How to Boost Your Reputation and Build an Audience Online
Ever since Eve told Adam, "This apple's amazing! You've got to try it!" word-of-mouth has been the best form of marketing. And yet, until the advent of social media, word-of-mouth marketing on a large scale hasn't existed. In the age of
Social media offers the most powerful way to connect with others, allowing you to network with thousands of people (literally!) from the comfort of your own home. Through harnessing the power of word-of-mouth marketing, social media can transform your business, product, service and passion to the next level.
Are your Twitter followers dwindling? Are you searching for an audience who will "Like" your brand? To help you get started, read an excerpt from our conversation below. Then, be sure and listen to the full
Robert: So, I'm the author of a book, or I've invented something, or I've started a nonprofit for a cause I really care about. What should my first step be moving forward, if I've only dabbled in social media? Maybe I've got a Twitter account or a
Dave: The very first thing I would start doing is actively listening, which doesn't necessarily involve your ears in social media, but it does involve searching and doing research. Look at keywords. You know, if you're an author, you need to look at keywords that people who read your book might be talking about, right? So, if I wrote a book about social media, I might look for the keywords "book on social media." It's really that simple, and just look for people who say, "Hey! Anyone know a good book about social media?" Or, if I have a nonprofit that I want to grow (and obviously that nonprofit is tied to your cause), I look and listen on Twitter, on
Robert: Right. So, you've got your
Dave: I think as soon as you feel like you understand what they want and need, you can start giving it to them. I'm listening to you. I understand you well. If I'm at a cocktail party, once I know that somebody needs an accountant, you know, if I'm a bad sales person, I'm going to say, "Hey! I'm an accountant. You should call me. Here's my business card." That's not going to work, right? What's going to work is, "I know a great accountant," or, "I know a great resource for finding a great accountant." So, similarly, once you're ready to start a conversation in social media, it's about figuring out what value you can provide to the people that you are connected with, and to the people that you are following, and to the people that are following you. So, for instance, with our social media agency, we have almost 18,000 fans on
Photo Credit: @iStockphoto.com/alxpin
- How to Boost Your Reputation and Build an Audience Online
- 5 Facebook Privacy Settings You Should Change Now
- Why IT Drives Success in Business
- 2 Tech Investments Worth Making -- and 1 That Wasn't
- Where New Parallel Developments Fit Into Your Toolkit
- Energy Savings in the Cloud
- Protect Youth From Online Harassment
- The Truth About E-readers
- Google Chrome: 3 Rare Features You'll Love
- How to Use Google+
- 4 Collaboration Tools to Transform Your Projects
- Facebook Business Strategies That Work
- Are Your Employees Addicted to Social Media?
- How to Be Successful: Think Like Larry Ellison
- The Ultimate Tech Wish List
- 4 Ways to Protect Your Kids Online
- 5 Smartphone Picks Made Simple
- HPC: Coming to an IT Shop Near You?
- Getting Physical with Virtual Servers
- Near Field Communication: Niche Tech or Next Big Thing?
- Getting to Know NoSQL
- Is Ruby on Rails a Crown Jewel?
- How to Prevent Insider Attacks
- Cyber Security as a Wicked Problem
- 5 Apps and Strategies for Mobile Security
- Mobile Hot Spot: How to Choose the Right One
- iCloud Seeks to Cement Loyalty of Apple Users
- The Role of Google+ in Business
- Number of Wireless Gadgets Now Outnumbers American Population
- Apple iPhone 4S Sales Enjoy Strong Start
- Android Smartphones Beat Sales of Apple iPhones
- Twitter Good Barometer of National Emotional State
- How to Manage Tech Support in Today's Chaotic Climate
- An Alternative Eulogy for Steve Jobs
- Top 11 Technologies on the Verge of Extinction
- The Top 5 Movie Phones
- Why You Need Double Protection Now: Hardware and Software
- The Long-term Commitment of Embedded Wireless
Copyright © 2011 CBS INTERACTIVE INC. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES INC.