Kidd Leaves Mavericks for Knicks
New York, NY
In a move that caught many by surprise, point guard Jason Kidd has left the Dallas Mavericks to sign with the New York Knicks
"I think I can help," Kidd told ESPN.com after agreeing to a three-year deal worth $9 million with the Knicks, the same offer that the Mavericks brought to the table.
"The Knicks have more pieces to work with," added Kidd, who was believed to stay with the Mavericks before the surprising move was known. Kidd can sign the new deal July 11, the first day new NBA contracts can be signed.
The contract could be the last for Kidd, who will be 42 when the new contract expires. He can inherit the point guard role full time if the Knicks decline to match the Houston Rockets' offer to starting playmaker Jeremy Lin, a restricted free agent.
Kidd averaged 6.2 points and 5.5 assists last season, his 18th in the NBA. Kidd ranks second all-time with 11,842 assists, trailing only John Stockton (15,806).
Lin has reportedly agreed to sign a four-year offer sheet with the Rockets worth $28.8 million, with $10.2 million coming in the first two seasons and over $9 million in each of the last two. The fourth season is a team option.
The Knicks are expected to match the offer as they have no plan of letting Lin go. "They will match any offer on Lin up to 1 billion dollars," a source told ESPN.com.
Jason Kidd on why he chose the Knicks
Tyson Chandler on the Knicks' acquisition of Jason Kidd
- Rockets Drop Scola, Eye Move for Dwight Howard
- Hornets Keep Playmaker Eric Gordon
- Center Chris Kaman Joins Mavericks for $8M
- Knicks Keeping Lin, Decide to Match Rockets Offer
- Blake Griffin and Clippers Agree on Five-Year, $95M Extension
- Tim Duncan Stays with Spurs for 3 More Years
- Spurs Sign Green and Diaw to Deals
- Dwyane Wade Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery
- United States Announces Final Basketball Roster for London Games
- Hornets Deal for Magic's Ryan Anderson
- Kirk Hinrich Returns to Bulls
- Brandon Roy Signs Two-Year Deal with T-Wolves
- Knicks to Match Rockets Multi-Year Deal Offer to Jeremy Lin
- Sixers Amnesty Elton Brand
- Kidd Leaves Mavericks for Knicks
- Steve Nash Hollywood Bound
- Star Guard Deron Williams Stays with Nets
- Jason Terry and Celtics Come to Terms
- Hawks Trade Marvin Williams to Jazz for Devin Harris
- Hawks Trade Joe Johnson to Nets
- Dwight Howard Only Wants Trade to Brooklyn Nets
- Kevin Garnett Returns to Celtics
- Celtics Take Shot on Ex-Ohio State Star Jared Sullinger
- Chris Bosh to Rest Abdominals and Skip Olympics
- Kentucky Two-Fer: Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist Top Picks in NBA Draft
- NBA Doctors Red Flag Perry Jones III Due to Knee Issue
- Pistons Deal Ben Gordon and First Round Pick to Charlotte for Maggette
- Rockets Trade Budinger to T-Wolves for 18th Pick
- Larry Bird to Leave Post as Pacers President
- OKC Will Try to Regain Thunder After Defeat to Heat
- NBA Will Not Invite Ex-Ohio State Star Jared Sullinger to Draft
- D-Will Considering Nets and Mavs
- Filipinos Bask in Spoelstra's Success as Heat Coach
- 'King' Gets His Crown: LeBron, Heat Thrash Thunder for NBA Title
- NBA's David Stern and Radio Host Jim Rome Exchange Verbal Jabs
- Jeff Van Gundy Understands Cleveland's Animosity Toward LeBron
Copyright © 2012 AHN. All rights reserved