The Taliban boasted about the shooting, saying this young girl's education advocacy was a deviant symbol of "Western culture in the area." God forbid!
Now she's an icon. But if you don't follow this issue closely, you may be surprised to learn that Muslim extremists injure and kill innocent little girls all the time.
For years now in
Then, last week,
Millions of Egyptian women, young and old, are furious about the direction their new Islamic government is taking. A constitution-drafting committee just made public drafts including one on women's "rights." Article 36 says the state will ensure equality for women as long as it doesn't conflict with "the rulings of Islamic Sharia." That's like saying, you have full equality - inside your jail cell.
For Islamic extremists, abusing and killing children is hardly a new phenomenon. In
"Every day, you hear that somebody's thrown acid at a girls' face," she added, or "they poison" the school's water.
A newer trend is releasing some sort poison gas in girls' schools. In one case last summer, after 39 girls fell ill, Afghan police arrested two of the girls and charged them with poisoning themselves and the others. Go figure.
Every religion has its extremists. Ultra-orthodox Jews, Opus Dei Catholics, Buddhist and Hindu activists. Most of them try to live pious lives according to the codes of their faiths but seldom try to force their views on others. Some of them do fight wars -- Burmese against the nation's non-Buddhist minorities; Hindus against Pakistanis. But none of these other religions try to impose violent ancient customs by force on the rest of the world.
On a popular TV talk show in
Hadiths are codified practices or sayings of the Prophet Mohammed. No. 1:234 recalls his recommendation to a traveler who'd fallen ill that he should drink camel urine.
That's the best indication I've seen to explain why Islamic extremists behave the way they do. Every religion carries forward traditions from its founders. Jews and others try to live by the Ten Commandments Moses is said to have found 3,500 years ago. Christians embrace the sayings of Jesus, like: Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
But Islam is the only faith whose extremists try to impose a seventh-century lifestyle on the world -- including all the ignorant medical treatments, violent justice and extreme prejudice against women and people of other faiths.
All of that was perfectly normal in
Can't these extremists sit down, look around and see that their task is a ridiculous impossibility? And as long as they continue pursuing it, seriously besmirching the entire Islamic faith, they will remain the most reviled people on the planet.
- Nuclear Weapons Could Become Obsolete
- The Moral Equivalent of Nuremberg
- Rushdie: 'Vampires Shrivel in the Sunlight'
- Q&A with Joseph Stiglitz: 'The Price of Inequality'
- Children Often the Targets of Islamic Extremists
- Education Can Replace the Loss of Hope
- United Nations Picks Wrong Education Partners
- Testing the Limits of Globalization
- We're Too Tolerant of Corruption at Home
- No Need for a Witch Hunt Over Executive Pay
- Beyond Money
- 50-Year War Against Drugs Has Failed: A New Approach is Needed
- Drugs Legalization Could Make Things Worse
- Time to Separate Drugs Policy from Crime
- Organized Crime Won't Fade Away
- Is Treating The Symptoms The Way Forward?
- Heads of State Show Lack of Faith in Own Health-Care Systems
- On Drugs and Democracy
- Financial Markets, Politics and the New Reality
- BRICs Should Focus on their Own Problems
- The Persistent Threat to Soft Targets
- The Rich Grabbing Bigger Slices of Pie
- 21 Trillion Dollars Hidden in Tax Havens
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.