Djokovic Rips Roddick, Advances to Third Round at Olympics
2012 London Summer Olympics
Serbian Novak Djokovic needed just 54 minutes to beat American Andy Roddick, 6-2, 6-1, to advance to the third round of the Olympic tennis event.
Djokovic, bronze medalist in the 2008 Beijing Games, converted all four of his break point opportunities and hit 34 winners to seal a meeting with Lleyton Hewitt of Australia. Hewitt defeated Croatian No. 13 seed Marin Cilic 6-4, 7-5 in one hour and 36 minutes.
"It was the perfect match in every sense. I delivered my best game, I think, so far this year on grass courts," said Djokovic, who Djokovic, who unleashed 14 aces against Roddick.
"I didn't expect to serve as many aces, but both of my matches that I've played here I've served really, really well. So that's something encouraging for the next challenge," added Djokovic, whose victory kept him on pace with Roger Federer in the battle for the No. 1 world ranking.
If both Federer and Djokovic make it as far as the quarter-finals, then Federer must win one more match than Djokovic to retain the World No. 1 ranking. Federer plays Denis Istomin Wednesday.
"He played great. He was just in the zone. The conditions were perfect. He was hitting it well," Roddick said.
"If he is hitting the ball like that, my chance is to serve really well. I didn't serve great today. I hit the ball fine, [but] he was just too good from the baseline. He was seeing it like a basketball today," he added.
In other matches, Andy Murray of Britain advanced to the third round after beating Jarkko Nieminen of Finland, 6-2, 6-4 while Kei Nishikori of Japan beat Nikolay Davydenko of Russia, 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 and Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus defeated Richard Gasquet of France, 6-4, 6-4, to advance.
In the women's division, Venus Williams barged into the third round after beating Aleksandra Wozniak of Canada, 6-1, 6-3.
Williams will next face No. 7 Angelique Kerber of Germany, who beat Timea Babos of Hungary 6-1, 6-1.
Meanwhile, Maria Sharapova hammered 10 aces to beat Laura Robson of Britain, 7-6 (5), 6-3. The third-seeded Sharapova, will next play Germany's Sabine Lisicki, who defeated Yaroslava Shvedova, 4-6, 6-3, 7-5.
Julia Goerges of Germany defeated American Varvara Lepchenko, 6-3, 7-5 while Nadia Petrova of Russia prevailed over Anna Tatishvili of Georgia, 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-2.
2012 London Olympics - videos
- The Social Media Games
- London 2012 Olympics Week 1 Recap
- Galen Rupp Wins Historic Silver in Men's 10,000 Meters
- Team USA Blazes Through 100-Meter Sprint Heats
- USA Men Suffer First Water Polo Setback with 11-6 Loss to Serbia
- United States Olympic Men's Volleyball Team Falls to Russia
- LeBron James Helps Rally USA Men to 99-94 Victory Over Lithuania
- United States Overwhelms Czech Republic in Women's Basketball
- American Olympic Boxer's Loss Overturned
- Leuris Pupo Brings Cheers to Medal-Starved Cuba
- United States Women Pursue Soccer Gold After Crushing New Zealand
- Brits Strike It Rich in Olympic Cycling After Opening-Day Blunder
- American Swimmers Roll On
- Golden Run Continues: Michael Phelps Swells Medals Tally to 21
- Federer Escapes del Potro, Advances to Olympic Final vs Murray
- Michael Phelps: Triple Golds in the Pool
- Gabby Douglas: America's Newest Sweetheart
- Guor Marial Once Ran For His Life; Now He's Running For Gold
- Lithuanian Spectator Arrested for Nazi Salute
- Sharapova and Serena Battle for Olympic Tennis Gold
- Brazil's Yane Marques Carrying a Dream of a Nation
- Team USA Basketballers Draw Praise from Dream Team
- USA Sets All-Time Olympic Scoring Record in Blowout of Nigeria
- Team USA vs Nigeria Post-Game Quotes
- Team USA vs Nigeria Box Score
- Spain Survives Great Britain in Men's Basketball
- Olympic Volleyball: U.S. Men Upset Brazil
- Gabby Douglas Captures All-Around Event Gymnastics Gold
- Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Win in 3
- Gibb and Rosenthal Win Fast, Win Pool
- Olympic Volleyball: U.S. Women Trim China to Stay Undefeated
- Michael Phelps Eclipses Overall Medal Count Record
- Federer and Wawrinka Stunned in Olympic Doubles
- Badminton Fixing Scandal Breaks Out at Olympics
- Wiggins Clinches Time Trial Gold
- France Trips Canada - Books Trip to Women's Basketball Quarterfinals
- Tancredi Scores Twice as Canada Moves on With Draw Against Sweden
- Army Sergeant Hancock Shoots Down Skeet Gold for Second Time
- Bradley Wiggins Firm Favorite in Olympic Cycling
- Battered and Bruised Spain Overcomes Australia in Men's Olympic Basketball
- Djokovic On Course for Olympic Showdown with Nemesis Federer
- Ruta Meilutyte Sets New Benchmark in Olympic Swimming
- United States Women Gymnasts Capture First Team Gold Since 1996
- Munich Massacre Survivor Remembers
- Michael Phelps Equals Medals Mark
- Djokovic Rips Roddick, Advances to Third Round at Olympics
- Spain Routs Australia for Second Olympic Basketball Win
- Swimmer Missy Franklin New Face of American Olympians
- Diving Queen Wu Mingxia Nets Hat-Trick
- Chinese Teen Swim Sensation Says She's Clean
- Marcus Browne Loss Snaps US Win Streak in Olympic Boxing
- Thorburn Leads Canada Past Great Britain in Women's Basketball
- China Drubs Croatia in Women's Olympics Basketball
- Chastain to Solo: 'I'm Just Doing My Job' in Women's Soccer Squabble
- Rhode Rides On Determination to Clinch Gold in Skeet
- Murray Tops Wawrinka at Summer Games; Radwanska Falls to Goerges
- Identity of 'Mystery' Woman with Indian Contingent Revealed
- Olympic Tickets Sold Out Yet Stadiums Are Empty
- World Champ Jordyn Wieber Disappoints in All-Around Gymnastics
- Kevin Durant Nets 22 Points as Team USA Clobbers France
- Superb Skeet Shooter: Kimberly Rhode Shoots Way to Gold
- Yi Siling Clinches First Gold at Games; Wins Shooting Event
- Kazakhstan's Vinokourov Captures Gold in Road Racing
- Albanian Weightlifter Expelled After Testing Positive for Stanozolol
- Big Letdown for Phelps as Lochte and Chinese Swimmers Take Limelight
- London Welcomes the World with Spectacular and Inclusive Opening Ceremony
- Breakdown of the London Olympics Opening Ceremony
- London Olympics Photos: Stunning Pictures from the Opening Ceremony
- Dong-Hyun Eclipses own World-Record in Archery
- United States and Brazil Favorites to Battle for Olympic Volleyball Gold
- Healthy Usain Could Also 'Bolt From Blue' in 4x400M Relay
- London Olympics Kicks Off with Fireworks
- Michael Phelps Set to Swim for More Gold at London Games
- Greek Tragedy: Two Athletes Shipped Home from Olympics
- London Games Organizers Apologize After Korean Flag Blunder
- Roger Federer and Fellow Tennis Stars Take Swing at Olympic Gold
- Japan Shocks Spain in Olympic Soccer Opener
- Ben Ainslie, British Sailors to Launch Olympic Bid at Weymouth Beach
- Greek High Jumper Tests Positive for Steroids
- Greek Triple Jumper Expelled for Controversial Tweet
- Greece Carries Weight of Economic Crisis to London Olympics
- How to Be a Millionaire? Win Gold for Georgia
Copyright © 2012 AHN. All rights reserved