The Role of Google+ in Business
If anyone could go after the Facebook jugular -- and its three quarters of a billion users -- it's Google. The online search giant took aim at Facebook when it launched Google+, a social network that combines old services (Google Profiles, Google Buzz, etc.) with new. But is Google+ strictly for consumers, or can its applications benefit businesses too?
Google+: Best Features for Business
Amber MacArthur, a social media strategist and author of Power Friending: Demystifying Social Media to Grow Your Business, says Google+ isn't a Facebook clone, though at first glance they do appear similar. Once you get to know the social network, you'll likely see it as a hybrid: "It has the advantage of long-form posting like Facebook (but better) and the immediacy of a real-time stream like Twitter," says Doug Lacombe, president of the communicatto social media agency in Calgary.
Other unique Google+ features that can benefit your business include the following:
Forget the regular online photo albums you're used to; Google+ arranges your photos into a beautiful one-page layout. "The search engine giant has created a platform that has a better in-line photo viewing experience, as images are larger and the overall design of the page is cleaner," says Lacombe.
An easy way to share content with friends or colleagues, without being forced to share the same things with everyone. "Your work circle gets different content and conversation than your family circle, and so on," says Lacombe.
A feature that lets you video chat or watch videos together with others.
A feed of everything you're following.
An instant messaging feature for Android and iPhone users.
If you use Google products regularly, Google+ is a natural extension to your Internet experience, says MacArthur: "The network sits neatly within your Google account."
How can you use all these features to maximize your business? Get one person from your company to represent your business and manage the social network account. (Google+ is set to launch its business pages later this year.) "The same principles for building a community exist on Google+ that exist on Facebook -- it's important to be authentic, post regularly and engage with everyone," says MacArthur. "It's like going to the gym: If you don't stick to a regular schedule, you're not going to see the results you want."
Google+: Security Concerns
Facebook is no stranger to privacy concerns. Google too has come under fire over Gmail hacks and revealing too much info on Google Maps with Street View. So can Google+ be trusted?
"Yes and no," says Lacombe. "In the sense that Google successfully and securely runs millions of accounts on Gmail and Google Apps, I think G+ accounts are as secure as any other online service. The weakest link is usually careless users with weak passwords, or those who leave their devices open and accessible to thieves."
But Lacombe also reminds us that anything posted online can be copied, pasted and shared, so you need to manage information security by being judicious in your posting. "No service can protect you thoroughly," he concludes.
Google+: Its Future in Business
Like Facebook, Google+ will become an increasingly important social media destination for brands and small businesses, predicts MacArthur. "We've seen over the past couple of months how quickly this new social network has grown, so with millions of users, it's only natural that companies will want to build a presence on Google+ in order to reach customers and clients."
- Cyber Security as a Wicked Problem
- 5 Apps and Strategies for Mobile Security
- Mobile Hot Spot: How to Choose the Right One
- iCloud Seeks to Cement Loyalty of Apple Users
- Number of Wireless Gadgets Now Outnumbers American Population
- Apple iPhone 4S Sales Enjoy Strong Start
- Android Smartphones Beat Sales of Apple iPhones
- Twitter Good Barometer of National Emotional State
- The Role of Google+ in Business
- How to Manage Tech Support in Today's Chaotic Climate
- An Alternative Eulogy for Steve Jobs
- Top 11 Technologies on the Verge of Extinction
- The Top 5 Movie Phones
- Why You Need Double Protection Now: Hardware and Software
- The Long-term Commitment of Embedded Wireless
- Maxing out Multicore
- Google's New Airfare Search System
- The Latest Buying Gimmick: 'Google Wallet'
- Google Plus Now Open to All
- Facebook and Google Build DIY Servers
- Half of Global PC Users Use Illegal Software
- 4 Ways to Save on Gadgets
- Cell Phone Radiation: 5 Ways to Minimize It Now
- How to Choose the Right Tablet
- 5 Cool Apps for Your Labor Day Weekend
- 4G LTE: Not So Fast
- What Can the Cloud Do For You?
- Ubiquitous Computing: Is Ubicomp at a Tipping Point?
- Strike Back at SQL Injections
- The Mob That New Technology Has Made
- Social Networking Leads to Smoking, Drinking and Drug Use
- Cloud 101: Are You a PC, Mac or Cloud?
- Can You Get Fired for Your Blog Posts?
- Should You Switch to Google+ ?
- Navigate the Booming Computer Science Market
- China Outpaces United States in PC Market
- How Apple's iCloud Changes Business
- Use the Cloud to Go Mobile
- Apple iPad 2: A Smarter Business Tool
- Why You Can't Ignore iPhone / iPad Security
- Should You Let Your Teens Blog?
- Should You Talk Politics Online?
- How to Watch TV for Free -- or Close to It
- The Cost of Paying for Netflix
- Future for Slates, Tablets and iPads
- Social Media and Privacy (or Lack Thereof)
- Small Business Video: Life After the Flip
- Is It Safe to Post Photos Online?
- 9 Ways to Avoid Online Scams
- LinkedIn Offers New Options for Students
- 4 Strategies to Avert Virtual Arguments
- Cloud Computing 101: Protect Yourself Online
- How to Recover From a Social Media Mistake
- Why You Should Inventory Business Cloud Use
- Emerging Technology Has Positive Impact in Classroom
- 4 Apps to Manage Your Contacts
- Portable Tech Gadgets You Need This Summer
- Best Tablets for Your Business
- Security Tips for Your Smartphone or Tablet
- 5 New Cloud Tools You'll Love
- Can a Tablet Replace Your Laptop?
- Why Wireless Needs a Network of Networks
- 5 Steps to a Successful Enterprise Wireless Strategy
- 5 Keys for Moving Enterprise Security to the Cloud
- Tips for Building and Deploying Cloud-based Apps
- 5 Business Lessons You Can Learn From Mark Zuckerberg
- Russia: The No. 1 Base of Global Internet Attacks
- Researchers Say New Botnet TDL-4 Poses Big Threat
- The Internet Grows Up
- Ten Ways to Keep Your Online Information Secure
- How Facebook and Your Free Time Can Get You Fired
- The Only 10 Android Health Apps You Need
- Connected TV
- Near-Field Communication Technology the Next Big Thing
- The Future of 3-D Video
- Is Your Teen Sexting?
- Should You Ban Your Tweens From Facebook?
- Home Movies: Then and Now
- Is Social Media Malware Infecting Your Business?
- Is Your Tween (Illegally) on Facebook?
- Are Free Public Wi-Fi Networks Safe?
- Explosion of Creativity: Power of Online Communities
- The Future According to Google
- 5 Cheap Alternatives to Hiring a Personal Trainer
- When Your Dream Company is Hiring on Twitter
- Colleges Bring Campuses to Facebook
- Technology Powers Revolutions and Saves Lives
- Best Photo Apps
- Virtual World No Substitute for Real One
- Best Phone Apps for Busy Women
- How to Prevent Identity Theft
- How to Use Facebook So It Does not Use You
- Worst-case Computer Scenarios
- Google Chrome OS Notebook: A Security Game Changer?
- What Is Cloud Computing?
- How to Prevent Data Breaches
- Best Tips for Sharing Videos
- Do You Need an iPad for Your Small Business?
- The App Guide: 5 Must-have Shopping Apps
- Project Management Tips From the Pros
- Finding the Right Skill Set
- Who's Gawking at Your Photos?
- Dealing With Virtual Stalking
- CES 2011 Report - Consumer Electronics Show
- Time to Gear up for 3-D TV?
- How to Get the Best Service From IT Vendors
- Dating Apps: The Lowdown
- New Website Streamlines College-Aid Application
- Gift-card Resale Market Thrives Online
- Stop Cyberbullying Now!
- 5 Cloud Tools to Boost Your Productivity
- Mobile Pay Can Give You an Edge
- How to Find the Best Deals Online
- Should You 'Friend' Your Teens Online?
- Should You Really Post That Comment?
- 5 Smart Tactics for LinkedIn Self-Promotion
- How Repressive Regimes Use the Internet to Keep Power
- WikiLeaks: Diplomacy as Usual
- The Rising Threat of USB Drives
- Integrate Cloud Solutions With Caution
- Tech Solutions to Track Your Resolutions
- Crash Course in Computer Maintenance
- How to Pick the Right Cloud Provider
- Web Tools for Starting a Small Business
- 4 Life-changing Resolutions You Can Stick to
- Create Your Own Social Network
- What the Web Says About You
- FTC Chairman: 'Do Not Track' Rules Would Help Web Thrive
- 'Do Not Track' Rules Would Put a Stop to the Internet As We Know It
- Are Federal 'Do Not Track' Rules Needed?
- The Political Power of Social Media
- Top 3 Kid-safe Social Networks
- 5 Ways to Cultivate Your Kids' Online Reputation
- Preparing Our Children for Global Digital Citizenship Success
- The Great E-reader Roundup
- The NFL's Highest-scoring Apps
- New Gadgets Straight From the Big Screen
- A Game Plan for Protecting Stored Data
- The Drive for Real-time Collaboration
- Hang Onto People Who'll Help You Advance
- Leading New Developments in Visual Computing
- Meet Mr. Industrial: Justin Lassen's Music Machine
- Must-see TV on the Internet
- Share Safely on Social Networks
- 6 Essential Rules for Safe Online Shopping
- Five Steps to Kid-friendly Surfing
- High-tech Help for Weight Loss
- Create a Web Site or Blog for Your Family
- Video Eyewear for Sunglass Cinema
- Smart Phone Apps Help Stop Distracted Driving
- Online Computer Backup Services Remove Hassle
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.