It's a nice one, too -- roomy enough for an AR-15 and maybe a half-dozen 30-round clips. Stitched on the side is a bold-looking NRA patch.
The bag is mine if I pay
Like most gun owners in this country, I'm not an NRA member. It's possible that
LaPierre is the NRA's perpetually apoplectic "executive vice president." You see him on TV preaching against gun control, practically levitating with paranoia. He signed the letter that arrived with the nifty duffel-bag offer.
One thing about Wayne, he likes to underline. He's also fond of bold-face type, and of capitalizing important words. This rises to a fever pitch when he's writing about "anti-gun members of
And they will not stop until they BAN hundreds of commonly owned firearms, PROHIBIT private transfers of firearms, CLOSE gun shops and shows, and DESTROY your freedom to defend yourself, your home and your loved ones.
Here's another beauty:
Remember, gun ban politicians and their media allies are on the attack. And the future of your freedom is at stake.
LaPierre might seem like an under-medicated whack job, but he's just acting. His job is to frighten people, and to sell more guns.
Major firearms manufacturers such as
This isn't mentioned in Wayne's letter. He calls the NRA a "grassroots membership organization," when in reality it's a cold-hearted lobby for the gun industry.
And the industry definitely gets its money's worth. The push in
The NRA scares politicians far more than it scares the average citizen. The senators who are now wimping out on broader background checks for gun buyers aren't afraid for our Second Amendment rights; they're afraid the NRA will bankroll their opponents in the next election.
Republicans cower most reliably, but spineless Democrats are in no short supply. A push to federally limit the capacity of ammo magazines to a mere 10 bullets is foundering strictly because the NRA opposes it.
Hunters and sport shooters don't need 30 rounds to hit what they're aiming at, but mass murderers, gang bangers and cop killers love those big macho clips.
Buying bullets online is another convenience that the NRA is fighting to preserve. It's how a disturbed
The NRA wasn't always quite so loony. It once supported comprehensive background checks on gun purchases, and even took a position against guns being carried in public schools.
Now the group has swung 180 degrees, in sneering opposition to public sentiment. Polls show 90 percent of American favor background checks on all firearms sales, including those at local gun shows, which are currently unregulated.
LaPierre insists that background checks will lead to a "national gun registry," which will then lead to mass confiscation of firearms by the government.
Oh, sure. The same government that can't afford to deliver mail on Saturdays is poised to send armed agents to every single house in the country to search for weapons.
The notion is ridiculous, and Wayne's well aware of it. The NRA isn't aiming for the mainstream support. The fringe is what they're after -- the spooked-out guys who were lining up to buy assault rifles after the mass shooting in
By the way, those 20 murdered children and six murdered adults aren't mentioned anywhere in LaPierre's rousing membership letter. I double-checked all the underlined sentences and boldfaced paragraphs.
Not a single word, capitalized or otherwise, about how some crackpot with a Bushmaster fired 154 rounds in less than five minutes, turning a schoolhouse into a slaughterhouse.
His name was
The organization says they were not card-carrying members. Lanza shot his mom before he drove to
His duffel bag didn't have an NRA logo, but maybe next time.
There's always a next time.
- Joseph Nye: America's Challenge to Wield Smart Power
- America: The Naked Empire
- How will America Hold Together?
- Inhospitable Earth -- Compared to What?
- Paula Deen's Menu: Foot in Mouth
- Decrypting Snowden's Russian layover
- On Ending Perpetual War
- A Victim's Grandmother Takes on Gun Violence
- Time to End Imposed Ignorance of Guns and Harm Guns Do
- Selling Guns to Kids, Legally: Only in America!
- Disenchanting View of the Church Responding to Sexual Abuse Crisis
- Ryan Fogle Fiasco Underscores America's Intelligence Problem
- A Broken System Perpetuates Itself
- Extremism has No Race
- GOP Turns Against Its Own History
- Know-Nothing Security
- Guantanamo Bay: Indefinite Enemies
- The Hollowing Out of Government
- Once Again, Florida is the Poster Child for Scandal
- Why Mark Carson Matters
- The New Xenophobes
- Boston Marathon Survivor Has Long Road Ahead
- Five Major Hindrances to Counterterrorism Efforts
- Fight Gangs, Not Each Other
- Time to Update Census' Race Questions
- Rape and Winning
- The Dilution of Journalism
- Guns: Ignoring the Real While Fighting the Imaginary
- Inside the Superstar Economy of America's Big Thinkers
- Banking on the Poor
- Postmodern Prudes
- Immigration: Of Athens and Jerusalem
- A Little Humility May Be in Order
- Ending Violence in a Decade
- Chasing Infinity
- Why the Boston Bombers Succeeded
- What Next After Boston?
- Boston Marathon Bombings: Grief Without Borders
- Boston Marathon Bombings: Horror Without Terror, Just Anger
- Boston Marathon Bombing Parallels Toulouse Attacks
- Even in Tragedy, A Nation Divided
- Deportation: The D-word
- Boston Marathon Bombings: When Profiling Becomes a Real Menace
- Grassroots Militants from Chechnya
- Boston Marathon Bombings: 'Oh, My God'
- Pollution in the News Stream
- Drones: Anonymous Murder from a Safe Distance
- AP Should Not Stop with 'Illegal Immigrants'
- NRA's Task is to Frighten, Sell More Guns
- School is a Battlefield, and NRA Determined to Keep it that Way
- Gun Laws and Human Nature
- Visions: America after Hegemony
- The Honorable Absurdity of a Soldier's Role
- America's Big Fat Advantage
- Immigration Reform and Entitlement Reform Go Together
- Baby Gets Cruel Lesson in Life Early
- Iraq: Bush's War, 10 Years Later
- Iraq a Convenient Scapegoat
- Americans Fear Iran, But There is Much to Learn From Cuba
- From Affirmative Action to Diversity
- Detroit's Decline
- Signs that the NRA is Losing
- War's Lingering Phantoms
- An Incubator For Peace
- Lasting Peace
- Controlling Lucifer
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc.