San Francisco, CA
Strategy Analytics has proven what most of us already know -- Apple's iPad is the top selling tablet so far, by far. Strategy Analytics reports that in the second quarter alone, Apple has sold 24.9 million units of its popular tablet iPad. This study is echoed by Apple's quarterly report stating that the company's iPad revenue was up by 52 percent and also up 84 percent in units sold.
With sales and revenue up, Apple holds 68 percent of the tablet market, a 6 percent increase from the second quarter a year ago. Samsung still holds the majority share of the smartphone market because of their affordable phones, but Apple is still the undisputed tablet king.
Samsung, HTC and Asus were expected to compete with Apple's iPad.
Instead they have failed to gain market share on Apple. The economic slowdown has slowed down the iPad's sales rate, but it has not affected Apple's market share.
Analyst Neil Mawston was quoted by TechCrunch: "Despite high expectations for companies like Amazon, Samsung, Acer and Asus, the Android community has yet to make a serious dent in Apple's dominance of the tablet market. Unspectacular hardware designs, limited uptake of cellular models and a modest number of tablet-optimized services have been among some of the main reasons for Android's mixed performance so far."
It will be interesting to see if Microsoft's Surface tablet will be able to gain market share on Apple. The company's Surface tablet is set to hit stores later this year.
Android tablets have a market share of 29.3 percent and has sold approximately 3 million more units this quarter than last quarter.
- Apple and Google Set to Bid for Kodak Patents
- Facebook's Zuckerberg 3 Billion Dollars Lighter in the Pocket
- Facebook and HTC Developing Smartphone
- Apple Looks into Investing in Twitter
- Apple Buys AuthenTec; Purchase is Major Blow to Samsung
- Apple Wins Injunction Against Samsung in Germany
- Apple iPads Dominate Almost 70% of Tablet Market
- Nokia Reports Net Loss of Billions
- Pennsylvania Hospitals Finding Patients on Google and Facebook
- Google Purges Outdated and Redundant Services
- How Much Does Google Stand to Profit From its Nexus 7 Tablet?
- Apple Cooks up DIY iOS Apps
- Clearing the Online App Store Submission Hurdle
- How to Design a Retail App
- Tune It Up: Developing Music Apps
- Nice Gesture, But What Does It Mean
- The Surprising Health Benefits of Texting
- Big Cable's Plan to Lock Down Your Future
- Ready for HTML5
- FDA Seeks to Tame Exploding Medical App Market
- Building a Productivity App
- App Developer Competitions: Worth It?
- Google Announces Nexus 7 Tablet PC
- Microsoft Unveils New Surface Tablet
- Tribute to the TV Remote Control
- The Internet Enhances Beer Muscles
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved