New York, NY
Smartphones and tablets are fast becoming popular for people who love to watch movies. According to Nielsen, smartphone and tablet users attended 9 percent and 20 percent more movies than people who didn't use their mobile devices to check movies on the go.
Nielsen conducted the study from August to September 2012. The consumer market research firm conducted the study via phone, online and interview. An estimated 3,000 Americans participated in the interview.
Nielsen defines a moviegoer as a person who has seen a movie in the theater in the past year. It adds that 23 percent moviegoers own both a smartphone and a tablet, 69 percent own a smartphone and 29 percent own a tablet.
According to The Next Web, "tablet-owning moviegoers watched almost 47 movies on average over the past year, 10 more movies than moviegoers in general, eight of which were seen in a theater. They also spent 35 percent more per month on entertainment than the US average."
This is the perfect time for developers to create apps for mobile and smartphone users to view movie information more efficiently online.
Nielsen added that smartphones and tablets keep moviegoers updated on the latest movie showings and trailers. They are more likely to purchase tickets online and post reviews even before the end of movies.
- Cloud Computing: Cost, Efficiency and Security
- The Internet Racket
- The Cell Phone Turns 40
- Tablets to Overtake Smartphones as Most Used Mobile Device for Browsing
- Smartphone and tablet users watch more movies on average
- Bill Gates Talks Tech and Philanthropy
- Yahoo Shuts Down Several Projects
- Pinterest Could Soon be Second Most Used Social Network
- Do You Take This Smartphone for Better or Worse?
- Microsoft experiences cyberattack; employee computers affected
- Android targeted by malware and cybercriminals
- Google's Project Glass to become more stylish
- HP Shifting from PC Manufacturing to Tablets
- Microsoft Windows Blue to have added search functionality
- Google Fears Samsung's Android OS dominance
- Apple iWatch Could Be Unveiled This Year
- Galaxy S4 Rumors Continue to Dominate Smartphone News
- Smartphones to Finally Outnumber Feature Phones this Year
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to go head-to-head against iPad Mini
- The Death of Depth
- Future Smart Devices Will Extend Our Senses
- Google Offers Virtual Hike Through the Grand Canyon
- Facebook Fasting
- Facebook 'Unfriending' Triggers Real-life Consequences
- Report Highlights Economic Threat of Hacking
- Twitter Hit by Cyber Attack
- Best New Tech For Moms At The Consumer Electronics Show
- CES 2013 Tech Gadgets
- Will Robots Steal Your Job?
- Top Tech at CES 2013
- Wearable Tech Takes CES 2013 by Storm
- Web Gadgets in United States Outnumber Americans
(c) 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved, "Smartphone and tablet users watch more movies on average"