New York, NY
Facebook may be the most popular social network by a mile with Twitter trailing. While Facebook won't be usurped any time soon from its top spot, the competition for second place is heating up.
According to a study conducted by the Pew Research Center, Pinterest is nipping at the heels of Twitter. The study reveals that about 67 percent of people in America are on Facebook, 16 percent are on Twitter and an estimated 15 percent use Pinterest.
For huge events like the Super Bowl, Twitter was the venue for users to express their happiness and vent their frustration. But even with that popularity, Facebook still reigns supreme.
Just last August 2012, an estimated 12 percent of users were on Pinterest -- indicating substantial growth according to the most recent study.
While still in third place, there has already been talk of Pinterest possibly becoming the most popular social network.
"According to statistics released by ComScore in February 2012, Pinterest has more than 10 million monthly unique visitors and is now the third most popular social networking site behind Facebook and Twitter.
"With these staggering numbers, it looks like Pinterest could be on track to become the next social media giant," Forbes reported.
Landing in fourth place was popular photo social network Instagram.
Pinterest, the online pinboard, has attracted 15% of internet users to its virtual scrapbooking. Whites, young people, the well-educated, those with higher income, and women are particularly likely to use the site. Pinterest is equally popular among those 18-29 and 30-49 (19%). Women are about five times as likely to be on the site as men, the largest difference in gender of any site featured in Pew's research report.
Pinterest Could Soon be Second Most Used Social Network
- The Cell Phone Turns 40
- Tablets to Overtake Smartphones as Most Used Mobile Device for Browsing
- Smartphone and tablet users watch more movies on average
- Bill Gates Talks Tech and Philanthropy
- Yahoo Shuts Down Several Projects
- Pinterest Could Soon be Second Most Used Social Network
- Do You Take This Smartphone for Better or Worse?
- Microsoft experiences cyberattack; employee computers affected
- Android targeted by malware and cybercriminals
- Google's Project Glass to become more stylish
- HP Shifting from PC Manufacturing to Tablets
- Microsoft Windows Blue to have added search functionality
- Google Fears Samsung's Android OS dominance
- Apple iWatch Could Be Unveiled This Year
- Galaxy S4 Rumors Continue to Dominate Smartphone News
- Smartphones to Finally Outnumber Feature Phones this Year
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to go head-to-head against iPad Mini
- The Death of Depth
- Future Smart Devices Will Extend Our Senses
- Google Offers Virtual Hike Through the Grand Canyon
- Facebook Fasting
- Facebook 'Unfriending' Triggers Real-life Consequences
- Report Highlights Economic Threat of Hacking
- Twitter Hit by Cyber Attack
- Best New Tech For Moms At The Consumer Electronics Show
- CES 2013 Tech Gadgets
- Will Robots Steal Your Job?
- Top Tech at CES 2013
- Wearable Tech Takes CES 2013 by Storm
- Web Gadgets in United States Outnumber Americans
(c) 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved, "Pinterest Could Soon be Second Most Used Social Network"