifyingly high. But the skill set Kardashian utilizes to garner her press, make her money and "catch a man" leaves me close to fainting, when it comes to the message we are sending young girls.
I'd prefer one of my daughters to own a diamond mine. In fact, I'd like them both to own one of the media companies that publishes "news" about the Kardashians. And I couldn't care less what kind of jewelry either is wearing while doing so.
- No Bees, if You Please
- The Luck of a 20.5-Carat Engagement Ring
- My Interview With 'Dr. Death'
- The Real Role Models of Orange County
- The Tools of My Trade
- It's Time to Play the Feud (Happy 95th Birthday, Aunt Pearl)
- Why I Love My Job
- Some Philosophical Thoughts on Religion
- Sometimes, You Just Can't Be Cool
- Guess Who's Running For President in 2012?
- In Defense of Dentists
- Because You Are a Blabbermouth!
- Apple Store Like a Land Far, Far Away
- Hand Me The Bread
- Say Hello to Fred and Anne
- A Memorial Day to Remember
- Some People Just Know How to Fly and Some Don't
- What a Week for the World
- Hot-Button Issue
- Give Yourself the Gift of Paper
- Living Out the Good News of the Census
- What Not to Wear
- GOP Reality Show Could Be a Win-Win
- Any Coupons Today?
- Food For Thought
- The Fine Art of Parking
- I'm Really a Newspaperman At Heart
- You Can Count on Me to Complain
- March Madness -- or Not
- Dearly E-Parted Deserve Better
- It Was the Best of Times ...
- My Trip to the Cafeteria
- #WINNING? I Think Not
- It's Becoming Too Expensive to Fly
- The Headlines Don't Grab Me
- The Bare Accessories
- The Case for Good Food and Bread
- The Year of the Shoe
- Life on the Road
- Food For Thought
- Losing the Battle of the Sexes
- There's No Business Like Snow Business, Folks!
- A Smashing Time That Was Good for Some
- Boy, Do We Like to Watch
- Lessons Learned
- Looking at America
- Please Don't Feed the Twins
- My Winter 'To Do' or 'Not To Do' Lists
- The (Second) American Revolution
- Parenting: Don't Think. It Can Only Hurt the Ball Club
- A Little Warm Weather Sounds Nice About Now
- It's Snowing Again!
- Regrets. People Should Have a Few
- What I'll Miss About Bachelorhood
- Get That Nut Away From My Child!
- A Christmas To Remember!
- I Hereby Resolve
- United We Don't Stand
- The Most Important Story of 2011
- My Best Christmas Presents
- Transportation Wonders of the World
- For the Love of the English Language
- It's Time to Win One for the Zipper
- Does Whatever a Lousy Title Can
- I Prefer My Preferences
- What Do You Do With a Gift Shop Gift
- The Old Dog Whisperer
- Giving up the Parental Gear This Holiday Season
- Some Thoughts On Money
- Life and Religion
- The Sporting Life
- The Action Pile
- I am Now an Ordained Minister
- Why I Hate Myself for Going to Starbucks
- Kicking the Bucket List
- The Great Driving Machine
- There's Power in the Wind
- Familiar Names of People and Places
- A Master Mess Maker
- The War of the Sandwiches
- In Praise of the Common Cold
- Nobody Wants a Bummer Ending
- There Are So Many Problems in the World
- A Pile of Magazines
- Thank You For Purchasing Your Ticket(s)
- The Anti-Social Network
- Andy Rooney: What's News to You is News to Me
- Andy Rooney: Familiar Names of People and Places
- Readers Must Wash Hands Before Turning the Page
- It Pays to Advertise
- Where Have all the Good Girls Gone?
- So Many Things, So Little Space
- Meaningful Numbers in My Life
- We're Going to Need a Bigger Press Conference
- Magic, or Love at First Sight
- I Have Been Known to Save Things
- I'm King of the Burger!
- Mad Men
- 8 Kids with 6 Moms? NFL Star Is Shameful
(c) 2011 Diane Farr. Distributed by Tribune Media Services