Apple iPad 2: A Smarter Business Tool
Like many other decision-makers in small to midsized businesses, Matthew Traub, managing director of the New York City-based DKC News public relations agency, finds his tablet computer indispensible for business. It acts as his mobile file cabinet, research assistant and display screen all in one, especially in his meetings with colleagues and clients.
"Where I used to bring stacks of paper just in case I needed documentation -- only to inevitably leave behind something I wanted to use -- I now have it all in one place," says Traub.
That place is, of course, his iPad 2. Here's why you should consider investing in one for your business too.
The Business Benefits of an iPad 2
The iPad 2 boasts a thinner, lighter design, and a new dual-core processor that's twice as fast as that of the original iPad. For businesses, this means less waiting (time is money) and increased portability. The following features can also come in handy:
For small businesses that do a lot of video conferencing, the iPad 2's dual camera is likely the most significant advantage. It lets your clients see both you and anything else you need to show from the rear-facing camera.
"I think the iPad 2 can be a good business tool," says Ken Dulaney, vice president of mobile computing at the Gartner research and consulting group, based in Stamford, Conn., "especially for those vertical markets where people are standing or walking." This includes real estate agents, insurance adjustors, construction foremen and the like. And virtually all industries could take advantage of live video calls via the front-facing camera
Smart Touch Screen.
The touch screen interface of the iPad 2 is fast and efficient, so you can instantly access information. "This allows me to be better-informed and better-prepared, even between meetings, so I can stay fully connected," says Traub.
A Gazillion Apps:
From Flipboard , an instapaper with articles from various sources arranged into a virtual newspaper layout, to Penultimate , which transforms the iPad into a real notepad where you can scribble in your own handwriting, you'll find many apps that help you increase productivity.
According to Tim Bajarin -- president of Creative Strategies Inc., a consultancy in Campbell, Calif. -- security is always the most important issue for a business to consider when it adopts new technologies. But whether the iPad 2 is more secure than other tablets is "somewhat debatable," says Bajarin.
When it comes to Web browsing and apps, the level of security changes based on who provides the app. "If it's a Wells Fargo app, it would have the same level of security as online banking because the secure layer is on Wells Fargo's side," says Bajarin. As for email, Apple does back major email security standards, such as Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync.
Can the iPad 2 Replace Your Laptop?
An iPad 2 might replace a laptop under some circumstances, but you're not likely to be able to convert all business functions to the tablet. Office documents, for example, don't always translate well on the iPad 2 because some animations don't work, and smart objects or macros get dropped here and there. "You have to make sure the file you're getting from customers is exactly as they sent it," says Dulaney.
Still, the iPad 2's portability and size make it a valuable asset in some business situations. Says Bajarin: "The iPad 2 is the best offering at the moment. It has the best ecosystem for software apps and services. It's the easiest to purchase, as you simply go to the Apple store or online. And from my experience, it's still the best-designed tablet out there.
- How Apple's iCloud Changes Business
- Use the Cloud to Go Mobile
- Apple iPad 2: A Smarter Business Tool
- Why You Can't Ignore iPhone / iPad Security
- Should You Let Your Teens Blog?
- Should You Talk Politics Online?
- How to Watch TV for Free -- or Close to It
- The Cost of Paying for Netflix
- Future for Slates, Tablets and iPads
- Social Media and Privacy (or Lack Thereof)
- Small Business Video: Life After the Flip
- Is It Safe to Post Photos Online?
- 9 Ways to Avoid Online Scams
- LinkedIn Offers New Options for Students
- 4 Strategies to Avert Virtual Arguments
- Cloud Computing 101: Protect Yourself Online
- How to Recover From a Social Media Mistake
- Why You Should Inventory Business Cloud Use
- Emerging Technology Has Positive Impact in Classroom
- 4 Apps to Manage Your Contacts
- Portable Tech Gadgets You Need This Summer
- Best Tablets for Your Business
- Security Tips for Your Smartphone or Tablet
- 5 New Cloud Tools You'll Love
- Can a Tablet Replace Your Laptop?
- Why Wireless Needs a Network of Networks
- 5 Steps to a Successful Enterprise Wireless Strategy
- 5 Keys for Moving Enterprise Security to the Cloud
- Tips for Building and Deploying Cloud-based Apps
- 5 Business Lessons You Can Learn From Mark Zuckerberg
- Russia: The No. 1 Base of Global Internet Attacks
- Researchers Say New Botnet TDL-4 Poses Big Threat
- The Internet Grows Up
- Ten Ways to Keep Your Online Information Secure
- How Facebook and Your Free Time Can Get You Fired
- The Only 10 Android Health Apps You Need
- Connected TV
- Near-Field Communication Technology the Next Big Thing
- The Future of 3-D Video
- Is Your Teen Sexting?
- Should You Ban Your Tweens From Facebook?
- Home Movies: Then and Now
- Is Social Media Malware Infecting Your Business?
- Is Your Tween (Illegally) on Facebook?
- Are Free Public Wi-Fi Networks Safe?
- Explosion of Creativity: Power of Online Communities
- The Future According to Google
- 5 Cheap Alternatives to Hiring a Personal Trainer
- When Your Dream Company is Hiring on Twitter
- Colleges Bring Campuses to Facebook
- Technology Powers Revolutions and Saves Lives
- Best Photo Apps
- Virtual World No Substitute for Real One
- Best Phone Apps for Busy Women
- How to Prevent Identity Theft
- How to Use Facebook So It Does not Use You
- Worst-case Computer Scenarios
- Google Chrome OS Notebook: A Security Game Changer?
- What Is Cloud Computing?
- How to Prevent Data Breaches
- Best Tips for Sharing Videos
- Do You Need an iPad for Your Small Business?
- The App Guide: 5 Must-have Shopping Apps
- Project Management Tips From the Pros
- Finding the Right Skill Set
- Who's Gawking at Your Photos?
- Dealing With Virtual Stalking
- CES 2011 Report - Consumer Electronics Show
- Time to Gear up for 3-D TV?
- How to Get the Best Service From IT Vendors
- Dating Apps: The Lowdown
- New Website Streamlines College-Aid Application
- Gift-card Resale Market Thrives Online
- Stop Cyberbullying Now!
- 5 Cloud Tools to Boost Your Productivity
- Mobile Pay Can Give You an Edge
- How to Find the Best Deals Online
- Should You 'Friend' Your Teens Online?
- Should You Really Post That Comment?
- 5 Smart Tactics for LinkedIn Self-Promotion
- How Repressive Regimes Use the Internet to Keep Power
- WikiLeaks: Diplomacy as Usual
- The Rising Threat of USB Drives
- Integrate Cloud Solutions With Caution
- Tech Solutions to Track Your Resolutions
- Crash Course in Computer Maintenance
- How to Pick the Right Cloud Provider
- Web Tools for Starting a Small Business
- 4 Life-changing Resolutions You Can Stick to
- Create Your Own Social Network
- What the Web Says About You
- FTC Chairman: 'Do Not Track' Rules Would Help Web Thrive
- 'Do Not Track' Rules Would Put a Stop to the Internet As We Know It
- Are Federal 'Do Not Track' Rules Needed?
- The Political Power of Social Media
- Top 3 Kid-safe Social Networks
- 5 Ways to Cultivate Your Kids' Online Reputation
- Preparing Our Children for Global Digital Citizenship Success
- The Great E-reader Roundup
- The NFL's Highest-scoring Apps
- New Gadgets Straight From the Big Screen
- A Game Plan for Protecting Stored Data
- The Drive for Real-time Collaboration
- Hang Onto People Who'll Help You Advance
- Leading New Developments in Visual Computing
- Meet Mr. Industrial: Justin Lassen's Music Machine
- Must-see TV on the Internet
- Share Safely on Social Networks
- 6 Essential Rules for Safe Online Shopping
- Five Steps to Kid-friendly Surfing
- High-tech Help for Weight Loss
- Create a Web Site or Blog for Your Family
- Video Eyewear for Sunglass Cinema
- Smart Phone Apps Help Stop Distracted Driving
- Online Computer Backup Services Remove Hassle
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.