Those of us who believe
The phrase "tilting at windmills" was inspired by Cervantes' novel "
Well, let's review some recent evidence.
The U.N. has been working hand-in-glove with the Chinese government to make the Chinese one-child policy as efficient and ruthless as possible. "Our conclusion is that the (
Of course, not everyone dislikes the one-child policy. Vice President Biden has supported it, and President Obama restored UNFPA's funding when he took office. So let's move on.
Lots of people like the Internet, right? Well, good news! The U.N. wants to take it over.
You see, that's what dictatorships do at the U.N.: work to make the world safe for dictatorships. The most brutal regimes on the planet are constantly trying to get on or game the
Not everything the U.N. does is evil. Some of it is just incompetent. The whole of what passes for the "international community" has been trying to enforce sanctions on
A few days later, the invaluable human rights group UN Watch reported that
Now these are all just recent news items. But you can play this game any time you want because the U.N. always provides fresh hells for us to marvel and laugh at.
Alas, the U.N. website notes, "
But that's the great thing about the U.N.: It never fails to surprise us with its predictability.
I'm beginning to think the U.N.'s defenders are the Don Quixotes, only in reverse. Where the critics see the reality of the ravenous giant, the U.N.'s defenders can only see a harmless windmill converting hot air for the good of all mankind.
- Don't Expand NAFTA
- Cutting Pentagon Fat
- The Geopolitics of Compassion
- War and Climate Change
- Tilting at the United Nations Windmill
- America the Greatest?
- Obama's New Global Posture
- Our Press Freedom is Under Fire
- The Cuban Missile Crisis at 50
- Shifting United States Foreign Policy Reflective of New World View
- The Grim Reaper
- Send in the Drones
- How We Fail to Understand the Transnational Narcotics Industry
- Decline or Decadence?
- Scoring Obama's Foreign Policy
- Immigration is a Human Rights Issue
- The United States Army in a Time of Transition
- The War on Terror is Over?
- Why Bounties on Terrorists Often Fail
- Why Europe's Double Dip Could Lead to One in United States
- Millions of 1940 Census Records Now Online
- An America in Decline
- Bruce Springsteen Captures The State of America
- Wars and Potential Wars Abound
- Our Health Care Racket
- A Farewell to Fossil Fuels
- United States Can't Control the World Oil Market
- The State of the World: Explaining U.S. Strategy
- Clear and Present Safety
- The Case for Space
- Drawdowns in Iraq And Afghanistan Recognition of Futility or Retreat from Coming Storm?
- Twitter Mentality a Threat to America
- Pro-Drug Legalization Forces Gaining Clout
- Is the US 'Pivot' to the Pacific genuine?
- America's Constitutional Paralysis
- Those Bad Old Days Are Still with Us
- Fracking Perils
- American Decline Could Worsen with Focus on Iran and China
- Trans-Atlantic Military Cooperation Gets Complicated
- Don't Expect Too Much of the Next American President
- The Dignity of Corpses
- Momentum of Cynicism
- The United States Has Seen Much Worse
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services