Pep Guardiola to Coach Bayern Munich
Bayern Munich has signed Pep Guardiola for a three-year coaching deal beginning next season.
He replaces Jupp Heynckes, 67, who is completing his third stint as Bayern coach and wanted to end his career when his contract expires at the end of the season.
Bayern chairman Uli Hoeness said that only someone of Pep Guardiola's caliber could be an adequate replacement for Heynckes.
Guardiola, 41, won 14 titles with Barcelona before stepping down last season.
On Tuesday he expressed his desire to coach in England.
"It is unique, to play in that league," he told FATV. "I want to feel the supporters, the environment, the media and the style of the players. "I have always found English football fascinating. The support of the home team is amazing."
But Guardiola eventually chose Bayern of Germany's Bundisliga because it was the best offer, according to his agent Josep Maria Orobitg.
"We have been passing up offers," Orobitg said. "This one (Bayern) is not the one that offered the most money.
He has elected it for its organization and all the possibilities he sees for his players."
- Ryan Giggs, Robin van Persie Power Manchester United Past Everton
- Puncheon and Davis Score Early as Southampton Shocks Manchester City
- Europol Looking into Alleged Match-Fixing
- US Women Crush Scotland in Coach Sermanni Debut
- Michael Essien Says La Liga Better than Premier League
- Barcelona Locks in Lionel Messi Up to 2018
- Honduras Stuns United States in FIFA World Cup Qualifier
- AC Milan VP's Racist Slur Against Mario Balotelli Caught on Video
- David Beckham Signs Five-Month Deal with Paris St-Germain
- Den Bosch FC Apologizes to Jozy Altidore for Racist Chants
- AC Milan Acquires Troubled Striker Mario Balotelli from Man City
- Forbes Places Manchester United's Value at $3.3B
- Lionel Messi Scores Four Goals Against Osasuna, Sets Another Record
- Varney, McCormack Score as Leeds Eliminates Tottenham from FA Cup
- Chelsea's Eden Hazard Awaits Further Punishment for Kicking Ballboy
- Landon Donovan Expected to Return to LA Galaxy
- Dempsey Injury-Time Goal Lifts Tottenham Into Tie vs Man United
- Subdued Excitement as South Africa Hosts Africa Cup of Nations
- Pep Guardiola to Coach Bayern Munich
- Jack Wilshere Goal Powers Arsenal Past Swansea City
- Van Persie, Vidic Goals Lead Manchester United Past Liverpool
- Real Madrid Settles for Scoreless Draw with Osasuna
- Michu, Graham Score as Swansea Tops Chelsea in Capital One Cup
- Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Title for Fourth Straight Time
- Liverpool Holds Off Mansfield Town to Advance in FA Cup
- Van Persie Late Goal Lifts Man United into Tie with West Ham
- Mets Interested in Hosting MLS Squad at Citi Field
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved