Ordinarily, I'd thank you for writing.
But truth is, I am not grateful you wrote; your note is one of the more troubling things I have read. I do not blame you for leaving it unsigned.
"We stand together," I had written. "We stand defiant. And we stand with
"Your wrong pal we do not STAND TOGETHER.OH MY GOD we need a CIVIL WAR.The American people against the LIBERAL DEMACRAT SCUM that we have let allow SCUMBAGS like those that would BLOW UP people in BROAD DAYLIGHT to be here ... WE NEED A CIVIL WAR.Those demacrats that happen to still be breathing after that CIVIL WAR will have a choice. BECOME NORMAL or you are LEAVING with the 11 million illegals that ARE GOING HOME ... THIS IS SO CLOSE TO HAPPENING THAT EVERY LIBERAL IN THIS COUNTRY SHOULD START LOSING SLEEP ... THERE IS A CLEAR REASON WHY WE ARE ARMED TO THE TEETH ..."
And you know, there was a time, not so long ago, I'd have laughed off your semi-coherent, misspellings-riddled rant. But I don't laugh so much anymore, because you concretize a question I have been struggling with: Is America sustainable? Can a nation pulling so energetically in opposite directions survive?
We call it hyper-partisanship, polarization, balkanization. But those are SAT words, polysyllabic expressions that make abstract what they describe. So let us face what you embody and call it by name. It is hatred. And it is contempt.
It's not just you. It's
Before that, it was that man in
Yes, I know.
Now, to them, we add you, my nameless countryman, advocating for war. War.
And I am struck by the fact that I am not struck by the fact. Even this is just business as usual now.
A nation is more than common geography. It is also common values, a common way of looking at the world -- not that everyone agrees on everything always, but that we are at least tethered by similar understanding of who we are and what that means.
It is that test this country fails now with regularity. We can't even agree on who we are anymore, so swamped are we by the rage red holds for blue.
The road to Civil War began 153 years ago as Southern states, led by
So if the likes of you and Mr. Bell are right, if it is really beyond us now even to stand shoulder to shoulder with stricken fellow citizens, then we have lost more than bombs could ever destroy. And secession has already occurred.
- Joseph Nye: America's Challenge to Wield Smart Power
- America: The Naked Empire
- How will America Hold Together?
- Inhospitable Earth -- Compared to What?
- Paula Deen's Menu: Foot in Mouth
- Decrypting Snowden's Russian layover
- On Ending Perpetual War
- A Victim's Grandmother Takes on Gun Violence
- Time to End Imposed Ignorance of Guns and Harm Guns Do
- Selling Guns to Kids, Legally: Only in America!
- Disenchanting View of the Church Responding to Sexual Abuse Crisis
- Ryan Fogle Fiasco Underscores America's Intelligence Problem
- A Broken System Perpetuates Itself
- Extremism has No Race
- GOP Turns Against Its Own History
- Know-Nothing Security
- Guantanamo Bay: Indefinite Enemies
- The Hollowing Out of Government
- Once Again, Florida is the Poster Child for Scandal
- Why Mark Carson Matters
- The New Xenophobes
- Boston Marathon Survivor Has Long Road Ahead
- Five Major Hindrances to Counterterrorism Efforts
- Fight Gangs, Not Each Other
- Time to Update Census' Race Questions
- Rape and Winning
- The Dilution of Journalism
- Guns: Ignoring the Real While Fighting the Imaginary
- Inside the Superstar Economy of America's Big Thinkers
- Banking on the Poor
- Postmodern Prudes
- Immigration: Of Athens and Jerusalem
- A Little Humility May Be in Order
- Ending Violence in a Decade
- Chasing Infinity
- Why the Boston Bombers Succeeded
- What Next After Boston?
- Boston Marathon Bombings: Grief Without Borders
- Boston Marathon Bombings: Horror Without Terror, Just Anger
- Boston Marathon Bombing Parallels Toulouse Attacks
- Even in Tragedy, A Nation Divided
- Deportation: The D-word
- Boston Marathon Bombings: When Profiling Becomes a Real Menace
- Grassroots Militants from Chechnya
- Boston Marathon Bombings: 'Oh, My God'
- Pollution in the News Stream
- Drones: Anonymous Murder from a Safe Distance
- AP Should Not Stop with 'Illegal Immigrants'
- NRA's Task is to Frighten, Sell More Guns
- School is a Battlefield, and NRA Determined to Keep it that Way
- Gun Laws and Human Nature
- Visions: America after Hegemony
- The Honorable Absurdity of a Soldier's Role
- America's Big Fat Advantage
- Immigration Reform and Entitlement Reform Go Together
- Baby Gets Cruel Lesson in Life Early
- Iraq: Bush's War, 10 Years Later
- Iraq a Convenient Scapegoat
- Americans Fear Iran, But There is Much to Learn From Cuba
- From Affirmative Action to Diversity
- Detroit's Decline
- Signs that the NRA is Losing
- War's Lingering Phantoms
- An Incubator For Peace
- Lasting Peace
- Controlling Lucifer
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc.