In 1983 when
Today, the Democratic governors of
Downplayed in this national debate and in efforts by the Obama administration to get
Life has become cheap and things are now expensive, but I remember when the reverse was true. Today, we seem to value stuff more than human life, which is why public storage units are full. Many began losing their moral compass years ago when "anything goes" began to replace a respect for the law and other people.
The new "tougher" gun laws in
In 1995, Sen.
What will happen in
Guns can never be completely outlawed, and human nature can't be changed by politicians. More laws aren't the answer. Perhaps, as the old saying goes, "The best defense is a good offense."
- Joseph Nye: America's Challenge to Wield Smart Power
- America: The Naked Empire
- How will America Hold Together?
- Inhospitable Earth -- Compared to What?
- Paula Deen's Menu: Foot in Mouth
- Decrypting Snowden's Russian layover
- On Ending Perpetual War
- A Victim's Grandmother Takes on Gun Violence
- Time to End Imposed Ignorance of Guns and Harm Guns Do
- Selling Guns to Kids, Legally: Only in America!
- Disenchanting View of the Church Responding to Sexual Abuse Crisis
- Ryan Fogle Fiasco Underscores America's Intelligence Problem
- A Broken System Perpetuates Itself
- Extremism has No Race
- GOP Turns Against Its Own History
- Know-Nothing Security
- Guantanamo Bay: Indefinite Enemies
- The Hollowing Out of Government
- Once Again, Florida is the Poster Child for Scandal
- Why Mark Carson Matters
- The New Xenophobes
- Boston Marathon Survivor Has Long Road Ahead
- Five Major Hindrances to Counterterrorism Efforts
- Fight Gangs, Not Each Other
- Time to Update Census' Race Questions
- Rape and Winning
- The Dilution of Journalism
- Guns: Ignoring the Real While Fighting the Imaginary
- Inside the Superstar Economy of America's Big Thinkers
- Banking on the Poor
- Postmodern Prudes
- Immigration: Of Athens and Jerusalem
- A Little Humility May Be in Order
- Ending Violence in a Decade
- Chasing Infinity
- Why the Boston Bombers Succeeded
- What Next After Boston?
- Boston Marathon Bombings: Grief Without Borders
- Boston Marathon Bombings: Horror Without Terror, Just Anger
- Boston Marathon Bombing Parallels Toulouse Attacks
- Even in Tragedy, A Nation Divided
- Deportation: The D-word
- Boston Marathon Bombings: When Profiling Becomes a Real Menace
- Grassroots Militants from Chechnya
- Boston Marathon Bombings: 'Oh, My God'
- Pollution in the News Stream
- Drones: Anonymous Murder from a Safe Distance
- AP Should Not Stop with 'Illegal Immigrants'
- NRA's Task is to Frighten, Sell More Guns
- School is a Battlefield, and NRA Determined to Keep it that Way
- Gun Laws and Human Nature
- Visions: America after Hegemony
- The Honorable Absurdity of a Soldier's Role
- America's Big Fat Advantage
- Immigration Reform and Entitlement Reform Go Together
- Baby Gets Cruel Lesson in Life Early
- Iraq: Bush's War, 10 Years Later
- Iraq a Convenient Scapegoat
- Americans Fear Iran, But There is Much to Learn From Cuba
- From Affirmative Action to Diversity
- Detroit's Decline
- Signs that the NRA is Losing
- War's Lingering Phantoms
- An Incubator For Peace
- Lasting Peace
- Controlling Lucifer
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc.