London, England, United Kingdom
Designer Stella McCartney is going for the gold with her latest designs for Britain's 2012 Summer Olympic athletes.
The iconic designer, and daughter of the legendary former Beatle Paul McCartney, unveiled her Adidas Team GB line recently at a show at the Tower of London. Great Britain's Olympic athletes will wear the line at the upcoming Summer Games.
McCartney's collection was modeled by more than 30 athletes, from basketball and soccer players to swimmers to Paralympics sprinters.
The designer said she took her inspiration from the Union Jack flag, which adorned each look.
Sequined variations covered leotards, while printed versions were on T-shirts and jackets.
McCartney gushed to UK Vogue that she knows she is biased, but she considers her country's flag as one of the most iconic. She said she wanted to create something for the nation, and the Union Jack seemed the "right place to start."
Aware of the fact that the flag might be "overused" in the buildup to the Olympics, McCartney noted she wanted to do something a bit different with it, but that was still respectful of its beauty.
Recognizing that the Union Jack colors are similar to a lot of other flags, and the fact the athletes really want to feel identifiable as Team Great Britain, McCartney used different colors to say the same thing.
McCartney told the magazine she had been working on the line for two years. McCartney gushed that more than anything, she felt so proud of the athletes and felt just so excited realizing "the whole thing is happening in our city."
London is the host of the 2012 Summer Olympics, which will run from July 27 to Aug. 12.
- Samsung and Visa Team Up for Limited Edition Galaxy S III
- Michael Phelps to Retire After 2012 Summer Olympics
- Britain May Deploy Missiles for 2012 London Summer Olympics
- Olympic-Bound Sailors Set Bearings Using Navy SEAL-Style Training
- Sailing Star Ben Ainslie on Course for 2012 London Olympics
- Burkas to Tracksuits
- David Beckham's Olympic Dream Still Alive
- Stella McCartney Unveils Adidas Line for London 2012 Olympics
- Saudi Women on Their Way to London Olympics
- Female Beach Volleyball Players Can Shed Bikinis at 2012 Olympics
- United States Men's Soccer Team Fails In Olympic Qualifying Bid
- New Zealand Women's Match-Racing Crew on Course for London Olympics
- Olympic Brands Accused of Labor Abuse Scandal
- Siblings Zach and Paige Railey Ready for Sailing Event at Olympics
- Teen Table Tennis Star Ariel Hsing Balancing School and Olympic Dream
- Saudis to Let Women Compete in Olympics
- Usain Bolt Eyes Four Golds at 2012 London Olympics
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved