A Gallup poll issued this month says that 99 percent of the American public now has become convinced that
Whatever the expectation, this fear of
Never mind that this is a totally irrational fear. According to the combined conclusions of American intelligence agencies, plus the consensus of international intelligence assessments,
Take the quasi-war that has gone on against
The great half-century struggle between
What was it all about, and what has it accomplished?
In 1952 a young lawyer,
In 1955, Batista released political prisoners. The Jesuits who had educated the Castro brothers prevailed on Batista to include them in the release.
The two brothers sought military counsel from a veteran of the Spanish Civil War, and in 1956, with friends, launched what would become a successful armed rebellion. After
To summarize what turned an apparently blossoming friendship with
The Cuban missile crisis that followed in
All this provided a devastating example of the power of propaganda, ideology, intellectual intoxication, greed and political fantasy to bring nations to ruin.
We have paid, and the Cubans paid ever since much more heavily than Americans -- to no purpose. Now, Americans seem ready to make the Iranians pay for the price of our obsessions. We will pay, too, as we always have before. Will there be anyone someday to apologize?
- Banking on the Poor
- Postmodern Prudes
- Immigration: Of Athens and Jerusalem
- A Little Humility May Be in Order
- Ending Violence in a Decade
- Chasing Infinity
- Why the Boston Bombers Succeeded
- What Next After Boston?
- Boston Marathon Bombings: Grief Without Borders
- Boston Marathon Bombings: Horror Without Terror, Just Anger
- Boston Marathon Bombing Parallels Toulouse Attacks
- Even in Tragedy, A Nation Divided
- Deportation: The D-word
- Boston Marathon Bombings: When Profiling Becomes a Real Menace
- Grassroots Militants from Chechnya
- Boston Marathon Bombings: 'Oh, My God'
- Pollution in the News Stream
- Drones: Anonymous Murder from a Safe Distance
- AP Should Not Stop with 'Illegal Immigrants'
- NRA's Task is to Frighten, Sell More Guns
- School is a Battlefield, and NRA Determined to Keep it that Way
- Gun Laws and Human Nature
- Visions: America after Hegemony
- The Honorable Absurdity of a Soldier's Role
- America's Big Fat Advantage
- Immigration Reform and Entitlement Reform Go Together
- Baby Gets Cruel Lesson in Life Early
- Iraq: Bush's War, 10 Years Later
- Iraq a Convenient Scapegoat
- Abu Ghraib Revisited
- He Says His Battle Almost Over
- Iraq: Soul Poison
- Americans Fear Iran, But There is Much to Learn From Cuba
- Onion 'Edgy': Tasteless and Sickening
- From Affirmative Action to Diversity
- A Ruling on Racial Progress
- High Court Ponders: Is Racism Over?
- Death and Life in Maryland
- Detroit's Decline
- Signs that the NRA is Losing
- Who would follow our example on Keystone Pipeline?
- Pentagon Keyboard Jockeys Can Now Out-Decorate Combat Heroes
- The Minimum Wage and The Meaning of a Decent Society
- United States and Israel Push The Boundaries of International Law
- War's Lingering Phantoms
- An Incubator For Peace
- Lasting Peace
- Controlling Lucifer
- United States Hiding Behind Tortured Definitions
- Covert Sexism in Espionage
- Gun Nuts' Fantasies vs Real World Tragedies
- United States to Join Global Race for Talent -- Big Time
- CIA Nominee Defends United States Drone Policy
- U.S. Policy as Global Security Provider Built on Plymouth Rock
- I Am Because You Are
- On Flaky Professors and Nutty Ideas
- Continuing a Foreign Policy Pivot
(c) 2013 Tribune Media Services, Inc