LeBron Snares Third NBA Most Valuable Player Trophy
2012 NBA Playoffs
LeBron James is King once again, winning the NBA Most Valuable Player (MVP) Award for the third time in the last four years.
The Miami Heat superstar became the eighth player in the league's history to win the award three times, joining Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Moses Malone.
Only Abdul-Jabbar (6), Jordan (5), Russell (5) and Chamberlain (4) have more MVP trophies than James, who also won the award in 2008 and 2009 seasons.
Commissioner David Stern will present the Mauricio Podoloff trophy to James again before Miami squares off with Indiana in Game 1 of the NBA Eastern Conference semifinal series on Sunday.
Winning the MVP trophy named after first commissioner of the NBA was overwhelming but James said he and the Heat nation have a bigger goal -- to bring the championship trophy once again to Miami.
"This is very overwhelming to me as an individual award. But this is not the award I want, ultimately. I want that championship. That's all that matters to me," James said.
"I'd give all three of them back for an NBA championship," he added. "It's all I care about. It's all I know."
James averaged 27.1 points, 7.9 rebounds and 6.2 assists in the regular season. He was only the fourth player with those stat lines in at least two season, joining Oscar Robertson (five times), John Havlicek (twice) and Bird (twice).
James received 85 of a possible 121 first-place votes from panel of sportswriters and broadcasters who cover the league and collective fan vote on NBA.com, finishing with 1,074 points.
He topped Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant (889 points, 24 first-place votes), Los Angeles Clippers' Chris Paul (385, six first-place votes), Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant (352, two first-place votes) and San Antonio's Tony Parker (331, four first-place votes).
Chicago Bulls guard Rose placed 10th in the voting with just five points. He was hobbled with injuries in the regular season and had a torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) in Game 1 of their playoff series against the Philadelphia 76ers.
Fans love to root against LeBron James, except in Miami of course. He's everyone's favorite sports villain and the scapegoat when the Miami Heat fall short of a NBA championship. But Len Berman wonders if all that "hate" is fair?
Is LeBron James the Most Hated Player in Sports?
LeBron Snares Third NBA Most Valuable Player Trophy
LeBron James talks about winning the NBA MVP award
- LeBron's 45 Points Crush Celtics
- Durant Powers Oklahoma City Thunder to NBA Finals
- Cavs Eye North Carolina's Harrison Barnes as Possible Draft Pick
- Trail Blazers Appoint ex-Clipper Executive Olshey as GM
- Garnett Double-Double, Pierce Clutch Trey Lift Celts Over Heat
- Thunder Push Spurs to Brink with Game 5 Road Win
- Celtics Survive Heat in OT; Even series at 2-2
- Durant, Ibaka-powered Thunder Top Spurs in Game 4
- Big 3 Respond vs Heat; Celtics Narrow Series Deficit to 2-1
- Ibaka, Sefolosha Star in Thunder's Game 3 Win Over Spurs
- Wade Carries Heat Past Celtics in OT; Miami Nets 2-0 Series Lead
- Hornets Win Top Lottery Pick in Upcoming NBA Draft
- Spurs Hold Off Thunder for Commanding 2-0 series Lead
- Tim Duncan Declares: 'I'm a Spur for life'
- LeBron, Wade Lead Heat to Game 1 Win Over Celtics
- Ginobili, Reserves Key Spurs Game 1 Win Over Thunder
- Spoelstra Fined 25K For Criticizing Refs in Pacers Series
- Rajon Rondo Leads Celtics to Game 7 Win
- Guarded Optimism: Knicks Expect Jeremy Lin to Stay
- Wade Explodes For 41: Heat Topple Pacers Advance to East Finals
- Jerry West Says Lakers No Longer Among Best
- Sixers Force Celtics to Winner-Take-All Game Seven
- For The Birds: Pacers Exec Doesn't Like Team's 'Soft' Play
- LeBron Leads NBA All-Defensive First Team
- Eight Shot in Oklahoma City after Thunder Win
- Brandon Bass Keys Celtics Win Over 76ers in Game 5
- Clippers Look to Secure Griffin and Paul with Long-Term Deals
- LeBron and Wade Torch Pacers as Heat Level Series 2-2
- Thunder Steal Game 4 vs Lakers, Take Commanding 3-1 Series Lead
- Huge Third Quarter Lifts Spurs Past Clippers for 3-0 Series Lead
- Lakers Hand Thunder First Playoff Loss, Trail Series 2-1
- Sixers Claw Back From 18-Point Deficit to Top Celtics
- Wade, Spoelstra Clash as Heat Wilt Under Pressure
- Tony Parker Nets 22, Spurs Top Clippers for 2-0 lead
- Pacers Frontline Delivers 2-1 Series Edge Against Heat
- Kevin Durant Rallies Thunder Past Lakers for 2-0 Series Lead
- Pierce Explodes as Celtics Take 2-1 Edge Against Sixers
- Well-rested Spurs Top Clippers in Game 1 of West Semis
- Lebron and Heat Cool Off, Fall To Pacers in Game 2
- Sixers Edge Celtics to Knot Series at 1-1
- LeBron and Wade Combine for 61 points as Heat Topple Pacers
- Stern Agrees that Flopping in NBA is a Concern
- Kyrie Irving Named NBA's Top Rookie
- Coach K to Step Down as Team USA Coach After London Games
- Clippers Tame Grizzlies in Game 7
- Rejuvenated Gasol Powers Lakers Past Nuggets in Game 7
- Rondo, Garnett Rally Celtics Past Sixers in Series-Opener
- Grizzlies Rout Hobbled Clippers to Force Game 7
- Heat Coach Spoelstra Expects Physical Battle Against Pacers
- Pacers' Vogel: Miami Heat Flopped Way to Top
- LeBron Snares Third NBA Most Valuable Player Trophy
- Bulls Superstar Derrick Rose Undergoes Knee Surgery
- Ty Lawson's Career Night Helps Nuggets Force Game 7 vs Lakers
- Pumped-Up Garnett Carries Celtics in Series Clincher vs Hawks
- Iguodala's Clutch Free-Throws Lift Sixers Past Bulls
- Ginobili Hopes Grizzlies-Clippers Series Goes Distance
- LeBron Scores 29 as Heat Finish Off Knicks
- Grizzlies Top Clippers to Force Game 6
- Hawks Co-owner Gearon Calls Garnett Dirty
- Nuggets Fend Off Late Lakers Surge to Force Game 6
- Sessions Becoming a Key to Lakers Championship Push
- Carmelo Scores 41: Knicks Avoid Sweep; Top Heat in Game 4
- James Harden's Career Night Helps Thunder Sweep Mavs
- Backcourt Consistency Gives Sixers 2-1 Series Edge Over Bulls
- Ty Lawson Leads Nuggets Back into Series vs Lakers
- Durant-Powered Thunder Rout Mavs for 3-0 Series Lead
- Lebron Guides Heat Past Knicks in Game 3
- O.J. Mayo Scores 20 as Grizzlies Top Clippers in Game 2
- Spurs Squelch Jazz in Impressive Rout; Forge 2-0 Series Lead
- Kobe Scores 38 as Lakers Beat Nuggets for 2-0 Series Lead
- Knicks Amare Stoudemire Injures Hand
- Brooklyn Nets Unveil New Logo
- Heat and Thunder Forge 2-0 Playoff Series Leads
- Jeremy Lin Hopes for Return vs Heat
- Bryant, Bynum Lift Lakers Over Nuggets
- Tony Parker Pours in 28: Spurs Blast Jazz
- Durant's Heroics Prevent Mavs From Stealing Series Opener
- LeBron James, Heat Too Strong for Knicks in Game 1
Bulls Win Opener vs Sixers
Lose Derrick Rose to Injury
- Mavs Owner Cuban Says West Winnable for Several Teams
- Bulls, Heat Take Court for NBA Playoff Openers
Copyright © 2012 AHN. All rights reserved