Now that the beleaguered Mayans can go back to being a preternaturally advanced pre-Columbian civilization, rather than a doomsday sect, we can return to talking about the holidays. One of my favorite parts of the season is the annual "what-we've-been-up-to" letter that typically comes tucked inside a seasonal card. These detailed missives recount the past year for far-flung friends, almost always with self-deprecation, so that the year's high-points, successes and proud-parent boasts are balanced by moments that, had they been captured on video, would have meant YouTube stardom or jail.
Here's my take on that tradition, but rather than my own year, I give you the nation's 2012.
It was a busy year for America, and on balance, a good one. Let's see, lately we've been helping liberate
Work-wise, things are picking up from the doldrums of a couple years ago. The kids are still having a tough time finding good jobs, though even that is beginning to look better. At least they have us oldsters around to fall back on, now that we can keep them on our health insurance. Our own Chief Justice
The biggest news was the election, of course. In a nutshell, it consisted of a gazillionaire mob (pun intended) giving stacks of money to that distasteful Karl "Et tu,
Maybe they could consider being more open-minded as part of a
Still, for us,
No year is ever free of its humiliations, and 2012 certainly had its share. There was that little matter of
Despite the challenges, America had a pretty good year, and we're looking forward to an even better 2013.
- United States Heads Toward Gun Control Debate
- Freedom to Live in Fear
- Plotting an Uncivil War
- The Social Context of Mass Murder
- Video Games Not to Blame for Mass Shootings
- Hollywood Film Brings Torture Back Into The Light
- The Other Cliffs
- A Holiday Letter from America
- Take Care of the Children
- Newtown: The American Paradox
- The NRA vs Common Sense
- NRA 'Solutions' are Straight Out of a Stallone Movie
- Put Prospective Gun Owners Under the Microscope
- Too Many People Who Should Not Have Guns Do
- Newtown Shines Spotlight on Mental Health
- After Newtown: Will We Finally Act?
- Sandy Hook: Explaining Evil
- Fine Words, Delayed Action
- On Newtown, Mourn First, then Act
- School Shooting a Watershed Moment
- News and Social Media Amok
- In Colorado, Empty Gun Dorm Sends a Message
- Who Moved My Twinkie?
- The 'Land of Opportunity' is Becoming Hollywood Fiction
- Our Endless State of War
- Name that Foreign Policy Legacy
- A Date with History: The Cuban Missile Crisis
- False Tweets, Future Jailbirds?
- Hurricane Sandy's Wakeup Call
- Principled Pragmatism Beats Bush-style Bluster
- Empire and Its Consequences
- Netanyahu Foolish to Take Sides in American Election
- Hurricane Sandy and the Living Planet
- Hurricane Sandy Aftermath: New Jersey's Even-Odd System
- Hurricane Sandy Aftermath: Mamaroneck Damage
- Hurricane Sandy Aftermath: Brooklyn Looters Beware
- New York Cancels Marathon for First Time Due to Sandy
- Canceled NYC Marathon Disappoints Runners
- Hurricane Sandy Retrospective
(c) 2012 Tribune Media Services, Inc.