Michu, Graham Score as Swansea Tops Chelsea in Capital One Cup
Michu scored his 16th goal of the season and Danny Graham added a late score as Swansea defeated Chelsea, 2-0, in the first leg of their Capital One Cup semifinal encounter at Stamford Bridge.
Michu scored in the 39th minute while Graham delivered a goal in extra time to put Chelsea within reach of its first-ever major Wembley Cup final.
The second leg of the match will be played at Liberty Stadium with Swansea holding a two-goal lead.
Chelsea dominated the early exchanges and took just 10 minutes to carve out a great chance with David Luiz and Eden Hazard combining beautifully but goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel was there to block the attempt.
Minutes later, Chelsea was at it again but midfielder Juan Mata kicked the ball wide.
Swansea capitalized on a mistake by Branislav Ivanovic, who failed to control a pass by goalkeeper Ross Turnbull and lost the ball to midfielder Jonathan de Guzman.
Then, the ball went to Michu, who took a touch before unleashing a shot past Turnbull to put Swansea on the board.
Frustrated with Chelsea's poor play, the fans turned on much-maligned striker Fernando Torres, booing the Spaniard and calling on manager Rafael Benite to put in Demba Ba .
Torres, who was making his 100th appearance for the Blues, managed 81 minutes despite another rather poor performance, threatening rarely before being pulled out.
Benitez gave in to the incessant crowd and introduced Ba with just 10 minutes remaining in the game.
During that short cameo, he looked considerably more dangerous than Torres, going close twice before having a goal disallowed for being marginally offside.
After Graham scored his second goal, the fans then turned on Benitez, calling for his dismissal and the return of former manager Roberto Di Matteo.
- Van Persie, Vidic Goals Lead Manchester United Past Liverpool
- Real Madrid Settles for Scoreless Draw with Osasuna
- Michu, Graham Score as Swansea Tops Chelsea in Capital One Cup
- Lionel Messi Wins Ballon D'or Title for Fourth Straight Time
- Liverpool Holds Off Mansfield Town to Advance in FA Cup
- Van Persie Late Goal Lifts Man United into Tie with West Ham
- Mets Interested in Hosting MLS Squad at Citi Field
- Suarez Nets Pair as Liverpool Blanks Sunderland
- Manchester United Begins 2013 on Winning Note, Blanks Wigan 4-0
- Lampard Lifts Chelsea Over Everton
- Wigan Blasts Aston Villa 3-0
- Swansea Draws United; Chelsea Batters Villa
- Stoppage Time Goal Powers Manchester City Over Reading
- Chelsea Dominates Leeds United in FL Cup Quarterfinals
- Lionel Messi Extends Barcelona Deal Until 2018
- Cazorla Hat Trick Powers Arsenal Past Reading
- Manchester City Tops Newcastle in Premier League
- Premier League, Top Soccer Clubs Acting Soft Over Racial Issues
- Van Persie's Clutch Goal Lifts United over City in Manchester Derby
- Messi Sets Record for Most Goals Scored in Calendar Year
Copyright © 2013 AHN - All Rights Reserved