Devils Edge Rangers 3-2: Even Series at 1-1
2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
New York, NY
After being shut out in the series opener, the Devils' offense awoke with David Clarkson scoring the eventual winner in the third period, and New Jersey held on to beat the New York Rangers 3-2 in Game 2 Wednesday night at Madison Square Garden.
It evened the Eastern Conference Finals at 1-1.
After getting blanked in the opener Monday, 2-0, the rejuvenated Devils got Rangers' netminder Henrik Lundqvist busy in Game 2 with 27 shots on goal and came away with three goals for the win.
New Jersey drew first blood as it notched its elusive first goal of the series when Devils star Ilya Kovalchuk beat the Rangers' All-Star goalie high-glove side on the power play in the opening stanza.
On Wednesday, the Devils got down 2-1 before fourth-liners Ryan Carter and Clarkson got past Lundqvist by connecting on a pair of deflections, and New Jersey outplayed the Rangers in the pivotal third frame.
At the 2:31 mark of the third period, Clarkson scored a tip-in goal off Adam Henrique's shot from the right point that shattered a 2-2 deadlock.
Clarkson, who is having a strong playoff run, has scored three goals in this postseason. All of those goals were game winners.
The Devils' 28-year-old forward also has six assists and a plus-minus rating of plus-6 through 14 games in the playoffs.
Martin Brodeur, who turned aside all eight Rangers shots in the final 20 minutes after Clarkson's tip-in, finished with 23 saves.
Marc Staal and Chris Kreider had power play goals for the Rangers, who received a 24-save effort Lundqvist.
The Devils, who are in the conference finals for the first time since winning the Stanley Cup in 2003, improved to 5-4 on the road in the postseason.
Game 3 is set for Saturday at Prudential Center as this series switches to Newark for the next two contests.
Devils Edge Rangers 3-2: Even Series at 1-1
- Staples Center Officials Defend Decision to Bar Charlie Sheen from Re-Entering Arena
- Henrique Helps Devils Stave Off Kings Sweep
- Kings Blank Devils 4-0 in Game 3; One Win from First Stanley Cup
- Jeff Carter OT Goal Lifts Kings over Devils
- 2012 Stanley Cup Finals: Game 2 Preview
- Kings Take Stanley Cup Opener Behind Anze Kopitar OT Tally
- Red Wings Defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom to Retire
- Rested Devils Ready for Kings in Stanley Cup Finals
- Devils Finish Off Rangers in Game 6
- Devils Net Pair in Third Period, Edge Rangers In Game 5
- Penner OT Goal Lifts Kings Past Coyotes into Stanley Cup Finals
- Brodeur, Parise Power Devils Past Rangers; Knot Series 2-2
- Coyotes Shut Down Kings, Keep Stanley Cup Hopes Alive
- Rangers Outlast Devils: Regain Control of Eastern Conference Finals
- Surging Kings Break Coyotes to Take 3-0 Series Lead
- Devils Edge Rangers 3-2: Even Series at 1-1
- Road-Tested Kings Rout Coyotes for 2-0 Series Lead
- Lundqvist Blanks Devils, Rangers Take 1-0 Series Lead
- Kings Remain Rulers of the Road with Win at Phoenix
- Dale Hunter Steps Down as Washington Capitals Coach
- Capitals Hold Off Rangers to Force Game 7
- Devils Bounce Flyers, Advance to Stanley Cup Conference Finals
- Morris and Hanzal Goals Lift Coyotes Past Predators
- Staal Overtime Goal Lifts Rangers over Capitals in Game 5
- Devils Defeat Flyers 4-2 on Brodeur's 40th
- Kings Advance to Western Conference Finals in Sweep of Blues
- Mike Green's Late Power-Play Goal Lifts Capitals Over Rangers
- Coyotes Blank Predators, Take 3-1 Series Lead
- Kings Thump Blues: Take Commanding 3-0 Series Lead
- Devils Earn 4-3 OT Victory Over Flyers
- Rangers Win 3 OT Thriller Over Caps
- Third Period The Charm For Devils in 4-1 Win Over Flyers
- Alex Ovechkin Nets Winner As Caps Knot Series with Rangers
- Kings Continue Road Success Blitzing Blues
- Briere OT Goal Lifts Flyers Past Devils 4-3
- Rangers Take Opener from Capitols
- Stanley Cup Conference Semifinals Now Set
- Rangers and Devils Advance After Game 7 Wins
- Joel Ward OT Tally Sends Caps Past Bruins in Game 7
- Devils Force Game 7 vs Panthers
- Gritty Lundqvist, Rangers Force Game 7 vs Senators
- Stoll Scores in OT as Kings Send Canucks Packing
- Flyers Finish Off Penguins with Rout
- Blues Use Third-Period Flurry to Oust Sharks in First-Round
- Senators Stun Rangers Again in Game Five
- Coyotes Forward Raffi Torres Slapped with 25-Game Suspension
- Fleury Stops 24 Shots, Penguins Stay Alive vs Flyers
- Predators Oust Red Wings from Playoffs
- Brodeur Bounces Back: Devils Goalie Nets Another Playoff Shutout
- Torres Suspended Indefinitely After Knocking Out Hossa
- Daniel Sedin's Return Sparks Canucks Past Kings
- Penguins Erupt for 10 Goals, Stay Alive With Rout of Flyers
- Coyotes Top Blackhawks in OT; Hossa Hospitalized After Hit
- Lundqvist Shines as Rangers Top Senators for Series Lead
- Rinne Stops 42 Shots, Predators Edge Red Wings for 2-1 Series Lead
- Flyers Punish Penguins to Take Commanding 3-0 Lead
- Caps Edge Bruins, Knot Series 1-1 Behind Backstrom's 2OT Tally
- Dustin Brown Sparkles as Kings Top Canucks for 2-0 Series Lead
- Hanzal OT Tally Lifts Coyotes Over Blackhawks for Series Lead
- Ryan Callahan Leads Rangers Past Senators in Series Opener
- Dustin Penner Helps Kings Topple Canucks in Series Opener
- Braden Holtby to Start in Between Pipes for Caps vs Bruins
- Canucks Win President's Cup Enter Stanley Cup Playoffs as Top Seed
- Flyers Losing at Game of 'Slots'; Big Body Needs to Step Forward
- Flyers Blueline Gets Lift with Defenseman Pavel Kubina
- Top 10 Cities With the Most Sports Championships
- Flyers Youth Movement is a Winner
- Maple Leafs GM Burke Yearns for Old NHL, More Fights
- Police Looking for Flyers Fans Who Attacked Rangers Fans
- Rangers Edge Flyers in Winter Classic
- Canucks Colluding on Another Shot at Stanley Cup
- Everyone Knows Claude Giroux's Name in Philly
- Radim Vrbata Keeping Phoenix Coyotes Near Top of Pacific
- NHL Adopts Four Conference Realignment Plan
- Forbes Lists Maple Leafs as Most Valuable NHL Franchise
- Red Wings Ageless Wonder Lidstrom Keeps Team On Winning Path
- Maple Leafs Forward Phil Kessel Out in Front in NHL All Star Voting
- Defending Stanley Cup Champ Bruins Back in Title Form With 10-Game Winning Streak
- Flyers Chemistry Helping Team Take Off
- Montreal Canadiens Hopes for Big Season Riding on Goalie Carey Price
- CBC Distancing Itelf from Don Cherry's Over Hockey Fighting Comments
- Penguins Put Sidney Crosby on Injured Reserve to Start Season
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved