Dutch striker Robin Van Persie struck early and late in the match, giving Arsenal a 2-1 victory over Sunderland in their Sunday's English Premier League regular-season encounter at Emirates Stadium.
Persie came up with his finest individual performance so far this year, scoring the first goal 26 seconds into the match and then nailing a pressure-packed free kick in the 83rd minute mark to give Arsenal only its third win in the ongoing 2011-12 Premier League season.
Sebastian Larsson recorded the lone goal for Sunderland, who dropped to 1-3-4 in the regular-season standings.
In the Spanish La Liga, Levante continued its surprising regular-season start with another win against Malaga, 3-0, Sunday at Ciutat de Valencia.
Jose Barkero, Arouna Koné, and Juanlu managed a goal each to power Levante to their fifth win of the season.
With the victory, Levante find themselves in solo second ahead of Real Madrid and just behind Barcelona, who boasted the same 5-2-0 card but nabbed the top position with a better goal differential.
- Balotelli Sparks Manchester City to Dominant Win Against Manchester United
- Premier League: Olsson, Scharner Help West Brom Edge Ashton Villa
- Sergio Aguero's Late Game-Winner Lift Manchester City Over Villarreal
- EUFA Champions League: Barca Solves Viktoria Plzen; Chelsea Rips Racing Genk
- Manchester City Moves to Top of Table
- Arsenal Edges Sunderland on Van Persie's Two Goals
- Wayne Rooney Out Three Euro Matches for Kick at Foe
- U.S. Soccer Team Falls to Ecuador; Canada on Top in World Cup Qualifying
- Spurs Edge Arsenal; Fulham and Chelsea Win In Romps
- Hargreaves Has Successful Return to Action For Man City in Carling Cup
- Manchester United Claims Premiership Top Spot with Win Over Chelsea
Copyright © 2011 AHN - All Rights Reserved