Don Cherry is not backing down regarding his recent rant on fighting in hockey.
Cherry used his popular "Coach's Corner" segment on CBC's "Hockey Night in Canada" broadcast to both blast what he felt were hypocritical former players and then back up the comments a few nights later.
On Saturday the outspoken hockey personality said he's not going to stop talking about fighting but did say he regretted some of his language.
"Maybe one (regret), with the 'puke' stuff with the kids listening and that," Chery said Saturay during the first intermission of the game between the Ottawa Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs. "That's rude, and I shouldn't say it."
On Thursday's edition of "Coach's Corner," Cherry called former enforcers Stu Grimson, Chris Nilan and Jim Thomson "pukes" and "hypocrites" for speaking out against fighting in the sport.
Cherry was criticized for his comments, and the CBC issued a statement Saturday saying it does not agree with the views he expressed.
Kirstine Stewart, the CBC's executive vice-president of English services, said Cherry's comments reflect his own personal opinion.
"While we support his right to voice that opinion, we do not share his position," Stewart said in the statement. "Player safety is a top priority for CBC, and we support the initiatives of the NHL and others in keeping players safe on and off the ice."
Stewart said she spoke Friday with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and delivered a similar message.
- Montreal Canadiens Hopes for Big Season Riding on Goalie Carey Price
- CBC Distancing Itelf from Don Cherry's Over Hockey Fighting Comments
- Penguins Put Sidney Crosby on Injured Reserve to Start Season
- New York Rangers Drop Sean Avery
- Senators Goalie Lehner Says He Will be Patient
- NHL Great Mike Modano Retires After 21 Seasons
- Calgary Flames Hope to Start New Season Like They Ended Last One: Hot
- Veteran Forward Owen Nolan Looking for One More Shot with Canucks
- Top Leafs Prospect Jake Gardiner Has Learned Defense Quickly
- City of Vancouver Not Happy with NHL Stance Regarding Post-Game Riots
- Rebuilding Ottawa Senators Look to Bounce Back From Poor Season
- Can the Winnipeg Jets Win?
- Chelios, Tkachuk, Suter Among U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Inductees
- Ducks' Perry and Bruins' Thomas Highlight NHL Awards
Copyright © 2011 AHN - All Rights Reserved