Victor Davis Hanson
We are witnessing a seismic shift in global affairs. The shake-up is a perfect storm of political, demographic and technological change that will soon make the world as we have known it for the last 30 years almost unrecognizable.
Since the mid-1980s there have been a number of accepted global constants.
The Arab Middle East for the last 40 years seemed to be the world's cockpit, as its huge petroleum reserves brought in trillions of dollars from an oil-depleted West, along with political concessions. Petrodollars fed global terrorism. Oil-poor
Conventional wisdom also assumed that an indebted U.S. was in permanent decline, a cash-rich
But none of that conventional wisdom now seems very wise -- largely because of a number of technological breakthroughs and equally unforeseen political upheavals.
The eurozone is unraveling. An aging, shrinking population and a socialist welfare state lead to serfdom, not utopia. War guilt and EU membership will no longer ensure German subsidies, but rather serve to alienate the German public. Europe's cloudy future hinges not on
The Arab Middle East is now in a free fall. Tyrants in
Horizontal drilling and fracking have made oil shale and tar sands rich sources of oil and natural gas, so much so that
Even more surreal, tiny oil-poor
Who would have thought that a few fracking innovators in
- 21 Trillion Dollars Hidden in Tax Havens
- The World is Changing Minute by Minute
- Could We Have the Wars Without the Manipulation?
- Blowing Up History
- United Nations Human Rights Council is Irredeemable
- Triumph of Green Capital
- The United Nations Security Council in a Changing World
- Protest Movements as Political Strategy
- Every Nation For Itself
- For Love or Money
- The Rise of the Spy-Next-Door
- How the Trans-Pacific Partnership Will Change Canada
- Finance Can Lead The Way to a Sustainable Economy
- Why Stage Summits in a Leaderless World?
- The Elephant in Rio
- United Nations Rio+20 Summit Misses the Point
- Cleaning Up Coal: From Climate Culprit to Solution
- Environmental Alarmism, Then and Now
- God, Money and Planet Earth
- Global Economy: The Have-Littles and the Have-Nots
- Democracy NGOs Under Attack Around the World
- Rio+20 Must Address the Scramble for Resources
- Labor Trafficking: Modern-Day Slave Trade
- Austerity Strategy is Fatally Flawed
- 50% of the 99%
- No Country for Rich Men
- Stateless and Fancy-Free
- Waiting for Copernicus
- NATO's Ordinary Future
- Bin Laden Put Out to Pasture
- Mafia States: Organized Crime Takes Office
- The True Lessons of the Great Recession
- Baby Gap: How to Boost Birthrates and Avoid Demographic Decline
- The War on Terror is Over?
- Letters Show Osama bin Laden's Frustration With Groups
- The Climate Threat We Can Beat
- Tough Love for Renewable Energy
- Developing Symptoms: Noncommunicable Diseases Go Global
- We Are All West Now
- The Second Oil Revolution
- In Rigged Elections 65% is the New 99%
- Volatile Times, Uncertain Futures
- Environment: Throw Nothing Away. It's Time to Upcycle
- Is There an Internet Off Switch?
- Power of the iMob
- Responsibility to Protect or Reform?
- History Never Quite Ends
Copyright © 2012 Tribune Media Services