Sounds of Insecurity
In a TV commercial about buying gold, former Watergate figure and current radio talk show host
After the events of last week, somehow gold doesn't seem to offer the kind of security we need.
First, there was the attempted terrorist bombing in
Next came something that did produce chaos in our markets: a 1,000-point swing in the Dow Jones Industrial Average. It was apparently triggered by a computer glitch, the exact cause of which remains a mystery.
The problem with the oil spill in the
Amidst all of this, a group of Christians came to
That seems pretty straightforward. Public prayer can be a snare. It can make people think there is strength in numbers, when their Scripture teaches the opposite. These gatherings give many a false sense of security and present a bad example to those who do not believe as they do.
Could it be that their security, in practice, is more from this world than in the next? They want to see results, though they are admonished to "live by faith, not by sight." (2 Corinthians 5:7). They are not alone. Religious, or not, people are looking for things they can cling to, hoping to gain meaning, purpose, hope and security. But as these events have shown, our faith and quest for security are misplaced if we are looking to government alone to save us from terrorists, volatile markets and oil spills.
There is no ultimate security in this world and no guarantee of protection from anything, including disease and death. That ultimate security comes from somewhere else. It isn't from public displays of prayer, investments, security cameras, or things you buy. Such things are the sounds of insecurity.
Available at Amazon.com:
Read the latest political news.
- Living with Risk is the Cost of Freedom
- Naysaying Anti-Terrorism Success
- Hullabaloo in Times Square
- Sounds of Insecurity
- Life in the Age of 'Much Worse Than We Thought It Would Be'
- Shared Goals for Pakistan's Militants
- Limiting American Citizenship Not the Answer
- Arizona Immigration Law Controversy Only in Early Innings
- Is Arizona Law Still Wrong if It Works?
- Questioning the Wisdom of American Restraint
- The Future of American Security Assistance
- Bigger Is Better: Case for Transatlantic Economic Union
- Marriage Hopes on a Tightrope
- Congress Had a Role in the Financial Crisis
- Blame Those Dogged Liberals
- BP Oil Spill Calamity: Having to Play Defense
- Drill, Baby, Drill? Make BP Pay
- Gulf Spill Can Kill Our Tourist Season
- Guns vs. Butter 2010
- Obama Edge on Financial Reform
- Resisting Wall Street Reform
- Time to Break up the Big Banks
- What Obama Can Learn From Bush
- Voter Anger Could Doom Democrats in Fall Elections
- Capitalism vs. Capitalists
- Prayer and State
- West Virginia Mining Disaster and Financial Crisis Have Same Root Cause
- Congressional Pig Book: Pigs at the Trough
- Fear Factor: Swine Flu, Nuclear Weapons, Reacting to Doom
Sounds of Insecurity | United States
(c) 2010 Garrison Keillor