Golfers Snap Over Cell Phones
Mickelson reportedly texts PGA commissioner from course
Phil Mickelson withdrew from The Memorial Tournament due to "mental fatigue". Apparently what he was really tired of was cell phone usage on the course.
The cell phone issue contributed to Mickelson withdrawing after firing a 79 in the first round. Mickelson, Bubba Watson and Rickie Fowler talked about fans taking pictures with their phones after playing the first round at Muirfield Village together.
According to an ESPN report, to four people with direct knowledge said that Mickelson sent a text message to PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem from the sixth fairway saying that a lack of policing fans with cell phones was getting out of hand.
Watson and Fowler were quoted after the round blaming Mickelson's withdrawal on fans who repeatedly distracted Mickelson by snapping photos with cell phone cameras.
"Phil's a great player and a great champion, and it just took him out of his game. It's sad. It's sad that cell phones can make or break a championship," Watson said Thursday after shooting a 75.
Police said about 50 phones were confiscated from the Watson-Fowler gallery Friday. According to the Golf Channel, volunteers estimated they took more than 100 devices from the gallery following Tiger Woods, Fred Couples and Bill Haas on Friday.
Should fans be allowed to carry cell phones onto the course at major golf tournaments?
Tiger Woods snapped at a fan during the Memorial over cell phone usage and, even though he claimed fatigue, there's word Phil Mickelson withdrew from the tournament over cell phone photos. Len Berman thinks it's time to change the culture of golf
Golfers Snap Over Cell Phones
- Amateur Golf Star Patrick Cantlay Decides to Turn Pro
- Webb Simpson Rallies to Win U.S. Open by One
- Tiger Woods Makes Statement with Memorial Win
- Golfers Snap Over Cell Phones
- More Questions Than Answers After Bubba Watson Wins Masters
- Most Big Names No-Shows in Masters Drama
- Masterful Bubba Watson Outlasts Oosthuizen in Masters Playoff
- PGA Tour Party: Phoenix Open is Place to Be
- European Tour Continues Dance in the Desert at Qatar Masters
- Kyle Stanley's Last-Hole Collapse Hands Farmers Title to Snedeker
- School Of Rock: Englishman Tames Tiger, Wins HSBC Title
- Tom Lewis Named European Tour Rookie of Year
- Luke Donald is The King of Two Continents
- Tiger Restores the Roar: Woods Ends Winless Streak at Chevron
- Americans Win Down Under Take 19-15 Presidents Cup Victory
- Phil Mickelson Elected to World Golf Hall of Fame
- John Daly Meltdown: Controversial American Stomps Off at Australian Open
- Yani Tseng Turns Down Invite to PGA Tour's Puerto Rico Open
- Tiger Woods Has No Issue with Steve Williams Racial Gaffe
- Tom Lehman Looks to Make History at Champions Tour finale
- Yani Tseng May Compete Against the Men
- Tiger Woods Returns to PGA Tour
- Simpson Birdies Way to Deutsche Bank Championship in Playoff
- Chez Reavie Comeback Continues Despite Tough Finish at Deutsche Bank
- Thomas Bjorn Flys by Leaders Wins Easily at European Masters
- PGA Tour's Fedex Cup Playoffs: What Are They Really?
- Keegan Bradley: PGA Champion Shakes Off Triple-Bogey
- PGA History: Rookie Keegan Bradley Gets Major Win in Playoff with Dufner
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved