5 Apps and Strategies for Mobile Security
For professionals and consumers alike, smartphones and tablets are quickly replacing desktops and laptops. But given the growing popularity of these devices, criminals' interest is increasing too, bringing with it a bigger threat of loss, theft and exposure to viruses and malware.
Fortunately, there are plenty of security measures you can take to stay safe. Check out these five strategies -- and corresponding apps -- to help you carry them out:
1. Encrypt and back up your essential data.
Keeper safely cocoons your contact info and sensitive business data within a layer of 128-bit military-grade encryption, archiving it online for immediate retrieval. You can synchronize records across multiple devices, from desktops to tablets, and quickly restore missing files. Your files are only accessible by use of maximum-strength passwords. If hackers unsuccessfully try to log in five times, archived data self-destructs, permanently putting it beyond the reach of offenders.
Available on: iPhone, Windows Phone, BlackBerry and Android devices
2. Protect your devices from viruses and theft.
Security App: Webroot Mobile Security
Harmful apps and websites disguised as legitimate resources are getting harder to spot, even for IT professionals. By perpetually scanning for, detecting and preventing mobile threats, Webroot Mobile Security [disclosure: Webroot is the sponsor of IT Insider Online] stops malicious programs dead in their virtual tracks. It also keeps your data and your device safe: If you lose your phone, you can track its location online, lock the device or SIM card, activate emergency alerts or remotely wipe personal information. Options to block calls, stop spam and end unwanted text messages on-demand are just an added bonus.
Available on: Android devices
3. Safeguard your passwords.
Security App: LastPass
Often find yourself tearing your hair out trying to remember all of your passwords? Save time (and follicles) by storing them in a single, secure online vault, accessible via one master login. Capable of warehousing an endless supply of personal access codes, LastPass even lets you import existing PINs and ciphers from other programs or share logins with colleagues -- without exposing them to digital snoops.
Available on: Android, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, webOS and Symbian devices
4. Hide recent activity, messages and calls.
Security App: History Eraser
As any working professional knows, it pays to have a clean record. Now your smartphone can help. History Eraser lets you wipe everything from your search history, call log, SMS messages and clipboard text with a single touch. The app prevents nosy sorts and intruders from seeing what you've been up to recently -- and with whom.
Available on: Android devices
5. Ensure your privacy during voice calls.
Security App: Kryptos
If you're paranoid (rightfully so or otherwise) about corporate espionage, try Kryptos: It uses 256-bit encryption (so secure, it's suitable for use by the armed forces to scramble voice calls) to keep eavesdroppers from overhearing sensitive conversations. The app is compatible with a range of devices using 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi networks.
Available on: Android, BlackBerry and iPhone
- Cyber Security as a Wicked Problem
- 5 Apps and Strategies for Mobile Security
- Mobile Hot Spot: How to Choose the Right One
- iCloud Seeks to Cement Loyalty of Apple Users
- Number of Wireless Gadgets Now Outnumbers American Population
- Apple iPhone 4S Sales Enjoy Strong Start
- Android Smartphones Beat Sales of Apple iPhones
- Twitter Good Barometer of National Emotional State
- The Role of Google+ in Business
- How to Manage Tech Support in Today's Chaotic Climate
- An Alternative Eulogy for Steve Jobs
- Top 11 Technologies on the Verge of Extinction
- The Top 5 Movie Phones
- Why You Need Double Protection Now: Hardware and Software
- The Long-term Commitment of Embedded Wireless
- Maxing out Multicore
- Google's New Airfare Search System
- The Latest Buying Gimmick: 'Google Wallet'
- Google Plus Now Open to All
- Facebook and Google Build DIY Servers
- Half of Global PC Users Use Illegal Software
- 4 Ways to Save on Gadgets
- Cell Phone Radiation: 5 Ways to Minimize It Now
- How to Choose the Right Tablet
- 5 Cool Apps for Your Labor Day Weekend
- 4G LTE: Not So Fast
- What Can the Cloud Do For You?
- Ubiquitous Computing: Is Ubicomp at a Tipping Point?
- Strike Back at SQL Injections
- The Mob That New Technology Has Made
- Social Networking Leads to Smoking, Drinking and Drug Use
- Cloud 101: Are You a PC, Mac or Cloud?
- Can You Get Fired for Your Blog Posts?
- Should You Switch to Google+ ?
- Navigate the Booming Computer Science Market
- China Outpaces United States in PC Market
- How Apple's iCloud Changes Business
- Use the Cloud to Go Mobile
- Apple iPad 2: A Smarter Business Tool
- Why You Can't Ignore iPhone / iPad Security
- Should You Let Your Teens Blog?
- Should You Talk Politics Online?
- How to Watch TV for Free -- or Close to It
- The Cost of Paying for Netflix
- Future for Slates, Tablets and iPads
- Social Media and Privacy (or Lack Thereof)
- Small Business Video: Life After the Flip
- Is It Safe to Post Photos Online?
- 9 Ways to Avoid Online Scams
- LinkedIn Offers New Options for Students
- 4 Strategies to Avert Virtual Arguments
- Cloud Computing 101: Protect Yourself Online
- How to Recover From a Social Media Mistake
- Why You Should Inventory Business Cloud Use
- Emerging Technology Has Positive Impact in Classroom
- 4 Apps to Manage Your Contacts
- Portable Tech Gadgets You Need This Summer
- Best Tablets for Your Business
- Security Tips for Your Smartphone or Tablet
- 5 New Cloud Tools You'll Love
- Can a Tablet Replace Your Laptop?
- Why Wireless Needs a Network of Networks
- 5 Steps to a Successful Enterprise Wireless Strategy
- 5 Keys for Moving Enterprise Security to the Cloud
- Tips for Building and Deploying Cloud-based Apps
- 5 Business Lessons You Can Learn From Mark Zuckerberg
- Russia: The No. 1 Base of Global Internet Attacks
- Researchers Say New Botnet TDL-4 Poses Big Threat
- The Internet Grows Up
- Ten Ways to Keep Your Online Information Secure
- How Facebook and Your Free Time Can Get You Fired
- The Only 10 Android Health Apps You Need
- Connected TV
- Near-Field Communication Technology the Next Big Thing
- The Future of 3-D Video
- Is Your Teen Sexting?
- Should You Ban Your Tweens From Facebook?
- Home Movies: Then and Now
- Is Social Media Malware Infecting Your Business?
- Is Your Tween (Illegally) on Facebook?
- Are Free Public Wi-Fi Networks Safe?
- Explosion of Creativity: Power of Online Communities
- The Future According to Google
- 5 Cheap Alternatives to Hiring a Personal Trainer
- When Your Dream Company is Hiring on Twitter
- Colleges Bring Campuses to Facebook
- Technology Powers Revolutions and Saves Lives
- Best Photo Apps
- Virtual World No Substitute for Real One
- Best Phone Apps for Busy Women
- How to Prevent Identity Theft
- How to Use Facebook So It Does not Use You
- Worst-case Computer Scenarios
- Google Chrome OS Notebook: A Security Game Changer?
- What Is Cloud Computing?
- How to Prevent Data Breaches
- Best Tips for Sharing Videos
- Do You Need an iPad for Your Small Business?
- The App Guide: 5 Must-have Shopping Apps
- Project Management Tips From the Pros
- Finding the Right Skill Set
- Who's Gawking at Your Photos?
- Dealing With Virtual Stalking
- CES 2011 Report - Consumer Electronics Show
- Time to Gear up for 3-D TV?
- How to Get the Best Service From IT Vendors
- Dating Apps: The Lowdown
- New Website Streamlines College-Aid Application
- Gift-card Resale Market Thrives Online
- Stop Cyberbullying Now!
- 5 Cloud Tools to Boost Your Productivity
- Mobile Pay Can Give You an Edge
- How to Find the Best Deals Online
- Should You 'Friend' Your Teens Online?
- Should You Really Post That Comment?
- 5 Smart Tactics for LinkedIn Self-Promotion
- How Repressive Regimes Use the Internet to Keep Power
- WikiLeaks: Diplomacy as Usual
- The Rising Threat of USB Drives
- Integrate Cloud Solutions With Caution
- Tech Solutions to Track Your Resolutions
- Crash Course in Computer Maintenance
- How to Pick the Right Cloud Provider
- Web Tools for Starting a Small Business
- 4 Life-changing Resolutions You Can Stick to
- Create Your Own Social Network
- What the Web Says About You
- FTC Chairman: 'Do Not Track' Rules Would Help Web Thrive
- 'Do Not Track' Rules Would Put a Stop to the Internet As We Know It
- Are Federal 'Do Not Track' Rules Needed?
- The Political Power of Social Media
- Top 3 Kid-safe Social Networks
- 5 Ways to Cultivate Your Kids' Online Reputation
- Preparing Our Children for Global Digital Citizenship Success
- The Great E-reader Roundup
- The NFL's Highest-scoring Apps
- New Gadgets Straight From the Big Screen
- A Game Plan for Protecting Stored Data
- The Drive for Real-time Collaboration
- Hang Onto People Who'll Help You Advance
- Leading New Developments in Visual Computing
- Meet Mr. Industrial: Justin Lassen's Music Machine
- Must-see TV on the Internet
- Share Safely on Social Networks
- 6 Essential Rules for Safe Online Shopping
- Five Steps to Kid-friendly Surfing
- High-tech Help for Weight Loss
- Create a Web Site or Blog for Your Family
- Video Eyewear for Sunglass Cinema
- Smart Phone Apps Help Stop Distracted Driving
- Online Computer Backup Services Remove Hassle
Copyright © 2011 Studio One Networks. All rights reserved.