Michael Phelps Equals Medals Mark
2012 London Summer Olympics
The entire world is eyeing a gold medal from Michael Phelps, but the champion swimmer doesn't have his eyes set on the top podium finish, at least not yet.
At the Aquatics Center, little known South African Chad le Clos warded off the famous American's challenge to clinch gold in 1:52.96 sec, while the champion swimmer had to settle for silver with a timing of 1:53.01.
But the silver helped the 27-year-old American equal the record for the most number of medals in an Olympic career. After the disappointment of the 400m individual medley, this was the occasion when Phelps could have shown he still had the hunger to clinch gold.
He led at every turn in his pursuit to become the first man in history to win the same swimming event at the Olympics three consecutive times, but got beaten by just five-hundredths of a second. Japan's Takeshi Matsuda clinched bronze in 1:53.21.
With this silver, Phelps is tied with gymnast Larisa Latynina of the erstwhile Soviet Union who clinched 18 Olympic medals.
Yannick Agnel is fast becoming the American bugbear and there is precious little the likes of Ryan Lochte can do about it. On Monday evening, he won the men's 200m freestyle in superb fashion to add to the 4x100m relay gold, which helped France win at the US quartet's expense Sunday.
But, there was some saving grace for the US team as teenager Missy Franklin helped her country stay ahead of France in the swimming medals race.
Agnel, whose amazing anchor leg handed France the upset relay win over the US Sunday, gave another outstanding performance in the 200m freestyle, winning in 1min 43.14sec, though he couldn't breach the world record.
Even as Agnel earned France their third swimming gold in London, Lochte was nowhere near the podium after South Korea's Park Tae-Hwan and China's Sun Yang dead-heated for silver in 1:44.93sec --- nearly two seconds behind the leader.
World champion Lochte, who quelled all challenge with a heavy hand in the men's 400m medley, was fourth and Germany's world-record holder, Paul Biedermann, was fifth.
A dazed Agnel, who clocked the best time since the state-of-the-art bodysuits were banned by FINA in 2010, told the media after the race that he wasn't expecting gold in the event. His joy knew no bounds as he was congratulated by French President Francois Hollande at the poolside.
"I had a race plan in my head, but this is above my hopes and expectations," he was quoted as telling the media.
Though Lochte was a huge disappontment after the high of the 400m individual medley gold and relay silver, 17-year-old Missy Franklin lived up to her expectations, overcoming the challenge of Australia's Emily Seebohm to win the women's 100m backstroke title in 58.33sec.
Seebohm was a close second in 58.68 sec, while Japan's Aya Terakawa bagged the bronze in 58.83.
Amy Van Dyken on Missy Franklin's gold, Lochte and Phelps
Remarkable Moments: Olympics Day 4
2012 London Olympics - videos
- The Social Media Games
- London 2012 Olympics Week 1 Recap
- Galen Rupp Wins Historic Silver in Men's 10,000 Meters
- Team USA Blazes Through 100-Meter Sprint Heats
- USA Men Suffer First Water Polo Setback with 11-6 Loss to Serbia
- United States Olympic Men's Volleyball Team Falls to Russia
- LeBron James Helps Rally USA Men to 99-94 Victory Over Lithuania
- United States Overwhelms Czech Republic in Women's Basketball
- American Olympic Boxer's Loss Overturned
- Leuris Pupo Brings Cheers to Medal-Starved Cuba
- United States Women Pursue Soccer Gold After Crushing New Zealand
- Brits Strike It Rich in Olympic Cycling After Opening-Day Blunder
- American Swimmers Roll On
- Golden Run Continues: Michael Phelps Swells Medals Tally to 21
- Federer Escapes del Potro, Advances to Olympic Final vs Murray
- Michael Phelps: Triple Golds in the Pool
- Gabby Douglas: America's Newest Sweetheart
- Guor Marial Once Ran For His Life; Now He's Running For Gold
- Lithuanian Spectator Arrested for Nazi Salute
- Sharapova and Serena Battle for Olympic Tennis Gold
- Brazil's Yane Marques Carrying a Dream of a Nation
- Team USA Basketballers Draw Praise from Dream Team
- USA Sets All-Time Olympic Scoring Record in Blowout of Nigeria
- Team USA vs Nigeria Post-Game Quotes
- Team USA vs Nigeria Box Score
- Spain Survives Great Britain in Men's Basketball
- Olympic Volleyball: U.S. Men Upset Brazil
- Gabby Douglas Captures All-Around Event Gymnastics Gold
- Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Win in 3
- Gibb and Rosenthal Win Fast, Win Pool
- Olympic Volleyball: U.S. Women Trim China to Stay Undefeated
- Michael Phelps Eclipses Overall Medal Count Record
- Federer and Wawrinka Stunned in Olympic Doubles
- Badminton Fixing Scandal Breaks Out at Olympics
- Wiggins Clinches Time Trial Gold
- France Trips Canada - Books Trip to Women's Basketball Quarterfinals
- Tancredi Scores Twice as Canada Moves on With Draw Against Sweden
- Army Sergeant Hancock Shoots Down Skeet Gold for Second Time
- Bradley Wiggins Firm Favorite in Olympic Cycling
- Battered and Bruised Spain Overcomes Australia in Men's Olympic Basketball
- Djokovic On Course for Olympic Showdown with Nemesis Federer
- Ruta Meilutyte Sets New Benchmark in Olympic Swimming
- United States Women Gymnasts Capture First Team Gold Since 1996
- Munich Massacre Survivor Remembers
- Michael Phelps Equals Medals Mark
- Djokovic Rips Roddick, Advances to Third Round at Olympics
- Spain Routs Australia for Second Olympic Basketball Win
- Swimmer Missy Franklin New Face of American Olympians
- Diving Queen Wu Mingxia Nets Hat-Trick
- Chinese Teen Swim Sensation Says She's Clean
- Marcus Browne Loss Snaps US Win Streak in Olympic Boxing
- Thorburn Leads Canada Past Great Britain in Women's Basketball
- China Drubs Croatia in Women's Olympics Basketball
- Chastain to Solo: 'I'm Just Doing My Job' in Women's Soccer Squabble
- Rhode Rides On Determination to Clinch Gold in Skeet
- Murray Tops Wawrinka at Summer Games; Radwanska Falls to Goerges
- Identity of 'Mystery' Woman with Indian Contingent Revealed
- Olympic Tickets Sold Out Yet Stadiums Are Empty
- World Champ Jordyn Wieber Disappoints in All-Around Gymnastics
- Kevin Durant Nets 22 Points as Team USA Clobbers France
- Superb Skeet Shooter: Kimberly Rhode Shoots Way to Gold
- Yi Siling Clinches First Gold at Games; Wins Shooting Event
- Kazakhstan's Vinokourov Captures Gold in Road Racing
- Albanian Weightlifter Expelled After Testing Positive for Stanozolol
- Big Letdown for Phelps as Lochte and Chinese Swimmers Take Limelight
- London Welcomes the World with Spectacular and Inclusive Opening Ceremony
- Breakdown of the London Olympics Opening Ceremony
- London Olympics Photos: Stunning Pictures from the Opening Ceremony
- Dong-Hyun Eclipses own World-Record in Archery
- United States and Brazil Favorites to Battle for Olympic Volleyball Gold
- Healthy Usain Could Also 'Bolt From Blue' in 4x400M Relay
- London Olympics Kicks Off with Fireworks
- Michael Phelps Set to Swim for More Gold at London Games
- Greek Tragedy: Two Athletes Shipped Home from Olympics
- London Games Organizers Apologize After Korean Flag Blunder
- Roger Federer and Fellow Tennis Stars Take Swing at Olympic Gold
- Japan Shocks Spain in Olympic Soccer Opener
- Ben Ainslie, British Sailors to Launch Olympic Bid at Weymouth Beach
- Greek High Jumper Tests Positive for Steroids
- Greek Triple Jumper Expelled for Controversial Tweet
- Greece Carries Weight of Economic Crisis to London Olympics
- How to Be a Millionaire? Win Gold for Georgia
Copyright © 2012 AHN. All rights reserved