Landon Donovan Named MLS All-Star for Record 12th Time
(Photo by Stuart Franklin/Getty Images for Sony)
New York, NY
Los Angeles Galaxy superstar midfielder Landon Donovan was named to a MLS-record 12th consecutive All-Star Game.
Donovan will headline the team that will face reigning European champions Chelsea July 25 at PPL Park in Chester, Pennsylvania.
Donovan has been selected for the All-Star game every season since his debut in 2001. He passed MLS stalwart and former US national team defender Eddie Pope, who appeared in 11 All-Star Game during his career.
Donovan is joined by Galaxy teammate David Beckham as well as New York Red Bulls star Thierry Henry on the team's First XI. Beckham makes his third All-Star appearance and Henry returns for his second stint since joining the league in 2010.
Reigning league MVP Dwayne De Rosario will make his seventh All-Star appearance after sparking D.C. United to one of the league's best records this season while San Jose Earthquakes star Chris Wondolowski will make the second All-Star appearance of his eight-year career.
Others who made it to the First XI via fans voting are goaltender Jimmy Nielsen (Sporting Kansas City, defenders Steven Beitashour (San Jose Earthquakes), Aurélien Collin (Sporting Kansas City), Jay DeMerit (Vancouver Whitecaps FC) and Heath Pearce (New York Red Bulls)
Aside from Beckham, De Rosario and Donovan, Graham Zusi of Sporting Kansas City has been selected as midfielder.
D.C. United head coach Ben Olsen, who was given the All-Star head coaching job after original selection Peter Nowak parted ways with the Philadelphia Union earlier this season, will select the starters based on player availability and tactical considerations.
Two selections by MLS Commissioner Don Garber and the complete game day roster will be announced on July 15 during halftime of the New York Red Bulls vs. Seattle Sounders game.
- Chelsea Captain Terry Maintains He is Not Racist
- Roberto Mancini Signs Five-Year Deal with Manchester City
- Landon Donovan Named MLS All-Star for Record 12th Time
- Spain Tops Italy: Nabs 2nd Straight Euro Championship
- Euro 2012 Finals Preview: Italy vs Spain
- Super Mario Balotelli Lifts Italy Past Germany into Euro Final
- David Beckham Surprise Omission from Great Britain's Olympic Soccer Team
- Spain Tops Portugal in Penalty Shootout, Advances to Euro Final
- Italy Hopes to Get Key Players Back vs Germany
- Spain and Portugal Ready for Euro 2012 Semi-final Battle
- Italy Tops England in Penalty Shootout
- Alonso Sparks Spain Past France into Semifinals
- Germany Posts Record 15th Straight Win, Books Place in Euro 2012 Semis
- Greece Faces Daunting Task vs Germany in Euro 2012 Quarterfinals
- Ronaldo's Header Powers Portugal into Euro 2012 Semis
- England and France Move On to Euro 2012 Quarterfinals
- Spain And Italy Move on to Euro 2012 Quarterfinal Round
- Germany and Portugal March into Euro 2012 Quarterfinals
- Coach Del Bosque Signs Contract Extension with Spain
- Czechs and Greeks Advance to Euro 2012 Soccer Quarterfinals
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved