New Orleans, LA
Top ranked LSU is going to have to take out a familiar foe for the second time this season to win another national title.
When the final BCS standings were announced Sunday, Alabama barely stayed ahead of Oklahoma State and will meet the Tigers in the 2012 BCS National Championship Game Monday, January 9, 2012, at the Superdome.
LSU (13-0) beat Alabama (11-1) in overtime 9-6 in Tuscaloosa on Nov. 5. The fact that the Tigers had already defeated the Crimson Tide created some sentiment for the Cowboys to get a shot at LSU.
It didn't happen and the national title will be decided by a rematch that few are particularly happy about outside of SEC country.
"Our players and everyone associated with our program are very excited about the opportunity to play in the national championship game," said Alabama head coach Nick Saban. "We are very appreciative of the chance to play an LSU team that we have tremendous respect for and we are looking forward to the challenge."
LSU will be seeking its third BCS championship since 2003. The Superdome was the site of the Tigers' first two at the Superdome— the site of its first two.
"The good news is that we've been in this game before, understand what it means to play game with a month out and how to divide the time. We're prepared," LSU coach Les Miles said. "The first place we will start is the first game where we played them. It might be rendered as diferent. I think there will be some similarities and some contrasting styles."
Oklahoma State wrapped up the Big 12 title Saturday night with a 44-10 beatdown of Oklahoma. The win was enough to push the Cowboys closer to the Crimson Tide but not past them. Instead the Fiesta Bowl benefits with a matchup between No. 3 Oklahoma State and No. 4 Stanford.
Early BCS Breakdown
- Sandusky Posts Bail, Placed Under House Arrest; Wife States Support
- Big East Adds 5 New Programs Starting in 2013
- Illinois Names Tim Beckman New Football Coach
- Oregon State Freshman Football Player Fred Thompson Dies
- Ohio Economy Could Benefit with Urban Meyer Hiring at Ohio State
- LSU and Alabama Set for a Rematch in BCS Title Game
- Baylor's Griffin and Stanford's Luck Headline Heisman Finalists
- Alabama's Trent Richardson Favorite to Take Home Heisman?
- Former Syracuse Assistant Basketball Coach Fine Won't Face New York Charges
- New Sex Abuse Charges for Ex-Penn State Football Assistant Sandusky
- Paterno Had Business Deal with Second Mile Charity Board Members
- Linebacker U Products
- Southern Miss Football Coach Larry Fedora to Take Over at UNC
- Western Kentucky Rewards Coach Taggart with Four-Year Pact
- Football Factories or Learning Centers?
- Mathieu, Hilliard Spark LSU to Rout of Georgia in SEC Title Clash
- Defense, Ground Game Lead No. 3 Oklahoma State Past Rival Oklahoma
- Wisconsin Wins Round Two over Michigan State; Smell Roses Again
- Austin Davis, Southern Mississippi Crush Houston's BCS Dream
- Moore Leads Boise State to Rout of New Mexico
- UAB Set to Name Garrick McGee New Football Coach
- Oregon Romps to Pac-12 Title Game Win Over UCLA
- West Virginia Clinches Share of Big East Title, Keep BCS Bid Alive
- College Hoops Teams Capitalize on NBA Void
- Texas A&M, Football Coach Mike Sherman Part Ways After 6-6 Season
- Sex-Crime Groups Receive $1.5 Million Pledge from Penn State
- Ohio State Freshman QB Braxton Miller Shines on Big Stage
- New Sandusky Accuser Alleges Sex Abuse from Ex-Penn State Assistant
- Mike Leach to Take Over as Washington State Football Coach
- Urban Meyer Takes Over Ohio State Saying All the Right Things
- Urban Meyer Set to Become New Football Coach at Ohio State
- UCLA Dismisses Football Coach Neuheisel
- Turner Gill Out as Football Coach at Kansas
- Ron Zook Dismissed as Football Coach at Illinois
- Syracuse Assistant Basketball Coach Fine Fired Amid Child Molestation Allegations
- Case Against Syracuse Assistant Bernie Fine Takes Twist with Phone Call Revelation
- With Help of Luck, Stanford Downs Notre Dame
- Alabama Makes Case For BCS Title Game Spot With Rout of Auburn
- Quarterback Kellen Moore Directs Boise State to Victory vs Wyoming
- Urban Sprawl: Ohio State Falls to Michigan; Rumors Spread About Meyer Taking Over
- Denard Robinson Steers Michigan to Victory Over Ohio State
- Bernie Fine Probe Accelerated; Authorities Search Syracuse Assistant's Home
- Tyrann Mathieu Punt Return Sparks LSU Past Arkansas
- Houston Blows Out Tulsa To Keep BCS Dream Alive
- Nebraska Runs All Over Iowa
- Freshman Linebacker Hayes Pullard Coming Up Big for USC
- Big East Can't Lure BYU Football Into Fold
- Urban Meyer Denies Another Report Tabbing Him as New Ohio State Coach
- Sandusky's Bail Could Be Revoked, Could Be Jailed
- Michigan Enters Showdown With Ohio State Looking for 10th Win
- Arizona Hires Rich Rodriguez as New Football Coach
- Purdue Football Looks to Regroup After Hangover Loss
- Upset Saturday in College Football: OK State, Oregon, Oklahoma, Clemson Fall
- Syracuse Assistant Basketball Coach Bernie Fine Denies Sex Assault Accusations
- Ohio State and Urban Meyer May Have Mutual Interest For Coach Position
- AJ McCarron's Three TD Passes Power Alabama Over Georgia Southern
- Penn State Edges Ohio State to Move Within Win of Big Ten Title Shot
- James Vandenberg Tosses 3 TDs: Iowa upends Purdue
- Columbia University Marching Band Banned From Final Game of Season, Given Reprieve
- Joe Paterno has Treatable Form of Lung Cancer
- Coach K takes 903 from NYC; Sets Wins Mark as Duke tops MSU
- Key Files Missing From Jerry Sandusky's Charity
- McQueary's Story Adds Twist To Penn State Scandal
- Penn State Coach Mike McQueary Says He Stopped Alleged Sandusky Assault
- Sandusky Denies He's a Pedophile in TV Interview
- Big Ten Takes Paterno's Name Off Championship Trophy
- Giants Preparing for Ailing Vick and Eagles
- Weeden Throws Five TDs; Oklahoma State Demolishes Texas Tech
- Nebraska Holds Off Penn State on Emotional Day at Beaver Stadium
- Purdue Tops Ohio State in Overtime Thriller
- Duke's Coach K Captures 902nd Career Win
Copyright © 2011 Tribune Media Services