Premier League: Swansea Draws United; Chelsea Batters Villa
Swansea City, United Kingdom
Swansea tied the game, 1-1, to keep Manchester United from extending their lead in the title race to six points in Saturday's Premier League match.
Patrice Evra put the visitors ahead, arriving to glance a header in off the far post from a Van Persie corner.
But Evra was caught out by Jonathan De Guzman's clever run and when De Gea could only parry the Dutchman's angled shot, Michu was on hand to tap in.
The goal added an extra bite to Swansea's play and it had the better of the remainder of the opening half.
The second half started at a furious pace and there were chances for both sides.
In the other match, Chelsea smashed Aston Villa for eight unanswered goals at Stamford Bridge.
Fernando Torres got a power header inside three minutes before a stunning free-kick by David Luiz and a Branislav Ivanovic header madeit three point by the break.
Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan did his best to limit the damage with a string of fine saves in the second half, but he could not keep out Frank Lampard's stinging long-range effort before Ramires slotted a fifth between his legs.
Oscar made it six in the 79th minute and Eden Hazard became the seventh different goalscorer when he lashed home, while Ramires made it eight.
Paul Lambert's men were brought back to earth with a bump following last week's impressive win at Liverpool.
With the win, Chelsea sits at third in the Premier League on Christmas.
- Van Persie, Vidic Goals Lead Manchester United Past Liverpool
- Real Madrid Settles for Scoreless Draw with Osasuna
- Michu, Graham Score as Swansea Tops Chelsea in Capital One Cup
- Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Title for Fourth Straight Time
- Liverpool Holds Off Mansfield Town to Advance in FA Cup
- Van Persie Late Goal Lifts Man United into Tie with West Ham
- Mets Interested in Hosting MLS Squad at Citi Field
- Suarez Nets Pair as Liverpool Blanks Sunderland
- Manchester United Begins 2013 on Winning Note, Blanks Wigan 4-0
- Lampard Lifts Chelsea Over Everton
- Wigan Blasts Aston Villa 3-0
- Swansea Draws United; Chelsea Batters Villa
- Stoppage Time Goal Powers Manchester City Over Reading
- Chelsea Dominates Leeds United in FL Cup Quarterfinals
- Lionel Messi Extends Barcelona Deal Until 2018
- Cazorla Hat Trick Powers Arsenal Past Reading
- Manchester City Tops Newcastle in Premier League
- Premier League, Top Soccer Clubs Acting Soft Over Racial Issues
- Van Persie's Clutch Goal Lifts United over City in Manchester Derby
- Messi Sets Record for Most Goals Scored in Calendar Year
- Injured Terry to Miss Chelsea's Club World Cup Campaign
- Messi Injury Not as Serious as Feared
- Galaxy Silence Dynamo to Win Second Straight MLS Cup
- Lorrie Fair Gives Pointers to Afghan Women Soccer Team
Copyright © 2012 AHN - All Rights Reserved