After spending the 2010 season with the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs' coaching staff, Charlie Weis returns to the Kansas City area for another coaching gig - - this time as the Jayhawks new football head coach.
Weis, 55, was introduced as the Jayhawks' coach during a new conference Friday.
Weis, expected to lead a turnaround for the struggling Jayhawks program, will replace Turner Gil, who was dismissed on Nov. 27. Gil was 5-19 overall and 1-16 against the Big 12 in just two seasons with the Jayhawks.
Weis, a disciple of Bill Parcels and Bill Belichick, is most notably known collegiately for his head coach stint at Notre Dame (2005-09).
Under the guidance of Weis, the Irish made BCS appearances in each of his first two seasons.
But Weis failed to replicate his impressive first two years with his alma mater, as Notre Dame went just 16-21 in his last three years. He was fired in 2009 after a 6-6 season.
For his college head coaching record, Weis has amassed a 35-27 mark.
His professional coaching career began in 1990 when he was named as the Giants' offensive assistant and assistant special teams coach under head coach Parcells.
He then spent four years with the Patriots (1993-96), serving as the tight end coach for the first two years. He helped New England capture three Super Bowls.
Weis also spent time with the New York Jets (1997-'99). He became the Jets offensive coordinator in 1997.
After his stint with the Irish, Weis moved on to the NFL's Chiefs in 2010 as the team's offensive coordinator. He spent this past season with the Florida Gators as their offensive coordinator.
RG3 wins Heisman
- Cincinnati and Xavier Issue Suspensions Following Ugly Brawl
- North Carolina Edges Charlotte for NCAA Men's Soccer Title
- Irony Bowl: Florida Gators Take on Ohio State with Urban Meyer Looming
- Baylor QB Robert Griffin III Captures 2011 Heisman Trophy
- Sumlin Returns as New Texas A&M Head Coach
- Jim L. Mora to be Named Football Coach at UCLA
- Charlie Weis Introduced as New Football Coach at Kansas
- Sandusky Posts Bail, Placed Under House Arrest; Wife States Support
- Big East Adds 5 New Programs Starting in 2013
- Illinois Names Tim Beckman New Football Coach
- Oregon State Freshman Football Player Fred Thompson Dies
- Ohio Economy Could Benefit with Urban Meyer Hiring at Ohio State
- LSU and Alabama Set for a Rematch in BCS Title Game
- Baylor's Griffin and Stanford's Luck Headline Heisman Finalists
- Alabama's Trent Richardson Favorite to Take Home Heisman?
- Former Syracuse Assistant Basketball Coach Fine Won't Face New York Charges
- New Sex Abuse Charges for Ex-Penn State Football Assistant Sandusky
- Paterno Had Business Deal with Second Mile Charity Board Members
- Linebacker U Products
- Southern Miss Football Coach Larry Fedora to Take Over at UNC
- Western Kentucky Rewards Coach Taggart with Four-Year Pact
- Football Factories or Learning Centers?
- Mathieu, Hilliard Spark LSU to Rout of Georgia in SEC Title Clash
- Defense, Ground Game Lead No. 3 Oklahoma State Past Rival Oklahoma
- Wisconsin Wins Round Two over Michigan State; Smell Roses Again
- Austin Davis, Southern Mississippi Crush Houston's BCS Dream
- Moore Leads Boise State to Rout of New Mexico
- UAB Set to Name Garrick McGee New Football Coach
- Oregon Romps to Pac-12 Title Game Win Over UCLA
- West Virginia Clinches Share of Big East Title, Keep BCS Bid Alive
- College Hoops Teams Capitalize on NBA Void
- Texas A&M, Football Coach Mike Sherman Part Ways After 6-6 Season
- Sex-Crime Groups Receive $1.5 Million Pledge from Penn State
- Ohio State Freshman QB Braxton Miller Shines on Big Stage
- New Sandusky Accuser Alleges Sex Abuse from Ex-Penn State Assistant
- Mike Leach to Take Over as Washington State Football Coach
- Urban Meyer Takes Over Ohio State Saying All the Right Things
- Urban Meyer Set to Become New Football Coach at Ohio State
- UCLA Dismisses Football Coach Neuheisel
- Turner Gill Out as Football Coach at Kansas
- Ron Zook Dismissed as Football Coach at Illinois
- Syracuse Assistant Basketball Coach Fine Fired Amid Child Molestation Allegations
- Case Against Syracuse Assistant Bernie Fine Takes Twist with Phone Call Revelation
- With Help of Luck, Stanford Downs Notre Dame
- Alabama Makes Case For BCS Title Game Spot With Rout of Auburn
- Quarterback Kellen Moore Directs Boise State to Victory vs Wyoming
- Urban Sprawl: Ohio State Falls to Michigan; Rumors Spread About Meyer Taking Over
- Denard Robinson Steers Michigan to Victory Over Ohio State
- Bernie Fine Probe Accelerated; Authorities Search Syracuse Assistant's Home
- Tyrann Mathieu Punt Return Sparks LSU Past Arkansas
- Houston Blows Out Tulsa To Keep BCS Dream Alive
- Nebraska Runs All Over Iowa
- Freshman Linebacker Hayes Pullard Coming Up Big for USC
- Big East Can't Lure BYU Football Into Fold
- Urban Meyer Denies Another Report Tabbing Him as New Ohio State Coach
- Sandusky's Bail Could Be Revoked, Could Be Jailed
- Michigan Enters Showdown With Ohio State Looking for 10th Win
- Arizona Hires Rich Rodriguez as New Football Coach
- Purdue Football Looks to Regroup After Hangover Loss
- Upset Saturday in College Football: OK State, Oregon, Oklahoma, Clemson Fall
- Syracuse Assistant Basketball Coach Bernie Fine Denies Sex Assault Accusations
- Ohio State and Urban Meyer May Have Mutual Interest For Coach Position
- AJ McCarron's Three TD Passes Power Alabama Over Georgia Southern
- Penn State Edges Ohio State to Move Within Win of Big Ten Title Shot
- James Vandenberg Tosses 3 TDs: Iowa upends Purdue
- Columbia University Marching Band Banned From Final Game of Season, Given Reprieve
- Joe Paterno has Treatable Form of Lung Cancer
- Coach K takes 903 from NYC; Sets Wins Mark as Duke tops MSU
- Key Files Missing From Jerry Sandusky's Charity
- McQueary's Story Adds Twist To Penn State Scandal
- Penn State Coach Mike McQueary Says He Stopped Alleged Sandusky Assault
- Sandusky Denies He's a Pedophile in TV Interview
- Big Ten Takes Paterno's Name Off Championship Trophy
- Giants Preparing for Ailing Vick and Eagles
- Weeden Throws Five TDs; Oklahoma State Demolishes Texas Tech
- Nebraska Holds Off Penn State on Emotional Day at Beaver Stadium
- Purdue Tops Ohio State in Overtime Thriller
- Duke's Coach K Captures 902nd Career Win
Copyright © 2011 Tribune Media Services