Naysaying Anti-Terrorism Success
Some people in politics seem unable to accept good news. Take, for example, how House Minority Leader
It's certainly true that it was good fortune that the accused man stupidly left one of two vehicle identification numbers readable on the SUV he bought with cash, along with his house key for the clue-laden house he had abandoned in
But it took swift and effective police work by local and federal agencies after an alert street vendor in the
As frightening as such episodes are in a nation that still must function under the terrorist threat nearly nine years after the 9/11 attacks, they are themselves a recognition of the general American success in fighting it since then.
These simpler attempts strongly indicate that the ability of al-Qaida, has been significantly degraded by the military and counterintelligence efforts carried out through the Bush administration and continued under President Obama.
So far at least, terrorism against
In declaring himself a "wartime president,"
This policy -- of repeatedly declaring the nation to be at war while asking little sacrifice from the American public except for members of the military serving in
By 2006, however, the political magic of the "wartime presidency" began to wear off, contributing to the Republican loss of
All this is not to say that the fight against terrorism is no longer of concern to Americans at home. It clearly remains a cause for continuing worry, with remembrance of the crumbling twin towers of the
But as the "war on terror" has segued from the mass attack of 9/11 masterminded and carried out by al-Qaida to individually launched or perpetrated episodes, it now requires more of the police response seen in the
While such efforts obviously have the potential to do major damage to American life and property, so far at least they appear to have conditioned Americans to recognize them as part of living in the age of politics by terror and threat of terror.
Boehner's dismissal of the arrest of the suspected
Available at Amazon.com:
Read the latest political news.
- Living with Risk is the Cost of Freedom
- Naysaying Anti-Terrorism Success
- Hullabaloo in Times Square
- Sounds of Insecurity
- Life in the Age of 'Much Worse Than We Thought It Would Be'
- Shared Goals for Pakistan's Militants
- Limiting American Citizenship Not the Answer
- Arizona Immigration Law Controversy Only in Early Innings
- Is Arizona Law Still Wrong if It Works?
- Questioning the Wisdom of American Restraint
- The Future of American Security Assistance
- Bigger Is Better: Case for Transatlantic Economic Union
- Marriage Hopes on a Tightrope
- Congress Had a Role in the Financial Crisis
- Blame Those Dogged Liberals
- BP Oil Spill Calamity: Having to Play Defense
- Drill, Baby, Drill? Make BP Pay
- Gulf Spill Can Kill Our Tourist Season
- Guns vs. Butter 2010
- Obama Edge on Financial Reform
- Resisting Wall Street Reform
- Time to Break up the Big Banks
- What Obama Can Learn From Bush
- Voter Anger Could Doom Democrats in Fall Elections
- Capitalism vs. Capitalists
- Prayer and State
- West Virginia Mining Disaster and Financial Crisis Have Same Root Cause
- Congressional Pig Book: Pigs at the Trough
- Fear Factor: Swine Flu, Nuclear Weapons, Reacting to Doom
Naysaying Anti-Terrorism Success | United States
(c) 2010 Jules Witcover