You should probably sit down before you read this.
But under the U.N. system, regions provide fixed slates of candidates "behind closed doors,"
If you want to know what that means, consider Syrian representative
Unfortunately, bad actors often find their way onto the
That's the problem with using the U.N. to address human-rights problems. Every single state in the world, even the most reprehensible, is an equal member.
But every nation that ignores those ideals still has an equal vote in the
Peace. Sounds nice, doesn't it? And a good part of the document does offer laudable, flowery language that few would dispute -- except for the very governments that endorsed it, including
Well, the authors apparently hope this pointless blather will beguile you so you won't notice on page six that they also want the U.N. to endorse the idea that "all peoples and individuals have the right to resist and oppose oppressive colonial, foreign occupation." Neuer of UN Watch took that to mean that the authors want the U.N. to legitimize "the terminology used by
Well, with a vote of 34 to 1, the odds are pretty good that, eventually, this proposal will be enacted -- proving that the
Obviously that hasn't worked. The council is irredeemable. It's time the U.S. dropped out and gave the council the attention it deserves: none at all.
- 21 Trillion Dollars Hidden in Tax Havens
- The World is Changing Minute by Minute
- Could We Have the Wars Without the Manipulation?
- Blowing Up History
- United Nations Human Rights Council is Irredeemable
- Triumph of Green Capital
- The United Nations Security Council in a Changing World
- Protest Movements as Political Strategy
- Every Nation For Itself
- For Love or Money
- The Rise of the Spy-Next-Door
- How the Trans-Pacific Partnership Will Change Canada
- Finance Can Lead The Way to a Sustainable Economy
- Why Stage Summits in a Leaderless World?
- The Elephant in Rio
- United Nations Rio+20 Summit Misses the Point
- Cleaning Up Coal: From Climate Culprit to Solution
- Environmental Alarmism, Then and Now
- God, Money and Planet Earth
- Global Economy: The Have-Littles and the Have-Nots
- Democracy NGOs Under Attack Around the World
- Rio+20 Must Address the Scramble for Resources
- Labor Trafficking: Modern-Day Slave Trade
- Austerity Strategy is Fatally Flawed
- 50% of the 99%
- No Country for Rich Men
- Stateless and Fancy-Free
- Waiting for Copernicus
- NATO's Ordinary Future
- Bin Laden Put Out to Pasture
- Mafia States: Organized Crime Takes Office
- The True Lessons of the Great Recession
- Baby Gap: How to Boost Birthrates and Avoid Demographic Decline
- The War on Terror is Over?
- Letters Show Osama bin Laden's Frustration With Groups
- The Climate Threat We Can Beat
- Tough Love for Renewable Energy
- Developing Symptoms: Noncommunicable Diseases Go Global
- We Are All West Now
- The Second Oil Revolution
- In Rigged Elections 65% is the New 99%
- Volatile Times, Uncertain Futures
- Environment: Throw Nothing Away. It's Time to Upcycle
- Is There an Internet Off Switch?
- Power of the iMob
- Responsibility to Protect or Reform?
- History Never Quite Ends
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services