Why didn't he get medical care at home? Look at the state of his people's health, and you'll understand.
The government provides vaccinations for only 5 percent of the children. Fewer still receive antibiotics when they contract pneumonia. Only 20 percent of teenage girls are educated about AIDS. Is it any wonder that
Eleven years ago, 53 African nations signed a pledge to spend at least 15 percent of their national budgets on health care. Almost no nation has lived up to that. Right now,
In fact, across the developing world whenever a president or potentate gets sick, he travels to a more developed state for care. That boldly displays the heedless view these leaders have of their own people. Perhaps if they were required to use their own hospitals, they might be more inclined to improve them.
Many of these reprobates find they can't step on the plane as blithely as Zenawi did. To get away often requires stealth and deceit.
Not long ago, Asif Ali Zardari,
Last year, he decided to spend some time in
After he'd been away two weeks, the news media began writing about the political message Zardari was sending.
Zardari is hardly alone. Since
Dictators always seem to be traveling abroad for simple tests or checkups. Nursultan Nazarbayev,
This spring, a South African newspaper reported that government leaders from
- Testing the Limits of Globalization
- We're Too Tolerant of Corruption at Home
- No Need for a Witch Hunt Over Executive Pay
- Beyond Money
- 50-Year War Against Drugs Has Failed: A New Approach is Needed
- Drugs Legalization Could Make Things Worse
- Time to Separate Drugs Policy from Crime
- Organized Crime Won't Fade Away
- Is Treating The Symptoms The Way Forward?
- Heads of State Show Lack of Faith in Own Health-Care Systems
- On Drugs and Democracy
- Financial Markets, Politics and the New Reality
- BRICs Should Focus on their Own Problems
- The Persistent Threat to Soft Targets
- The Rich Grabbing Bigger Slices of Pie
- 21 Trillion Dollars Hidden in Tax Havens
- Geopolitics The World is Changing Minute by Minute
- Could We Have the Wars Without the Manipulation?
- Blowing Up History
- United Nations Human Rights Council is Irredeemable
- Triumph of Green Capital
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.