Germany Posts Record 15th Straight Win, Books Place in Euro 2012 Semis
Germany booked its place in the semifinal round of the European Championship 2012 in historic fashion, hammering Greece, 4-2, for a record 15th consecutive win.
The Germans have surpassed the 14-game winning streak they previously shared with France, Netherlands and Spain. Germany has started its winning run after defeating Uruguay, 3-2, to place third in the 2010 World Cup.
"That was a class performance from the team to reach the semi-finals for the fourth time in a row," said coach Joachim Loew, who has steered the Germans to the semifinals of the last two World Cups and the Euro final in 2008.
The Germans, semifinalists for the fourth straight time, will face the winner of the England-Italy match for a place in the final.
Germany turned a close match at PGE Arena into a lopsided one by scoring three goals in the second half from Sami Khedira, Miroslav Klose and Marco Reus.
Loew made three significant changes before the match as he replaced his regular forward line of Mario Gomez, Lukas Podolski and Thomas Muller with Miroslav Klose, Andre Schurrle and Marco Reus.
Klose and Reus did not fail Loew as they scored in the 68th and 64th minute to give the Germans a comfortable 4-1 lead before Dimitris Salpingidis converted a penalty for Greece before time expired.
Philipp Lahm opened scoring with a fine long-range strike after 39 minutes to give Germany an early lead but Greece equalized 10 minutes into the second half with Georgios Samaras tapping in a Salpingidis cross.
The loss was the heaviest defeat for Greece at a European Championship, eclipsing the Greeks' 3-1 defeat at the hands of Czechoslovakia in 1980.
"We made life unnecessarily hard for ourselves. We created lots of chances and took the lead, but then gave it away again," Lahm told goal.com after the game.
"We can be happy that we created more goals and are now in the semi-finals. We started really, really well, so we can be happy," added Lahm, who took over as captain after Michael Ballack was sidelined by injury ahead of the 2010 World Cup.
Blaring horns near Berlin's Brandenburg Gate greet Germany's 4-2 victory over Greece, as fans celebrate the team's advance to the Euro 2012 semi-finals
Germany marches on in Gdansk
- Spain Tops Italy: Nabs 2nd Straight Euro Championship
- Euro 2012 Finals Preview: Italy vs Spain
- Super Mario Balotelli Lifts Italy Past Germany into Euro Final
- David Beckham Surprise Omission from Great Britain's Olympic Soccer Team
- Spain Tops Portugal in Penalty Shootout, Advances to Euro Final
- Italy Hopes to Get Key Players Back vs Germany
- Spain and Portugal Ready for Euro 2012 Semi-final Battle
- Italy Tops England in Penalty Shootout
- Alonso Sparks Spain Past France into Semifinals
- Germany Posts Record 15th Straight Win, Books Place in Euro 2012 Semis
- Greece Faces Daunting Task vs Germany in Euro 2012 Quarterfinals
- Ronaldo's Header Powers Portugal into Euro 2012 Semis
- England and France Move On to Euro 2012 Quarterfinals
- Spain And Italy Move on to Euro 2012 Quarterfinal Round
- Germany and Portugal March into Euro 2012 Quarterfinals
- Coach Del Bosque Signs Contract Extension with Spain
- Czechs and Greeks Advance to Euro 2012 Soccer Quarterfinals
- Fernando Torres Stars in Spain's 4-0 Win Over Ireland
- Euro 2012: Portugal Edges Denmark; Germany Tops Netherlands
- Euro 2012: Czechs Drub Greece; Poland Ties Russia
- Euro 2012: England and France Battle to Draw at Euro 2012
- United States Settles for Tie on Road Against Guatemala
- Euro 2012: Italy Ties Defending Champion Spain; Croatia Dumps Ireland
- Euro 2012: Denmark Shocks Netherlands; Germany Edges Portugal
- Euro 2012: Russia Trounces Czech Republic; Poland-Greece Draw
- World Cup Qualifying: US Faces Tough Challenge in Guatemala
- Sweden Ends Euro 2012 Preparation with Win vs Serbia
- Brazil Downs United States in Exhibition Soccer Match
- Spanish Soccer Squad Unleashes True Form Against South Korea
- Landon Donovan Hat Trick Powers United States Past Scotland
- Offensive-Minded Coach, Goal Scorers Boost US Soccer Team
- Soccer Bridges Distance Between Manchester City and Abu Dhabi
- Manchester City Wins Premiere League Crown After 44 Years
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved