So much for a sweep. The Pittsburgh Penguins played with desperation as they battered the Flyers 10-3 to cut Philly's series lead to 3-1 in the Eastern Quarterfinal series.
Thanks to an offensive explosion, the Pens are headed back to Pittsburgh, with the hopes of making this high-scoring battle a series.
The Penguins chased goalie Ilya Bryzgalov after Kris Letang scored early in the second period to make it 5-3.
"I think Bryz needed to come out," Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said. "He gave up five goals in 22 minutes. He's been carrying the load for us."
Letang had a hat trick. Sidney Crosby, Matt Niskanen, Steve Sullivan, Pascal Dupuis and everyone but the equipment manager scored for the Pens.
The Flyers actually recorded the first tally of the game. Claude Giroux slipped one by the Pens Marc Andre Fleury a minute into the game. Jake Voracek and Kimmo Timonen also scored for the Flyers.
But the Pens, who blew leads in the first three games, finally buil a margin it couldn't squander. The Penguins clearly outplayed the Flyers in every phase of the game.
"They seemed to have more jump in their step that we did," Laviolette said. "They played desperate. They are a talented team."
If anyone knew that Bryzgalov would take a 4.97 GAA and a .844 save percentage into game five, they would think that the Flyers would be trailing the Pens. However, the Flyers will have another chance to their arch-rival's season Friday night.
"We have all the faith in the world in Bryz," Claude Giroux said.
Despite the drubbing, the Flyers are confident regarding the next test.
"We're going to find out what kind of team we have," Jaromir Jagr said. "If we are the team we think we are, we have to respond the next game."
- Devils Force Game 7 vs Panthers
- Gritty Lundqvist, Rangers Force Game 7 vs Senators
- Stoll Scores in OT as Kings Send Canucks Packing
- Flyers Finish Off Penguins with Rout
- Blues Use Third-Period Flurry to Oust Sharks in First-Round
- Senators Stun Rangers Again in Game Five
- Coyotes Forward Raffi Torres Slapped with 25-Game Suspension
- Fleury Stops 24 Shots, Penguins Stay Alive vs Flyers
- Predators Oust Red Wings from Playoffs
- Brodeur Bounces Back: Devils Goalie Nets Another Playoff Shutout
- Torres Suspended Indefinitely After Knocking Out Hossa
- Daniel Sedin's Return Sparks Canucks Past Kings
- Penguins Erupt for 10 Goals, Stay Alive With Rout of Flyers
- Coyotes Top Blackhawks in OT; Hossa Hospitalized After Hit
- Lundqvist Shines as Rangers Top Senators for Series Lead
- Rinne Stops 42 Shots, Predators Edge Red Wings for 2-1 Series Lead
- Flyers Punish Penguins to Take Commanding 3-0 Lead
- Caps Edge Bruins, Knot Series 1-1 Behind Backstrom's 2OT Tally
- Dustin Brown Sparkles as Kings Top Canucks for 2-0 Series Lead
- Hanzal OT Tally Lifts Coyotes Over Blackhawks for Series Lead
- Ryan Callahan Leads Rangers Past Senators in Series Opener
- Dustin Penner Helps Kings Topple Canucks in Series Opener
- Braden Holtby to Start in Between Pipes for Caps vs Bruins
- Canucks Win President's Cup Enter Stanley Cup Playoffs as Top Seed
- Flyers Losing at Game of 'Slots'; Big Body Needs to Step Forward
- Flyers Blueline Gets Lift with Defenseman Pavel Kubina
- Top 10 Cities With the Most Sports Championships
- Flyers Youth Movement is a Winner
- Maple Leafs GM Burke Yearns for Old NHL, More Fights
- Police Looking for Flyers Fans Who Attacked Rangers Fans
- Rangers Edge Flyers in Winter Classic
- Canucks Colluding on Another Shot at Stanley Cup
- Everyone Knows Claude Giroux's Name in Philly
- Radim Vrbata Keeping Phoenix Coyotes Near Top of Pacific
- NHL Adopts Four Conference Realignment Plan
- Forbes Lists Maple Leafs as Most Valuable NHL Franchise
- Red Wings Ageless Wonder Lidstrom Keeps Team On Winning Path
- Maple Leafs Forward Phil Kessel Out in Front in NHL All Star Voting
- Defending Stanley Cup Champ Bruins Back in Title Form With 10-Game Winning Streak
- Flyers Chemistry Helping Team Take Off
- Montreal Canadiens Hopes for Big Season Riding on Goalie Carey Price
- CBC Distancing Itelf from Don Cherry's Over Hockey Fighting Comments
- Penguins Put Sidney Crosby on Injured Reserve to Start Season
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved