by Victor Davis Hanson
In one of the most bizarre op-eds published by the New York Times in
He argued that the Chinese might be so thankful to us for letting them get their hands on the island that they might forgive much of what we owe them.
So why does
Surely the smart money -- and most of the world -- bets on its richer enemies. The Arab Middle East has oil, hundreds of millions of people and lots of dangerous radical Islamic terrorists.
But President Obama should remember that America does not think solely in terms of national advantage.
In fact, only
Its northern European creditors are furious with its profligacy and duplicity. Nearby, an ascendant
All of these people -- Israelis, anti-communist Chinese, Kurds, Greeks and Armenians -- have a few things in common.
They have relatively small -- and often shrinking -- populations, aggressive neighbors, few strong allies, many expatriates and refugees in
We should remember that
Of course, these historically persecuted peoples can at times be testy allies and even sound anti-American.
Their national characters -- reflecting centuries of oppression -- understandably can seem prone to collective paranoia
and conspiracy theories. Yet
In the next few years, as never before, our small friends will be tested.
Yet if protecting these small states is risky, our concern also reflects positively upon the singular values of
Only America is moral and strong enough to protect the world's historically vulnerable but culturally unique peoples.
It would be a shame if we forgot that -- either out of desire for profit or because we became fed up with the bother.
- The Broken Contract: Inequality and American Decline
- The Wisdom of Retrenchment: America Must Cut Back to Move Forward
- United States: The News of Empire
- Why Does America Defend the Weak and Small?
- United States Hesitant to 'Reckon With Evil' in Syria
- United States and Europe Threaten Their Own Energy Independence
- With Fracking America Can Escape the Energy Trap
- Is the National Security Complex Too Big to Fail?
- Ex-Border Security Chief Calls Fence a Dumb Idea
- United States: Iraq Syndrome
- Child Poverty and Access to Education: Hidden Costs on the Hispanic Community
- Alabama Law Against Illegal Immigration Suffers Setback
- The True Costs of Humanitarian Intervention
- Humanitarian Intervention Comes of Age
- American Imperialism? Please
- United States Law Enforcement Chiefs to Israel
- Death of Layton Poses Challenge for NDP Interim Leader
"Why Does America Defend the Weak and Small?"