The media world might have been shocked when a recent
"Our competitive advantage in the cable news field has persisted because of the fact that they didn't change their ways," says Hume, Fox's former managing editor and former host of the evening Special Report,now run by
It all started as an idea hatched by Fox honcho
But it was slow going. Baier says when he arrived in 1998, he'd have to explain to sources that, no, he didn't work for the "SimpsonsFox," a reference to the entertainment channel. He and Hume agree the transformation occurred around the 2000 election, when Fox parked correspondents in
Though Fox is slapped for being conservative, Hume says its goal is covering a side that's often ignored in the more liberal mainstream media. "I had long believed that, as somebody who worked in the mainstream media [
- 5 Years On: The Secret of Fox News's Success
- Top 11 TV Shows You Should Be Watching
- Public Perception of Media Bias Hits Historic High
- Modern Family Sweeps 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards
- Television For Women at a Crossroads
- Networks Are Not Upfront About Reality TV Shows
- Who Killed Networks' Creative Model?
- NBC: Back to Broadcast 101
- Television Grads May Miss the Way They Were
- Oprah Winfrey is a Blessing to Us All
- A Plea for Better Junk on TV
- Television Shows Depart to Little Fanfare
- Charlie Sheen Act Potentially Deadly Off Screen
- Kate Winslet Suffers Magnificently in HBO's 'Mildred Pierce'
- It's TV, Not Political Office, for Lou Dobbs
- Past Offers Paths For Remodeling 'Two and a Half Men'
- Charlie Sheen and the Wages of Fame
- NBC's Andrea Mitchell Is TV's Iron Woman
- 25 Years at the White House: 'I'm Peter Maer Of CBS'
- Charlie Sheen the Tabloid Gift That Keeps on Giving
- Debby Ryan: Parting is Such Suite Sorrow
- 'Two and a Half' Headaches: Sheen Camp Wants to Return Early
- Host Your Own Oscars Party
- Few Penalties For Stars Behaving Badly
- Boy, Do We Like to Watch
- Aretha, Gaga and Barbra: Grammy Night, 2011!
- MTV Goes For the Gutter With 'Skins'
- Shaking It up With Bella and Zendaya!
- CES 2011 Report - Consumer Electronics Show
- Time to Gear up for 3-D TV?
- 'Spidey' Producers Building a Brand
- Tolan: Let Critics Choose the Emmys
- Experts Key to Oprah Winfrey Formula
- Gift Ideas From the Stars
- Moonlighting Pays for Broadway Thespians
- Anderson Cooper Set for New Television Talk Show
- Reality Bug Bites TV Stars of the '80s
- Discovery Channel Aims Higher: Enlightened Reality TV
- If God is Willing and Da Creek Don't Rise
- Katrina Kicks Off Tragedy Calendar
- Mad Men
- 8 Kids with 6 Moms? NFL Star Is Shameful
- Inside Nigel Lythgoe's Plans for American Idol
- Will Emmy Finally Gleam for Ann-Margret?
- DeGeneres Leaving 'American Idol': Jennifer Lopez May Be Joining
- '5 Years On: The Secret of Fox News's Success' - Great Show Set in Not-So-Great Era
- CNN's Larry King to Sign Off: Host Announces His Departure
- C-SPAN Now Reaches 100 Million Homes
- TV Networks Should Rethink Summer Strategy
- Fat Times For Weight-Loss TV Shows
- Grading Network Television Fall Schedules
- 'Lost' Found 'Net Niche: Stoked TV-Centric Blogosphere Fires
- Betty White - What We Can Learn From the Golden Girl
- Why News Is Aimed At Your Emotions
- Police Work and Reality TV: Not a Good Fit
- Media Overreaches As 'Lost' and Other TV Series Finish Up
- Television - Can TV News Be Saved?
- Television - Network News Doing Less with Less
- Television - Chattin' It up With iCarly's Miranda Cosgrove
- Television - Recurring Reality's Faux Sheen
- America Through the Reality Lens
- Television - TV Vets Assess Sitcoms
- Decade of Rapid Change
- TV's Best for 2009: Can't Pick Just 10
- Behind the Scenes at the Food Network
Copyright © 2011 AHN. All rights reserved.